Mini14 mags

Buying an aftermarket Mini14 mag is like buying micro brewed beer you've never tasted before. You may get lucky and find something that works for you, but chances are you'll wind up with crap you just won't have a use for.

I have a Mini-14/AR-15 combo mag that I bought knowing I'd have one or the other (ended up owning BOTH - briefly). It works fine in my AR and would probably work in your Mini.

It is a smoke-colored plastic and may be an Eagle. Try looking for one of those.

Then, when you get a real gun, you can still use it!

Plenty of cheap, reliable, pre-ban AR15 mags to be had.

You think it is bad finding decent mags for Mini-14? Try finding some for a Mini-30.

Ouch. That hurt...

Don't dismiss your Mini. Prisons all over the United States that arm their guards with them can't be wrong. Besides, Scrivener is the resident NES guy that walks up and gives you a wedgie, then tips over your lunch tray. [laugh]

My advice is try diferent cheap 20 round mags untill you find some that work. They're often cheap enough at gun shows so you can afford to gamble a bit. I've found cheap mags that work great and higher price USA made ones that suck. For some reason mags over 20 rounds seem to have the biggest feeding problem. Also look for a well defined hole in the front to lock it in and try and get at least 1 factory Ruger mag so you can have an example to go by for correct measurements and shape. Do some reading on Mini 14 forums too. People on there often have tips on making certain types of mags work even if its simply by bending the tabs a little.
Springfield's Big E show is in a few weeks, you should be able to score some then for cheap. I know I will.

Don't dismiss your Mini. Prisons all over the United States that arm their guards with them can't be wrong. Besides, Scrivener is the resident NES guy that walks up and gives you a wedgie, then tips over your lunch tray. [laugh]

Prison guards fire at close range and have to buy cheap when the Feds won't pony up the funds for state agencies. Mini's, with their licorice whip barrels, are infamous for inaccuracy. The entire line is undergoing a complete design and tooling revamp to address this failure.

Your mag advice is good, however.

Hi,

Since you brought it up, what is the legal deal with hi-cap mags for rifles? I have been a Mini-14 owner for all of 1 week and don't know the rules on that yet. Since mine was manufactured pre-ban, does it matter? It has a folding stock, pistol grip, and a muzzle break (yea, that's what is). Does that matter when it comes to hi-cap? It came with one Ruger 30 rnd mag. No way to know if it's pre-ban. Do I have to care about that when buying new mags?

Sorry if I sound like a neophyte, I am with rifles. But you'll understand when you know I'm a Glock owner who's very careful about his hi-cap pistol mags.

cheers,
Chuck

Since you brought it up, what is the legal deal with hi-cap mags for rifles? I have been a Mini-14 owner for all of 1 week and don't know the rules on that yet. Since mine was manufactured pre-ban, does it matter? It has a folding stock, pistol grip, and a muzzle break (yea, that's what is) [no; it's a muzzle brake] . Does that matter when it comes to hi-cap? It came with one Ruger 30 rnd mag. No way to know if it's pre-ban. Do I have to care about that when buying new mags?

Sorry if I sound like a neophyte, I am with rifles. But you'll understand when you know I'm a Glock owner who's very careful about his hi-cap pistol mags.

If you know the magazine rules for handguns, you should know the mag rules for long arms. There is no difference.

Pre-ban is permitted; post-ban is not. What is confusing about that?

Rules on hi-caps are the SAME wrt pistol or rifle. MA AWB/hi-cap ban is the same as the old Fed Ban.

REGARDLESS of DOB of rifle, if mags are pre-ban you are good to go with a proper LTC (B-min for hi-cap rifles/shotguns). Date that matters here is pre 9/13/1994.

MUCH more info if you set User CP to show ALL THREADS and use Advanced Search in the Gun Laws forum. But the above is basically what the rules/laws are.

Since you brought it up, what is the legal deal with hi-cap mags for rifles?
Sigh.

Never ceases to amaze me how many gun owners don't know the laws in MA.

Step 1: read this section of MA laws, specifically the definitions of "large capacity weapon" and "large capacity feeding device".

Step 2: read this section of MA laws, paying particular attention to paragraphs A and B. http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131.htm

Step 3: read this section MA laws: http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-129b.htm

Once you've read those sections of the law, you'll have a basic understanding of the differences between FID cards, LTC Class A, LTC Class B, and the restrictions on magazines.

Call Zero Hour Arms

I got some 30 round mags that work perfect in my mini-14. If you must have 20 rounders, he may have them... but why stop at 20 when you can get 30 [wink]

Back
Top Bottom