Moon Clip Gear for IDPA & USPSA

TY43215

NES Member
With all the talk lately of people looking to buy a 625 or other moon clip revolver, I thought I would post some of the gear that has worked for me. I have shot revolvers since 1971 and used moon clip revolvers in competition since 1999. Started with a 610 S&W, went to a 625, and currently I use a 25-2 6.5" for USPSA and an 8 shot 627 in USPSA, ICORE, and a little Steel Challenge.

Moon clips come in various shapes and sizes. Some hold 2 rounds, some hold three, some 6, 7, or 8. For the 625, here are some of each including a RIMZ clip on the right:
MoonClipTools004.jpg

For loading clips, I have found nothing better than the tool sold at the Middleboro Gun Shop.

MoonClipTools007.jpg

The tool on the bottom is for unloading the moons and is sold by TK Custom.

When you have the clips loaded, the best way I have found to transport is in a plastic case. First pic shows a case for 180 rounds, second holds 240 rounds.

MoonClipTools002.jpg

MoonClipTools003.jpg

To store unloaded clips, I use pill containers from the local pharmacy. Wish I could buy some more.
MoonClipTools006.jpg

Most important thing is to keep the clips flat and clean so storage both loaded and unloaded is important.

Best place I have found to purchase clips is RANCH PRODUCTS They are a quality product at a fair price.

Best of luck to those venturing in the world of the Real Gun [grin] It is a lot of fun.

Regards,

HEY! Where are your moon clip belt carriers?

And which ones do you use and where did you get them from?

wow

Thanks for the information. Is that moon clip loading device available anywhere online that you know? What about that Brownells moon clip contraption? Have you ever tried it?

The wisdom on holsters: holsters are good.

Conversely, "Mexican carry" - BAD. Also not allowed at most ranges.

Unless, of course, you are a highly trained federal agent, in which case your finely honed firearms skills permit you to carry "da fo'ty Glock" jammed into your pants. [rolleyes]

Moon original clip loading tool is from Middleboro Gun Shop Middleboro, MA. there may be copies out there now but their tool works and lasts.

De Mooning tool from Moonclip.com or can be made from 1/2" copper tubing.

Holster for IDPA, I prefer Talon Tactical. Mike is a great guy to deal with.

www.talontactical.com

and PM sent on other. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom