• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moopey's LR-308 Build Thread

I really appreciate the offer. A local member of a .308 forum offered to meet up at the plymouth range tomorrow to see if his bolt would make a difference. If the plans fall through I'll take you up on your offer. Gotta love NES!

Bring your bolt and gauges too. Maybe he can help if you're just doing something wrong.

I've ordered another Troy rail, this time in the low profile version. The only place I could find it in stock was DPMS....well, it didn't say out of stock, so I'm hoping it wont take too long so I can return the other to Brownells.

Here are some overall pics I took tonight. I finally figured out how to attach photos. haha.

Complete1.jpg Complete2.jpg Complete3.jpg Complete4.jpg Complete5.jpg

Looks awesome. Planning on putting any optics on it? I just got my scope this week...need to build the rifle still though [laugh]

Update: Just got back from the Plymouth range. Turns out the person I met had the same BCG assembly so that made things even easier. We first tested my bolt in his rifle by simply putting the bolt in the upper and seeing if rotated. I have never seen this test, but the person I was with seemed to know what he was doing and trusted it. My tested fine in his rifle for this non fire test. He then put his bolt in my upper and did the same test and it did not pass. This made us suspect the barrel. Seeing that my bolt was most likely fine we put it back together and slapped my entire BCG assembly into his rifle. Everything seemed ok still, so he felt comfortable test firing it. He fire one shot and it worked perfectly. This confirmed there is something wrong with the barrel.

I'll be contacting Fulton Armory monday morning to see what they say. I'll keep you all posted.

Looks awesome. Planning on putting any optics on it? I just got my scope this week...need to build the rifle still though [laugh]

I may start with some iron sights, but I eventually want to get a scope. Gotta pay off the rifle first though. haha

Ya know moopey, the more I thought about your problem, I think I have a solution.

I live in Worcester. I'll come by your house this week, and just take this AR off your hands. It is just going to cause you too many problems.

I'll PM you for where you want to meet and do the FTF.

[rofl]

Ya know moopey, the more I thought about your problem, I think I have a solution.

I live in Worcester. I'll come by your house this week, and just take this AR off your hands. It is just going to cause you too many problems.

I'll PM you for where you want to meet and do the FTF. rofl]

Everyone says your a stand up guy.....but that would be going above and beyond. I'd hate to burden you with that. [laugh]

I just got off the phone with Fulton Armory. After being talked downed to for a couple minutes and being told I should of bought a bolt from them numerous times, it seems my only course of action is to send them my barrel and stripped bolt, pay them a fee of $50 to check the head spacing and then from there I'll either have to pay for them to modify the barrel or bolt, or buy a bolt from them. Seems like I'm going to have to pay either way for not buying their bolt.

Uh oh. I was thinking of getting a FA barrel, and I have the same BCG as you. I'm wondering if I should reconsider that now.

I would not be sending them my barrel and BCG to them. No way.

I also would not buy another BCG from them. Who is to say they are even checking the headspace properly.

They need to just replace the barrel. Or, ask for a refund, and buy a 308 barrel elsewhere.

It was a fairly annoying conversation, the guys tone was just off. I specifically asked "so this isn't just a case of the barrel being defective and returning it?". His response was "no, the barrel isn't defective." He seemed annoyed by this question. When he mentioned buying a bolt from them, my response was that I'd really like to use the bolt I've already purchased. He said he understood, but couldn't really comment on what the outcome would be without looking at everything, which I get. I had a feeling I might have to send the bolt back with the barrel. Someone on the forum mentioned that. But having to pay for shipping back and forth, and the diagnostic fee, and then whatever other fee kind of bothered me.

I tried going to Dave Senturi in attleboro but after driving 30 minutes it turned out he wasn't there......also annoying, but I guess I should of called first. I'll try to go by there tomorrow. I'd rather give my money to him to see if he can fix it rather than give any more money to Fulton Armory.

I'd consider just returning the barrel, unfortunately I don't know if I'd find one like it and I've already purchased and installed other parts around it. If anyone knows of a 16" barrel with a rifle length gas system that takes a .625" gas block let me know.

Oh and to top it all off.....When discussing shipping I asked what the shipping address was. The guys response was a wise ass comment like "we only have one" or some shit. Like I was an idiot for asking....."Don't you have an invoice?" I finally just said that I could get it from their website I just wanted to make sure that was the same address to ship things to. Then finally to wrap it all up I said "and what's your name again Sir?" his response in a condescending tone....."I'm Clint. The owner". So apparently being a dick goes all the way to the top.

Even if you send it to them you really think they will own up to it being a bad barrel? Sounds like they will just say it's a bad bolt and try to sell you one.

That's the impression I got since it was absurd to think the barrel might be defective.

that blows.. i'm going to do one of these builds at some point, and its good to know to steer clear of FA.

that blows.. i'm going to do one of these builds at some point, and its good to know to steer clear of FA.

So true! I have most of the parts I need for a 308 build and the barrel is one of the last items. They are SO hard to find to start with and most places are out of stock. I've signed up for notifications from quite a few places and there has been no word for months. This is going to be a long wait I guess.

My gauges came in today and i'm having the same issue. Tried taking the bolt apart and no difference. I'm using the same bcg but a blackhole weaponry barrel. I'm wondering if it's the gauges and not something else.

Sent from my rotary phone

My gauges came in today and i'm having the same issue. Tried taking the bolt apart and no difference. I'm using the same bcg but a blackhole weaponry barrel. I'm wondering if it's the gauges and not something else.

Well that's reassuring from the barrel aspect. Sorry to hear your having issues also.

I've read on other forums that the 762 industries BCG seem to have a really right fit. They seem to be fine for some people, and a trouble for others. Luck of the draw I guess.

Some links:
The BIG Mega MaTen Answer thread (FAQ covering LPK, Barrels, Bolts, Stocks, EXT) Check here first! - Page 42 - AR15.COM

308 BCG Nickel Boron - $299 - Calguns.net

There's some good info there. It's interesting that Jeff specifically called out the Forster gauges. I haven't tried the snap cap test he mentioned. I'll have to try to locate some. I really wish I had another bolt from a different manufacturer to test out. I really don't want to buy another one just to find out it doesn't work either. Although, a new bolt may be cheaper than machining costs.

Back
Top Bottom