• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mini 14 vs AR15

I suggest you stop ignoring the pile of recommendations for .223/5.56. Sometimes the best answers are the most basic. Once your initial needs are covered, you can explore more unique calibers.

If there is a work-around for having an AR, even one with one of those goofy compliant stocks, later on you can simply buy different caliber uppers.
I am definitely not ignoring the 5.56. and I think I have found a reasonable workaround. So in CT, you have a choice of either goofy stock or a pined mag. I found a company that makes a receiver pin that allows you to split the receiver just enough to drop the mag without fully splitting the upper and lower. It's not as fluent as a normal AR but I think it's the best I'm going to get.

If anyone is interested. I would like some opinions on it.

I am definitely not ignoring the 5.56. and I think I have found a reasonable workaround. So in CT, you have a choice of either goofy stock or a pined mag. I found a company that makes a receiver pin that allows you to split the receiver just enough to drop the mag without fully splitting the upper and lower. It's not as fluent as a normal AR but I think it's the best I'm going to get.

If anyone is interested. I would like some opinions on it.

[thumbsup]

My brother sent one of those devices to me when he moved out of a commie state. Thought about trying it for a fixed mag AR pistol but am simply waiting for my SBR form 1.

So I stopped into a local gun shop today and was informed no more AR in CT. It would have to be a pre-94 ban and Im pretty sure that would break the bank more than once. So if I want to get anything close to an AR I'm going to have to buy a Flitlite. Which is ok I don't mind the look and feel of it but at $1400 I'll have to save up for it to where an AR I could build over time.

Any suggestions on an AR alternative? I believe they were band by features, not name. So if it looks fun it's probably out :mad:.

So I stopped into a local gun shop today and was informed no more AR in CT. It would have to be a pre-94 ban and Im pretty sure that would break the bank more than once. So if I want to get anything close to an AR I'm going to have to buy a Flitlite. Which is ok I don't mind the look and feel of it but at $1400 I'll have to save up for it to where an AR I could build over time.

Any suggestions on an AR alternative? I believe they were band by features, not name. So if it looks fun it's probably out :mad:.
A pre-94 lower goes for ~$1,400 on gunbroker at the moment.

I gotta say the fightlite is a fantastic alternative. You use the same AR uppers and can swap calibers just like an AR.

Option: buy just the fightlite lower and then save up for, or build an upper of your choosing. Quite frankly, you’d probably end up changing a lot of the fightlite upper to suit your preferences anyway.

$700 : SCR RIFLE LOWER - BLACK POLYMER

Last edited:
This has been discussed in the past. I own a mini 14 which I had before I owned my various ARs chambered in 5.56. The mini 14 was new and had to sent back to have the bolt changed out after about 50 rounds. It works as it should now such as that may be. The thing is way over gassed out of the box and hurls brass literally 25 feet. (an after market fix is available for that). I know of no aftermarket fix for the habit these have for bending the hell out of case necks. Maybe that's another bonus of being over gassed? I don't care it should not run like crap out of the box. Can't stand the having to rock the mag in after getting the pin into the hole in the mag. WTF is that crap? It has not left he safe in years since I got my ARs. The AR is a far superior gun for those who want to shoot a light high speed round. The only thing that the mini has going for it, in my opinion, is that with a wood stock it does not look "scary." I don't give two shit about my guns not looking scary. They need to run, which the AR will do all day with general maintenance.

A pre-94 lower goes for ~$1,400 on gunbroker at the moment.

I gotta say the fightlite is a fantastic alternative. You use the same AR uppers and can swap calibers just like an AR.

Option: buy just the fightlite lower and then save up for, or build an upper of your choosing. Quite frankly, you’d probably end up changing a lot of the fightlite upper to suit your preferences anyway.

$700 : SCR RIFLE LOWER - BLACK POLYMER
100% the plan at this point. I just need to figure out where to buy just a bolt as it uses a proprietary carrier.

100% the plan at this point. I just need to figure out where to buy just a bolt as it uses a proprietary carrier.
Yeah, but I think the bolt carrier comes with the lower, because it is proprietary. *would need to double check.

But the bolt itself is not proprietary and you can swap those around.

Yeah, but I think the bolt carrier comes with the lower, because it is proprietary. *would need to double check.

But the bolt itself is not proprietary and you can swap those around.
Yes if I understand correctly the carrier does come with the lower. The small problem Im having is finding just the bolt. I'll admit I only locked briefly. I just don't like paying for things that are just going to end up in a box in the closet. So buying a bolt carrier group and putting the carrier in the closet after removing the bolt out of it doesn't sit well with me.

Yes if I understand correctly the carrier does come with the lower. The small problem Im having is finding just the bolt. I'll admit I only locked briefly. I just don't like paying for things that are just going to end up in a box in the closet. So buying a bolt carrier group and putting the carrier in the closet after removing the bolt out of it doesn't sit well with me.

You should just be able to buy the bolt, cam pin, and firing pin. Not sure about the firing pin retaining pin. They don’t mention needing it, but I’m not sure if they forgot to mention it. You can buy all those parts by themselves, but I’d make sure you go with quality parts. Those are the heart of the rifle.

I’ve found Daniel defense bolts to be really well machined from a spec standpoint. Tight firing pin hole and bolt faces that lean towards the tighter end of head space than the looser end.

Last edited:
I'm going to go way out on a limb and assume that's a joke directly targeting the 'appearance' aspect of the bans.
That's my guess as well but they do make a Mini with a pistol grip too. So unfortunately it would also be band. If it looks fun you can not own ban is what it should be called. :mad:

Thread resurrection.

I started looking at a Mini-14 ranch just for fun, but are all Mini-14s currently only 1:9 twist? What kind of crap is that?

I know they started doing 1:7 twist at one point, but it appears they went back to 1:9. The Fudd is sooo strong with Ruger. They couldn’t have even compromised with 1:8 for people to still shoot heavy pills while not ignoring the 55gr crowd.

Yeah, that’s not true about 300blk compared to 5.56.

300blk is terrible at mid-long range, and is only good at short range. But that doesn’t make it better than 5.56 at short range. It is only better if you want a super short barrel or if you want to run subsonics with a silencer.

It’s also more expensive because there are no cheap plinking or training loads for it.
This is where loading your own comes in and casting your own bullets .

Thread resurrection.

I started looking at a Mini-14 ranch just for fun, but are all Mini-14s currently only 1:9 twist? What kind of crap is that?

I know they started doing 1:7 twist at one point, but it appears they went back to 1:9. The Fudd is sooo strong with Ruger. They couldn’t have even compromised with 1:8 for people to still shoot heavy pills while not ignoring the 55gr crowd.
$$$ my guess is they had a run on 1:9 blanks to run through

Hello everyone. I live in the BS gun-controlling state of CT. They have for the most part put a lockdown on AR15. So now I'm looking at the Mini 14 in 300 Blackout. Is this a good alternative to an AR or is there something better? I would love a rifle in 5.7 but I'm pretty sure they are all AR style or something similar.

All input is welcome even if you have a good reason to dislike some choices or something to stay the hell away from.
They're decent but no AR15. Preban mags are also near impossible to find. I have one and haven't shot it in years. Rear sight comes loose pretty often. Also, you need a proprietary tool to adjust the rear sight. However there are rear sight replacements that are hand adjustable.

I, too, am wondering just how married you are to 5.56. If you stepped up to 7.62, an M1A would be a good option (though I am not terribly versed in CT law). I've heard enough lukewarm reactions to the Mini-14 that I'd steer clear, personally.
M1A is a long, heavy gun compared to an AR15 or Mini14. It is also hard to mount an optic on an M1A.

I love my M1A but I don’t consider it a replacement for my ARs.

I don’t know enough about Connecticut law I’ve just been looking into it for a friend recently. Can’t you just buy an AR 15 that somebody else already owned that is compliant? I know it’ll cost a fortune but if that’s what you want get it.

I own the full auto mini-14 SS with folding stock. as well as the M-16…. The full auto mini 14.. is only intriguing because of it. Single shot/3 round burst/full lotto feature. It’s just an interesting mechanism. Even compared to the mechanism on m16 which can also be single shot three round, burst, and full auto.

As far as the semi automatic go, the only real difference is with the AR 15. It’s a lot easier to work on/modify compared to the mini 14.. with the semi auto mini 14 you can use its receiver and barrel and drop it in Some interesting things, but they’re all illegal in your state.

I’m not sure if the people who registered their pre-bands can transfer them or not but if that’s the case, I would definitely just go by yourself a colt AR 15.
Best of luck I didn’t look at how old this thread was

Back
Top Bottom