• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mini 14 vs AR15

Hello everyone. I live in the BS gun-controlling state of CT. They have for the most part put a lockdown on AR15. So now I'm looking at the Mini 14 in 300 Blackout. Is this a good alternative to an AR or is there something better? I would love a rifle in 5.7 but I'm pretty sure they are all AR style or something similar.

All input is welcome even if you have a good reason to dislike some choices or something to stay the hell away from.

I don’t know CT law very well. But a Mini-14 is better than nothing. They’ve really improved their accuracy in recent years, compared to the ones from last century. Not that 300BLK is an inherently accurate cartridge though. Any reason for going 300blk over 5.56? 300blk is good if you are going with a barrel < 10” or if you want to use a silencer. If neither of those are use cases for you, then 5.56 is probably a better option. And if you’re looking at the Mini-14, then a super short barrel isn’t really an option.

Does CT law ban features, firearms by name, or both?

Any reason why you want a 5.7 rifle? It’s not that great of a round. Ruger does have the LC carbine in 5.7, but I don’t know what kind of magazines you’d be able to get. And of course there is the FN PS90 which is assuredly not an AR. But I don’t know if it’s also banned.

I, too, am wondering just how married you are to 5.56. If you stepped up to 7.62, an M1A would be a good option (though I am not terribly versed in CT law). I've heard enough lukewarm reactions to the Mini-14 that I'd steer clear, personally.

I, too, am wondering just how married you are to 5.56. If you stepped up to 7.62, an M1A would be a good option (though I am not terribly versed in CT law). I've heard enough lukewarm reactions to the Mini-14 that I'd steer clear, personally.

Modern Mini-14s aren’t bad. They’re just not as good of an option as an AR. But if you can’t get an AR…. It’s a lighter and more compact package than an M1A.

Hello everyone. I live in the BS gun-controlling state of CT. They have for the most part put a lockdown on AR15. So now I'm looking at the Mini 14 in 300 Blackout. Is this a good alternative to an AR or is there something better? I would love a rifle in 5.7 but I'm pretty sure they are all AR style or something similar.

All input is welcome even if you have a good reason to dislike some choices or something to stay the hell away from.
This is such a broad question.

Better for what?

Do you want to shoot at 600 yards?
Do you want to compete?
Do you want to do mag dumps at 50 yards?
Home defense?

I want to help, but it is hard when the person posting doesnt give any details.

Based on your lack of detail, I will assume the occasional 2 mag dumps per year at 50 yards. The Mini 14 is great for that.

They don't know what they mean. There is no guidance.

I don’t know CT law very well. But a Mini-14 is better than nothing. They’ve really improved their accuracy in recent years, compared to the ones from last century. Not that 300BLK is an inherently accurate cartridge though. Any reason for going 300blk over 5.56? 300blk is good if you are going with a barrel < 10” or if you want to use a silencer. If neither of those are use cases for you, then 5.56 is probably a better option. And if you’re looking at the Mini-14, then a super short barrel isn’t really an option.

Does CT law ban features, firearms by name, or both?

Any reason why you want a 5.7 rifle? It’s not that great of a round. Ruger does have the LC carbine in 5.7, but I don’t know what kind of magazines you’d be able to get. And of course there is the FN PS90 which is assuredly not an AR. But I don’t know if it’s also banned.
Was looking at 300 Blackout because from what I understand it's better at close range. I don't have a problem with 5.56 I actually love it. Just looking for something with a little more punch. The 5.7 would be more for fun than anything else.
They have it now you can't even build an AR pistol becouse the mag is not in the grip
What changed in ct law?
To the best of my understanding, you have to go with either featureless or a pined mag. Neither of those options appeals to me. we cant even have a Hi-point carbine.
This is such a broad question.

Better for what?

Do you want to shoot at 600 yards?
Do you want to compete?
Do you want to do mag dumps at 50 yards?
Home defense?

I want to help, but it is hard when the person posting doesnt give any details.

Based on your lack of detail, I will assume the occasional 2 mag dumps per year at 50 yards. The Mini 14 is great for that.
Looking for a 100-yard gun and home defense would be the main purpose.

Was looking at 300 Blackout because from what I understand it's better at close range. I don't have a problem with 5.56 I actually love it. Just looking for something with a little more punch. The 5.7 would be more for fun than anything else.

Yeah, that’s not true about 300blk compared to 5.56.

300blk is terrible at mid-long range, and is only good at short range. But that doesn’t make it better than 5.56 at short range. It is only better if you want a super short barrel or if you want to run subsonics with a silencer.

It’s also more expensive because there are no cheap plinking or training loads for it.

Last edited:

They have it now you can't even build an AR pistol becouse the mag is not in the grip

To the best of my understanding, you have to go with either featureless or a pined mag. Neither of those options appeals to me. we cant even have a Hi-point carbine.

I have 300 BLK and like it for what it is, but for your intended purposes I'd stick with 5.56. The minimum 16" barrel is plenty of length to take advantage of 5.56 and accuracy should be a little better. As far as home defense goes, close up the 5.56 will make some nasty wound cavities. WAY better ammo availability also.

I got a newer ( 2018 ) Mini 14 just for the hell of it and if I was looking for a SHTF/ Defensive semi auto and I couldn't get an AR I would feel very comfortable with it as my main battle rifle.

Things I didn't like?

Not as user friendly with gucci'ing it out, Louder than my AR's, the spent casing shot out of it to the moon, inserting the mags suck compared to an AR and not as accurate either.

I sold it but if it was my only option I'd be fine

Disclaimer is YMMV I'm not a great shooter and I'm a huge AR fan boy

One option could be the Desert Tech MDR. I have some issues with the people who run the company, but the rifle itself is interesting.

You can do caliber conversions between 5.56, 300blk, 308, and 6.5 Creedmoor. It’s not cheap, and neither are the different barrels/bolts. But it is a handy package and allows you to go between lots of different cartridges easily.

They even offer a stupid California version with a wing behind the grip that surely must be legal in CT too:
mdrx-side-eject-full.png

Would love an AR but not a fan of the thought of a pined mag or some funky grip just to make the US government's tight asses happy. Any good suggestions for a good house/range gun? I would even go with a good PCC.

That would probably be legal in CT but at that point, I believe I can go with what they call a features AR and it would be at least $900 cheaper. Has anyone shot a rifle with a grip like that? How does it feal?
One option could be the Desert Tech MDR. I have some issues with the people who run the company, but the rifle itself is interesting.

You can do caliber conversions between 5.56, 300blk, 308, and 6.5 Creedmoor. It’s not cheap, and neither are the different barrels/bolts. But it is a handy package and allows you to go between lots of different cartridges easily.

They even offer a stupid California version with a wing behind the grip that surely must be legal in CT too:
mdrx-side-eject-full.png

mdrx-side-eject-full.png
meh, a tavor is a much better gun.

mdrx-side-eject-full.png
What the hell is the wing supposed to do????

Yeah, that’s not true about 300blk compared to 5.56.

300blk is terrible at mid-long range, and is only good at short range. But that doesn’t make it better than 5.56 at short range. It is only better if you want a super short barrel or if you want to run subsonics with a silencer.

It’s also more expensive because there are no cheap plinking or training loads for it.
Ya but it’s so quiet.

It keeps your thumb from wrapping behind the pistol grip, which means it's technically not a pistol grip anymore.

I know. I know. :rolleyes:
That is in part why I was looking at something like a Mini 14. I think I would rather have a normal rifle grip over something like that.

A semi auto that's not in a big caliber? How about an M1 carbine? I'm guessing that if you can't have an AR15, you can't have an AK47 either. Maybe an SKS? Pretty easy to find ammo for.

Last edited:
That would probably be legal in CT but at that point, I believe I can go with what they call a features AR and it would be at least $900 cheaper. Has anyone shot a rifle with a grip like that? How does it feal?

They have versions without that stupid grip add-on. I just don’t know CT laws. Maybe just a pin&weld brake/comp would be enough. Don’t know.

meh, a tavor is a much better gun.

Maybe, maybe not. I hear it’s a pretty good bullpup and I’ve never seen anybody do a direct comparison, who’s actually used both.

Being able to bounce between 5.56 and 308/6.5 CM is pretty interesting for a “one gun” solution. A lot less space and weight for certain CONOPS.

Back
Top Bottom