Modifying the length of a gun

Now, I'm sure I'll get the "do a search" and "read the Laws" flames for this, but after hours of searching and reading, I can't find anything that really applies to my particular question.

I have a single shot .22 bolt action rifle from the 1930's. I'd like my son to have it, but the issue is this;

1 - The stock is far too long for his arms. Because of the age of the gun, they dont even make replacement stocks for it. Is is legal for me to shorten the stock to fit his size? I'm not removing the stock, just making it so that he can comfortably reach the trigger.

2 - The gun also has a 24" barrel. Due to the length, it makes the gun rather heavy and surely difficult for my son to hold steady. Can I have a gunsmith shorten it to an 18" barrel to remove some weight? Again, due to the age of the gun, they do not make barrels for it.

What gave me these ideas is I saw on rimfirecentral.com a gun had done this exact thing to what appears to be the exact rifle I have. Unfortunately, he never replied to my questions of what state he lived in and were those mods legal. Not that I blame him... I only have 1/2 a dozen posts over there and I would be sceptical too.
Thanks [smile]

Last edited:
Shortening the stock...

I believe you can shorten the length of the stock - if - it will not reduce the overall length under a certain length. (And I don't know what the overall minimum length is. Sorry 'bout that.)

The best way to shorten the stock would to first drill two holes a couple of inches into the butt end and then cut the stock with a thin kerfed saw. - For best results use a saw without any "set", that is with teeth that do not stick out farther than the width of the blade (or "kerf") A Japanese saw (available at Home Depot or Lowes) which cuts on the pull stroke would be best.

Install a trim to fit buttplate or slim recoil pad and save the cut off section along with some dowel sections to fit the holes so you'll have them when it's time to lengthen the stock.

Can't help you with the barrel part. Hope this helps.

Removing wood from the stock to fit the shooter is not only legal but a very good practice. As he said, there is a legal limit that you cannot go under but I'm not sure what it is.

Cutting down a barrel is a completely different animal and i'm pretty sure you need to have a licensed manufacturer do it. IANAL. it makes no sense that this would be the case when you can swap handgun/shotgun barrels whenever you want as long as it meets the law.

For the cost of a gunsmith the properly reduce the lenght of the barrel, you could pick up a youth rifle at Walmart for under a hundred. I believe they were called "Cricket" and are perfect for small children.

The barrel length has to be at least 16 inches, and the overall length at least 26 inches. Be careful of getting too close to the line, since both mistakes and wear happen and there's absolutely no margin for error allowed.

Ken

Ok, I was pretty sure on the 26 inch overall and 16 inch barrel, just not fully sure if it was something I could do or not.

Thanks for the info, and also, if anyone knows what a gunsmith would charge to cut the barrel (ballpark) that would be great.

I will surely shorten the stock for him and may just have him shoot it from a rest (for the barrel weight) that way it doesn't affect the gun accuracy.

A couple of points:

- The 16" and 26" rules as Ken pointed out are FED Law. State Law has no further requirements. My recommendation is to go 16.5" and 26.5" to ensure you never fall into the gray area and risk prosecution.

- If the gun is that old and has ANY collector's value, I would NOT butcher the gun, but buy a cheapie made to fit a boy, saving the old gun as an heirloom of sorts until he's big enough to handle it as is.

- Check the list of gunsmiths mentioned here and there on the forum. Use Advanced Search for "gunsmith" to find them. I'd guess that any of them could do what you want, however the cost may far exceed that of just buying another rifle. Gun club gun shows frequently turn up youth guns for cheap money (sometimes as low as $25-50).

Good luck.

... save the cut off section along with some dowel sections to fit the holes so you'll have them when it's time to lengthen the stock. ...

Good idea, except for the area the width of the blade. Maybe predrilling the dowel holes would help in later alignment also.

That said, is this a junky gun? You don't want to jeapordize any possible value on an old gun.

Good luck.

Try looking here: Top Quality .22 rifles for Youth

Not to add to the confusion, but the "planeness" of the crown of the barrel (the extent to which the plane of the crown is normal to the bore axis) plays a major role in the accuracy of the rifle. Simply cutting off the barrel, without pilot reaming the crown (a job for a gunsmith with a good collection of tools and more skill than your average DIY type), will turn the rifle into a one-pellet-at-a-time shotgun.

For the cost of a gunsmith the properly reduce the lenght of the barrel, you could pick up a youth rifle at Walmart for under a hundred. I believe they were called "Cricket" and are perfect for small children.

I was going to say..

I have the Rouge Chipmunk for my kid. I know that it doesn't meet the 26 inches is it's not much bigger than my Ruger Blackhawk. But I'm guessing that by tagging the word "Youth" on the rifle, it changes the requirements.

Collectables002small.jpg

And the nice thing is that it's designed for a kid. So the whole thing that RKG was talking about is a non-issue.

Last edited:
C-pher, better read Fed Law. They don't make any exceptions for "kid's rifles".

If someone sawed it down to a shorter size, it is illegal and possession is a Fed Felony!!

If I were you, I'd be taking a tape measure to your rifle, right now!!

Matt do you have a Ruger 10/22? If you do I have 2 spare stocks 1 factory and 1 after market you're welcome to one if you want it get a 5 rd mag you set.
No sense in cutting up a perfectly good rifle PM me if you're interested

C-pher, better read Fed Law. They don't make any exceptions for "kid's rifles".

If someone sawed it down to a shorter size, it is illegal and possession is a Fed Felony!!

If I were you, I'd be taking a tape measure to your rifle, right now!!

No one sawed it... I bought it out of the box like that...it's brand spanking new and never even been fired.

http://www.roguerifle.com/Rifles.htm

22 Barrel - 16 inches 1 in 16 inches twist
17 Barrel - 16 inches 1 in 10 inches twist
Finishes Available - Blued & Stainless
Length - 30 inches overall
Weight - approx. 2 1/2 lbs
Stock - Synthetic

Sure as hell doesn't look that long in the picture...or my safe.

Anyway, I got mine at M&M's in Plymouth. But from the website, you can also get them here:

Dave's Sporting Goods Inc. 1164 North Street Pittsfield MA 01201- (413) 442-2960

The Outdoor Sportsman 1044 Atlantic Hwy North Port MA 04849- (207) 338-4141

Mike's Gun Shop 37 Pierce Street PO Box Northboro MA 01532- (508) 393-5426

Griffins Sporting Goods 605 Marble Street Lee MA 01238-

Natick Outdoor Store NBS 38 N AVE NATCIK MA 01760- (800) 856-7992 (508) 653-9400

Reloads N' More 6 Overlook Road Stoneham MA

Last edited:
Matt do you have a Ruger 10/22? If you do I have 2 spare stocks 1 factory and 1 after market you're welcome to one if you want it get a 5 rd mag you set.
No sense in cutting up a perfectly good rifle PM me if you're interested

Thanks for the offer, but no 10/22.... yet.

I may just look to seel this one and get him a 10/22. I've seen them as cheap as $160 at Dick's and I figure I should beable to get around $150 for this. I have no intrest in "collectables" (yet) and would rather have something that he can shoot comfortably come spring time.

Thanks for all the info though.

Back
Top Bottom