• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mixmaster 1911

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
I was looking at a 1911 (not A1). It was configured thusly:

modern Essex frame, dark park

original Colt 1911 slide, slightly rust pitted near the rear but clean, if it was parked it was done eons ago as there was very little color to the metal. Last patent date on it was 1913.

original military hammer

black shiney finish ambi safety

slightly worn Pachmyer grips with Colt medallions

modern mag

nice feeling trigger - modern style not military. Can't tell the internals as I couldn't take it apart but it felt good.

Don't know sight manufacturer but it was a modern white dot style.

Bore was bright with excellent rifling, not worn at all.

I made an offer but was turned down. What would you guys think it might be worth? I might reconsider my offer based on your thoughts.

Last edited:
I was offered a similar pistol that had the same frame but a Rem-Rand slide and a bunch of ammo. It was offered to me for $400. I turned it down and have kicked myself in the ass for not grabbing it. I wouldn't go much more than that.

I see a lot of assembled guns like this- usually out of a mishmash of parts. Unless it is a really good deal, better to stear clear and spend more for a complete gun with original parts.MHO, Greg

A complete ex-military 1911A1 runs well over $500 (close to $1000, sometimes over).

The value of that gun is anywheres from $300 to $450, depending on what parts are in it and the condition. From what you've described, $400 is fair. I wouldn't go much over that. You can build one for about $400.

I'll add that there's nothing wrong with an Essex Frame. They're not the best choice for building a match gun, but some of us don't want match guns, nor do we want to pay $600 and up for a 1911A1. Essex frames do build a nice shooter.

Back
Top Bottom