• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What do you think of a Moisin-Nagant 1944?

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
Saw one for $110 this morning. It was marked as having a "mint bore" and seemed in good condition - wood looked OK, as near as I could tell. The action was pretty well coated with Cosmoline.

Is this a good start for a mil-surp collection? (I hear Nickle and Weer'd Beard piping up...) Is this a good value? There's not shipping, but I will have to pay MA sales tax.

Ross

Best shooting Mosin I have (aside from Finn'ed versions) is a Polish M44 thats trully mint and unissued.

263ec9a1.jpg

As for Russian models, you can get excelent condition ones from SOG for $65 I think if you have a C&R on file with them, if not you can pay an 01 dealer for a tarnsfer and have it shipped there. Of course by then you're in it for $10 shipping, and whatever he charges you to transfer, usually $30 unless you know him well.

Milsurps 4 Me said:
Best shooting Mosin I have (aside from Finn'ed versions) is a Polish M44 thats trully mint and unissued.

263ec9a1.jpg

As for Russian models, you can get excelent condition ones from SOG for $65 I think if you have a C&R on file with them, if not you can pay an 01 dealer for a tarnsfer and have it shipped there. Of course by then you're in it for $10 shipping, and whatever he charges you to transfer, usually $30 unless you know him well.

#1 That's a purrrty lookin' gun there!

#2 Pardon my naivete, but what is SOG? I've sent out my C&R application and waiting now, and would love something like this.

Milsurps 4 Me said:
As for Russian models, you can get excelent condition ones from SOG for $65 I think if you have a C&R on file with them

Well, I'll be sending out my C&R for them to keep on file, but I was just on their website and I don't see any 1944s there. Do they not put everything they have on their website?

dwarven1 said:
Milsurps 4 Me said:
As for Russian models, you can get excelent condition ones from SOG for $65 I think if you have a C&R on file with them

Well, I'll be sending out my C&R for them to keep on file, but I was just on their website and I don't see any 1944s there. Do they not put everything they have on their website?
No, they don't have everything on the web page. You'll get a flier every month.

Thanks for the fast reply, Jon!

Now... one other question. I've been wondering about this... what's the general consensus about buying a used (read: surplus) gun via mail order? I mean, you don't get to look at it until AFTER you pay for it - any comments? Do you ever wind up getting a lemon that you could have avoided if you'd been able to look at it first?

Yup, that's the chance you take for a $65 rifle or mail order in general. You can usually pay $10 more for a "handpicked". Watch some of the C&R boards and you'll see what others are getting for their $$$ then decide if you want to chance it. There are other dealers out there that give excellent descriptions and in some cases, pics. You'll pay a bit more but you'll have a better idea of what you're getting. Most dealers have a pretty liberal return policy but you'll be responsible for the shipping.

I don't have a 44 but I've got a 38 and a 39. The 38 came from SOG and is like new. It's an excellent shooter and a good looker - if you like plywood stocks :D

I'd take a chance with SOG. If you don't like it, send it back.

mosin38.jpg

To me SOG (Southern Ohio Gun) has the best return policy, they refund it to your credit card if you enclose a copy of the UPS shipping receipt in the box.
That Polish M44 I have in the pic wound up costing me around $150 if I remember correctly from Terry at Collector's Firearms in NH. They're rare at gun shows and shops but do pop up now and then, just be expected to pay a premium price.
My whole take on mail ordering rifles is that with a place like SOG, Center Fire Systems, J&G Sales, etc. that have many of the same firearm in stock is that you're getting a gun for what they're worth these days. Sometimes you get a really nice piece with great wood and a sharp shiny bore, and sometimes you get a sewer pipe with a 2x4 stock. But for the most part you're going to get a firearm listed in the condition as described and you have to remember that these are military guns that were used to take down man sized targets at various distances, not lovingly created Swedish target rifles. I look at as collecting a piece of history that I can shoot and enjoy. Like I said though, sometimes you get an incredible rifle with tack driving accuracy and great looks.

Samco seems to have a pretty good reputation. In fact, I was on the phone with RK Enterprises today ordering my bound book and Bob mentioned them as one of the best outfits to deal with. They have some M44s listed.

Also a couple of places (SOG and Century?) have M38s for well under $100. I have to call both to see if they got my letter and copy of the 03FFL before I order.

Other than the bayonet, is there much difference between the M38 and M44?

Gary

Just so you know, SOG gets theirs from Century. Both companies are decent to do business with. I know from experience. Century will ship within 3 work days, you'll receive it the day after they ship it.

As to the M44 and M38, I suggest the M38 for a shooter.

Garys said:
Samco seems to have a pretty good reputation. In fact, I was on the phone with RK Enterprises today ordering my bound book and Bob mentioned them as one of the best outfits to deal with. They have some M44s listed.

Also a couple of places (SOG and Century?) have M38s for well under $100. I have to call both to see if they got my letter and copy of the 03FFL before I order.

Other than the bayonet, is there much difference between the M38 and M44?

Gary

Just about everything you ever wanted to know about Mosins can be found here. http://7.62x54r.net/ Grab a drink and some chips and be prepared to read for a while. [lol]
As for Samco.... they are pretty good to buy from. I've bought a few rifles from them, a K98 with winter trigger guard and a M96 Swedish Mauser. They are importers so theres no second handling going on there and lots of excelent condition pieces come from Samco. In fact I just grabbed another un-issued Yugo SKS 59/66 recently from Classic Arms and it came in a Samco box. [roll]
Their customer service isn't as good as what you'll get from a guy like Ben at Classic Arms, but there are just some things you have to pay a teeny bit more for in the milsurp collecting world.

On a side note.... you may have read the part where I said "another un-issued Yugo SKS" and have been thinking "Why another?"
One thing I never figured I would do and wondered why other shooters/collectors did was aquire more than one of a certain C&R gun. Then you realize these things: Theres always a better condition one than the one you have. You want two nice ones so one can stay mint while you shoot the other, or you see one with a few diferent markings than the markings on yours. You simply can't let a deal go sometimes, for example a seller at a gun show with a tag marked $125 on a mint No.1 Mk4 Enfield even while you have 2 at home. :D

I've got a Russian M44. The thing is a beast. Lots of recoil and report.

Open sights are pretty much useless for my tired old eyes. The safety is basically impossible to use. The receiver looks very stout -- you could probably run a truck over the thing.

OK, I have a question. What rifles, if any, of these were used in the Winter War or the Continuation War?

What would be a good one to pick up for shooting? What would be a good one to pick up for "collecting"? Of course money is an object, and like everyone else I want everything for nothing. Also, what is the best place to buy one?

Really though, for now, just information would do. I have at least 3 relatives who fought in those 2 wars.

Not sure what rifles were used or how the Finns even wound up with Mosin Nagants. The documentary Fire and Ice doesn't tell much about weapon history, but than again I haven't watched all of it yet.
If you want a real Finn captured rifle i'd suggest buying one from WGA.
http://gunsnammo.com/
Check the list often because it updates frequently. Standard M39 rifles are great shooters and are probably the most plentiful. M91 rifles are older and more rare, and SVT40 semi auto rifles markes "SA" meaning Finn captured are also collectable.
I'm sure someone here can shed more light on this subject since I am still learning about this war and the weapons used. Do a search online. There are quite a few pages out there with detailed info on what you're looking for. Check this one. http://www.winterwar.com/
A great film you should check out is Talvisota. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098437/

M24, M27, M28 and M28/30 were used in the Winter War. M39's as well, but probably much fewer of them. I'm told that the preffered weapon of Simya Hayha (sp?) was an M28.

Back
Top Bottom