• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mini 14 vs AR15

Mini-30.

Honestly I bought one right after Sandy Hook for similar reasons. Nowhere near the same value as similar priced AR platform but it is fun enough to shoot. To upgrade and tune it would cost almost as much as the rifle so I never did.

A semi auto that's not in a big caliber? How about an M1 carbine? I'm guessing that if you can't have an AR15, you can't have an AK47 either. Maybe an SKS? Pretty easy to find ammo for.

SKS is an excellent choice.

When I was looking for a rifle to practice my M4 marksmanship with, back during the Ban Days, I went with an M1 carbine. Also a nice choice, though way underpowered for a lot of things. It'd make a good HD firearm, though, I've always thought.

I understand. That's why I suggested an M1A.
Love the M1A socom but a little big for a home-defense gun
A semi auto that's not in a big caliber? How about an M1 carbine? I'm guessing that if you can't have an AR15, you can't have an AK47 either. Maybe an SKS? Pretty easy to find ammo for.
caliber is not the problem if its the right fit

Mini-30.

Honestly I bought one right after Sandy Hook for similar reasons. Nowhere near the same value as similar priced AR platform but it is fun enough to shoot. To upgrade and tune it would cost almost as much as the rifle so I never did.
I like 7.62x39
SKS is an excellent choice.

When I was looking for a rifle to practice my M4 marksmanship with, back during the Ban Days, I went with an M1 carbine. Also a nice choice, though way underpowered for a lot of things. It'd make a good HD firearm, though, I've always thought.
Love SKS! M1 carbines are expensive to feed.

Everyone needs a few AR-15s.

Find a way, I’m sure you can.

Then you need something 30 cal. AKs are awesome and just as addictive as ARs.

Then there are the 308 battle rifles. FAL is king here, then G3 and AR-10.

Don’t let commies tell you what you can and can’t have. It’s a free country!!

Get a sword with its trench gun attachment.

Fits your needs.
Are you talking about a WW2 trench gun with a bayonet? If so I would love one but good luck getting one in good shape I can afford.

I also may have found my answer. I found a video of a guy talking about a new receiver pin that breaks the receiver to open just enough to release the mag. It becomes a two button system to drop the mag but it's better than taking it half apart.

Last edited:
I don’t know CT law very well. But a Mini-14 is better than nothing. They’ve really improved their accuracy in recent years, compared to the ones from last century. Not that 300BLK is an inherently accurate cartridge though. Any reason for going 300blk over 5.56? 300blk is good if you are going with a barrel < 10” or if you want to use a silencer. If neither of those are use cases for you, then 5.56 is probably a better option. And if you’re looking at the Mini-14, then a super short barrel isn’t really an option.
Was looking at 300 Blackout because from what I understand it's better at close range. I don't have a problem with 5.56 I actually love it. Just looking for something with a little more punch. The 5.7 would be more for fun than anything else.
300blk is terrible at mid-long range, and is only good at short range. But that doesn’t make it better than 5.56 at short range. It is only better if you want a super short barrel or if you want to run subsonics with a silencer.
Ah, come on, is no one going to show the .375 SOCOM some love? AR-15 based and even uses STANAG magazines.

Would love an AR but not a fan of the thought of a pined mag or some funky grip just to make the US government's tight asses happy. Any good suggestions for a good house/range gun? I would even go with a good PCC.
It's not the US .gov's glutes that are clenched. It's your state. The rest of us buy what we want.

Ah, come on, is no one going to show the .375 SOCOM some love? AR-15 based and even uses STANAG magazines.

Pfft. 375 Raptor or bust my friend. AR-10 compatible with SR25 mags.

375-VS-308.jpg

375-VS-300.jpg

Seriously though, 375 SOCOM intrigues me. Just not enough to invest in trying it out since I don’t actually have a use for it.

I've seen a lot of you don't like 300 Blackout. Is there a caliber you would recommend for a Home/range gun?
It is not a bad caliber per se, but it is slow and drops really fast hence why it is a "100 yard" bullet.

For home defense there are readily available frangible ammos in 556 and that would make sense for your application. 300BLK was made for silencers and so it could fit in existing AR bolts and magazines.

I've seen a lot of you don't like 300 Blackout. Is there a caliber you would recommend for a Home/range gun?

I like it a lot and have one for home defense. 7” 1:5 twist SBR loaded with 110gr TAC-TX. I went 300blk because of how short of a barrel I was using. But it’s a specialty cartridge and 5.56 is a better option for 16” carbines. 5.56 is a fantastic baseline multi-purpose cartridge. My 11.5” and 14.5” carbine uppers are 5.56. And if I was starting with just one carbine, it would be (and was) 5.56.

Edit: also most of my training is with 5.56 to reduce cost. Luckily the manual of arms transfers over.

Last edited:
Are you talking a WW2 trench gun with a bayonet? If so I would love one but good luck getting one in good shape I can afford.
You can get lucky and find the Norinco copy of the Winchester 1897. They don't come up often, but when they do, they're pretty reasonable. I found mine, with bayo, for about $500 or so.

Pfft. 375 Raptor or bust my friend. AR-10 compatible with SR25 mags.

375-VS-308.jpg

375-VS-300.jpg

Seriously though, 375 SOCOM intrigues me. Just not enough to invest in trying it out since I don’t actually have a use for it.
Use for it?

Just buy the damn thing.

Now I need to read about it. Looks pretty sweet.

Do you think I can use a pre-Healey Noveske lower with a blem PSA upper?

Use for it?

Just buy the damn thing.

Now I need to read about it. Looks pretty sweet.

Do you think I can use a pre-Healey Noveske lower with a blem PSA upper?

It’s kind of like 8.6 BLK, but for men. Sadly it’s still a wildcat. A well supported wildcat, but still a wildcat and likely 8.6 will surpass it in popularity. Partially because 338 silencers are more common than 375.

Was looking at 300 Blackout because from what I understand it's better at close range. I don't have a problem with 5.56 I actually love it. Just looking for something with a little more punch. The 5.7 would be more for fun than anything else.

They have it now you can't even build an AR pistol becouse the mag is not in the grip

To the best of my understanding, you have to go with either featureless or a pined mag. Neither of those options appeals to me. we cant even have a Hi-point carbine.

Looking for a 100-yard gun and home defense would be the main purpose.
How did you come to the understanding that 300blk is "better at close range" than 5.56? It's a sub sonic round.

300blk was designed with a specific purpose.....silencers in close combat......not just for close combat.

I suggest you stop ignoring the pile of recommendations for .223/5.56. Sometimes the best answers are the most basic. Once your initial needs are covered, you can explore more unique calibers.

If there is a work-around for having an AR, even one with one of those goofy compliant stocks, later on you can simply buy different caliber uppers.

Back
Top Bottom