Moisin Inspection?

I don't see this bore getting shiny. Patches come out nice and clean but it's still pitted.
Do your patches go through smoothly or can you feel the grit of the pits? I don't bother with what bores look like. How do they shoot. One of my garands has a ugly bore and throat.......shoots very well.
It took about 300 rounds before the pits in my barrel started to get filled with fouling again. I do not shoot corrosive ammo anymore. Seems the more I shoot it the better it looks again.

Last edited:
I use boiling water down the bore with patches of solvent to clean the rifle. Works great vs just solvents and cleaners . I think the heat helps break the stuff up.

Hot water with a little dish soap will do well to remove the salts and powder fouling.... the copper will slowly fill the pits.

Lately I've been just using a funnel to dump a good amount of Windex down the bore and then use brush and patches. Then I take apart the bolt and spray with windex, wipe down, then lube with rem oil. Also use a 12 gauge brush to scrub the chamber area.

I'll try the hot water method eventually but it seems like it would be even more time consuming to wait for a pot of water to boil. I'm sure it works well though.

too much effort boiling water, etc when this stuff sprayed down the bore will float out all the salts and carbon fouling...

7575563_orig.jpg

And the best part is it has no smell! Its the only thing I use for cleaning guns now, followed by using their CLP oil to lube and protect everything.

http://www.mpro7.com/m-pro7-gun-cleaner.html

Patches go through smooth and now come out clean.

- - - Updated - - -

Love this stuff for my modern guns. Have not used it on my milsurps. Does not remove copper fouling well but they make a companion copper remover.

too much effort boiling water, etc when this stuff sprayed down the bore will float out all the salts and carbon fouling...

7575563_orig.jpg

And the best part is it has no smell! Its the only thing I use for cleaning guns now, followed by using their CLP oil to lube and protect everything.

http://www.mpro7.com/m-pro7-gun-cleaner.html

Love this stuff for my modern guns. Have not used it on my milsurps. Does not remove copper fouling well but they make a companion copper remover.

They make a copper removing gel. If you get their tactical kit it comes with some of that along with a bit of everything else.

Yes, I have the copper remover and it works well. I haven't used it on my older guns but love it on the newer ones. Didn't know it would dissolve corrosive salts. I love that it has no real odor. Works great on carbon fouling. Their lube is good too. Nice and thick, stays put.

It doesn't actually dissolve the salts, it gets under them and floats them away.

Their lube is great since its a cleaner too so if you don't need the deep cleaning (and oil stripping) that their gun cleaner does, you can just use the lube to clean and lube at the same time.

If you have not tried hot tap water and a little dish soap you might be amazed at how well it works.
1. Small beach bucket or anything that holds a few incehes of water.
2. Cleaning rod with a a snug barrel mop.
3. places muzzle into water
4 from chamber end insert mop and push down and back several times. This will pump the water in and out of your barrel.
5. Rinse with clean water
6. Dry with patches....oil as normal.

If you have not tried hot tap water and a little dish soap you might be amazed at how well it works.
1. Small beach bucket or anything that holds a few incehes of water.
2. Cleaning rod with a a snug barrel mop.
3. places muzzle into water
4 from chamber end insert mop and push down and back several times. This will pump the water in and out of your barrel.
5. Rinse with clean water
6. Dry with patches....oil as normal.

I take a microwave able measuring cup. Fill it with water and zap it.
I mix in copper and other solvent quickly .
Then I pour it down the muzzle . With a stopper in the chamber .
Wait a few the I pull the plug and run more path he's.
I go from black to green in 4-8 patches. I'll repeat it then just use copper solvent . When the patch has just a little bit if color I'll call it a day.

Then when I go to the range I'll take 5 quick shots and run a bore snake with solvent .
Then after that I just clean the mosin like normal with windex befor I leave the range to kill the salts .

I finally got the rifle out on the range and ran 30 rounds thru. No sticky bolt. A little, but no much cosmoline melted out of the rifle once it got hot. Seems to be at least combat accurate- I didn't shoot it from a rest but I was getting them on paper at 100 yards with the iron sights shooting standing up. Fun to shoot with the loud blast and fireball.

I finally got the rifle out on the range and ran 30 rounds thru. No sticky bolt. A little, but no much cosmoline melted out of the rifle once it got hot. Seems to be at least combat accurate- I didn't shoot it from a rest but I was getting them on paper at 100 yards with the iron sights shooting standing up. Fun to shoot with the loud blast and fireball.

Good to hear! Enjoy that rifle......buy plenty of spam cans when you have $ laying around!!!!!!

I shot some non corrosive commercial stuff this first trip, but have bought my first spam can of surplus ammo and will dig into that next.

I shot some non corrosive commercial stuff this first trip, but have bought my first spam can of surplus ammo and will dig into that next.

How did the commercial stuff do? I've been shooting surplus......but picked up 3 boxes of the blue box with the bear on it.......supposedly not corrosive........anyone have opinions.......more or less "betterer" than surplus? I got it for 8 bucks a box so figured I'd give it a try.

Seemed fine. This was silver bear- the cases are steel but are nickel or some other shiny metal plated. I've shot the same brand thru various handguns and my AR and it worked fine. Bimetal jacket so it's magnetic but I was shooting outside so nobody cares.

Back
Top Bottom