• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Military surplus ammo ruined my m1 garand UPDATED

m44

see post #39

I really hate bumping a old thread but I didnt want to start a new one.

Right now I am mad as all hell, I was shooting my m1 garand today using surplus 30/06 and the first 6 shots fired fine the 7th didn't sound right and the bolt didn't cycle the action. Come to find out after I cleared the gun the bullet was a squib load [angry], and I have a bullet lodged in my barrel. I have tried everything to take the stuck bullet out but it is not going anywhere [crying]. Looks like the m1 carbine fund will be buying a new m1 garand barrel and hiring a gunsmith to install it. I know I could hire a gun smith to knock the bullet out but the bore on this gun is not that great anyway (shot out muzzle), so instead of paying 50.00 to a couple of hundred dollars to get the bullet knocked out I might as well get this gun a new barrell.

As far as a new barrel goes what would you suggest should I get a original surplus barrell or a aftermarket one.

Sorry for the rant but I am very pi$$ed off.

Last edited:
Right now I am mad as all hell, I was shooting my m1 garand today using surplus 30/06 and the first 6 shots fired fine the 7th didn't sound right and the bolt didn't cycle the action. Come to find out after I cleared the gun the bullet was a squib load [angry], and I have a bullet lodged in my barrel. I have tried everything to take the stuck bullet out but it is not going anywhere [crying]. Looks like the m1 carbine fund will be buying a new m1 garand barrel and hiring a gunsmith to install it. I know I could hire a gun smith to knock the bullet out but the bore on this gun is not that great anyway (shot out muzzle), so instead of paying 50.00 to a couple of hundred dollars to get the bullet knocked out I might as well get this gun a new barrell.

As far as a new barrel goes what would you suggest should I get a original surplus barrell or a aftermarket one.

Sorry for the rant but I am very pi$$ed off.

Did you fire a round after the squib went off thereby destroying the barrel? If not you probably should look into taking it to a gunsmith to see if they can safely remove the squib before just throwing the barrel out and buying a new one.

Try this. Use some Kroil to lubricate the barrel and bullet. Might have to have it sit for a while but you should be able to bang it out.

B

EDIT: Do a search on Hatcher's Notebook. It's available online from a couple of places. He talks about using a cartridge with a full load of powder (less the bullet) to knock a bullet out. They tested it in a pressure gun and found the pressures were much less than normal ball cartridges. It's on P.190 of my 1966 reprint. Interesting reading.

Last edited:
M44,

Try continually tapping it with a cleaning rod from the muzzle end. It might take a while, but it will come out. Adding a lube may also work.

My suggestion is to pull the cleaning rod from one of your Mosins and keep dropping it down the muzzle, head first.

I wouldn't play with the other idea presented here.

I understand. Sounds like a real pain in the ass.

It is [sad].
Did you fire a round after the squib went off thereby destroying the barrel? If not you probably should look into taking it to a gunsmith to see if they can safely remove the squib before just throwing the barrel out and buying a new one.

No I did not fire a second round, but my bore is not very good and if I am gonna put much more money into this gun I would like a new barrell.

Try this. Use some Kroil to lubricate the barrel and bullet. Might have to have it sit for a while but you should be able to bang it out.

B

EDIT: Do a search on Hatcher's Notebook. It's available online from a couple of places. He talks about using a cartridge with a full load of powder (less the bullet) to knock a bullet out. They tested it in a pressure gun and found the pressures were much less than normal ball cartridges. It's on P.190 of my 1966 reprint. Interesting reading.

I have had other people suggest this method only thing is I also heard about it blowing the gun up.[rolleyes]
M44,

Try continually tapping it with a cleaning rod from the muzzle end. It might take a while, but it will come out. Adding a lube may also work.

My suggestion is to pull the cleaning rod from one of your Mosins and keep dropping it down the muzzle, head first.

I wouldn't play with the other idea presented here.

Me and my brother did exactly what you said for about 3 hours before I posted this thread. We used a cleaning rod from a 91/30 and we used lube, we moved it about a inch or two but it wont move anymore, and that bullet stuck down there is pretty mangled now to.

What really makes me mad is it was surplus, whats to keep this from happening again.Any ideas on barrells guys ?

Was it CMP surplus or something else? Just wondering if I'm going to encounter this too.

The surplus barrels are good if you can find one reasonably priced. Try these guys:

http://www.m1garand.com/

There are others but he's here local in the New England area. You might have seen him at the Springfield Gun shows.

The only other choices for the M-1's and keeping the original profiles are the Criterion barrels. Don't remember if the CMP sells these or Fulton Armory. Supposedly good new barrels that keep the rifle legal for John C. Garand matches.

Plenty of choices for you.

Joe R.

Have you tried tapping it out from the muzzle end or the receiver end? Im shocked you cant just smash it through, but i've never tried myself. I'd prolly get a rod of brass just smaller than the barrel and wailing at it before going through the hassle of the new barrel. I saw somewhere else someone suggest getting keyboard air cleaner, turning the can upside down and shooting the liquid propellant down the barrel. Since its so cold, supposedly it can make the bullet easier to extract. Sounds like snake oil, but worth a shot for $3

Sometimes you can lube the tube up good and fire a primed cartridge with no powder or head and pop that sucker out.

If that's a bad idea someone let us know. I've done it before on a pistol, but I don't know if there are any complications with longer barrels.

Last edited:
you could try getting a one piece cleaning rod then let the bullet soak in lube then try having some one hold the rifle and slowly tapping it out with the rod. you could try a ram rod tip for a muzzleloader to tap it out the tip will grab the whole bullet tip.

IMO i dont think the the barrel is "runied" it is still useable, the only probem is that god damn bullet stuck in there.

Last edited:
Guys I will not be knocking that bullet out [crying], I think I will bring it to a local gun shop next Wednesday and see what he suggests. But there is no possible way I can knock this bullet out, as of yet there is about 6 hours of banging and the bullet is not moving [angry].

The military surplus ammo was probably onr in a million I doubt it will happen again. I believe the guy I bought it from got it from the CMP.

Depending on what a gunsmith is gonna charge me I might have him knock the bullet out, but if it is more than 50.00 I wont out that into a shot out gun.

Does anyone know if this is a good barrel?

http://estore.odcmp.com/store/catal...pmax=&note1=&note2=&note3=&note4=&note5=&max=

Last edited:
I don't have any personal experience with those, but they are flying off the shelf for people that use them for Garand matches. Criterion is actually a pull buttoned barrel that is made by Krieger. If you want your rifle to be a shooter, I don't think you could do much better. The price is great too.

B

Be prepared to add another $100+ for a qualified gunsmith to remove the old barrel, prep the receiver, install the new barrel then test fire it. You didn't want to spend alot of money but this avenue may deplete the M1 Carbine stash by a large chunk! I'd rather spend $100 and have an M1 with a crappy bore AND an M1 Carbine!! Just my 2 cents...[smile]

Yeah, installing a new barrel is going to cost a lot more than trying to save that one.

Are you sure there's only one bullet in there?

I would try a close to tight fitting wooden dowel and a big hammer. Smash the hell out of it and don't worry about the barrel.

If you want to replace it, Champion's Choice will put on a new Douglas for under $350.
http://www.champchoice.com/shop.php?pline=RIFBA

Problem with that is that the wood will probably splinter and/or expand more into the bore before the bullet budges.

One suggestion... buy a few length of 1/4" metal rod (Home Depot). Drop it down the barrel and cut it a few inches longer from where it sticks out the muzzle (to minimize flexing of the rod from the hammer blows). Wrap some tape around the rod for a snugger fit and to minimize damage to the bore also place something over the muzzle to avoid damaging the crown). Give the rod a few sharp whacks with a hammer.

Hopefully, the bullet will move. As the end of the rod reaches the muzzle, remove it and cut a new length of steel rod and repeat the process.

How about using a muzzleloader type screw in bullet puller. It might fragmentate the bullet enough to move it????

This still an issue? By now you have expanded that bullet by trying to knock it out. What I would do at this point if you have the area to do it... (and yes people this is going to sound so back country it is not funny)

Unmount your receiver from the stock. Place the receiver on something that will support the steps I am about to mention. From this point a hydraulic jack will be placed onto the supports. From here, make sure your under one of your floor joints in your basement. There should only be under 7" from the tip of your barrel to that floor joint in length. A wooden block (scrap of 2x4 under on end of you receiver and jack plate) Place the 91/30 rod down the barrel and place some sort of metal on the end of the rod so it will not be pushed into the floor joint. (use something flat) Then very slowly pump the jack, at each pump, pause and wait a few seconds. If the rod is flexing too much, get another rod that will fit down your barrel but make sure it does not mark your rifling on your bore. This should free that damn squib.

Also, Make sure one hand is always holding the receiver, when that squib gets push out, the receiver might fall to the ground!

From you just hitting the rod with the hammer before, you are not delivering enough energy. By using a hydraulic jack you are almost coming up to the energy that the round was fired at I think 2800+- ft lb.

Best of luck. If I was closer I would surly lend you a hand.

Last edited:
Guys I have banged on this bullet for hours and hours and neither me or my brother can get it out. I will try the jack trick, also as for frequenting Brons I go on a weekly basis, I will definitely ask his advice.

Vellnueve, I dont like that kind of talk I aint all that dumb. And I am 14 now.

It's not that you're dumb, it's that he's suggesting a procedure that's a little bit complex and a little bit nuts.

If you're serious about looking for a replacement barrel, Numrich has plenty of them in varying grades. I see some for $20 with poor bores, $50 with fair bores, up to 160-200 for new barrels.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=2070zM1%20GARAND

Midway has some brass rods that are 18" in length. This is the .250" one. Only $11.29 plus shipping.
I have removed pistol squibs (plated and lead) with mystery oil (let it soak in on both bore and breech
end) and brass rods. Haven't ever done a rifle or jacketed one yet. Your problem may be that you have
deformed the bullet at this point and for all intents and purposes 'wedged' it in place. If you can get
some penetrating lube to soak in you might have a good chance to remove it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=510176&t=11082005

Last edited:
Midway has some brass rods that are 18" in length. This is the .250" one. Only $11.29 plus shipping.

I bought a few brass rods (also 1/4" "Key stock" - squared) at Home Depot or Lowes. MUCH cheaper than Midway. You can get them in varying lengths up to 3 or 4'. Only problem is that many stores don't readily re-order when they are out and I had to shop around for a bit to find them.

I also suggest using some lubricant in the barrel to make it move a bit easier.

Guys I will not be knocking that bullet out [crying], I think I will bring it to a local gun shop next Wednesday and see what he suggests. But there is no possible way I can knock this bullet out, as of yet there is about 6 hours of banging and the bullet is not moving [angry].

The military surplus ammo was probably onr in a million I doubt it will happen again. I believe the guy I bought it from got it from the CMP.

Depending on what a gunsmith is gonna charge me I might have him knock the bullet out, but if it is more than 50.00 I wont out that into a shot out gun.

Does anyone know if this is a good barrel?

http://estore.odcmp.com/store/catal...pmax=&note1=&note2=&note3=&note4=&note5=&max=

Check out the CMP forums if you need validation - but Criterion barrels are supposed to be good.

Sounds like there is something else going on with that stuck bullet (like it was oversize) - to first get it stuck in the barrel to begin with - and then make it so hard to get out.

Everybody has already suggested trying to knock it out with a cleaning rod - the only suggestion I have not seen yet is to cool the whole thing down - that might shrink the metal enough to free up the bullet that you can hammer it out.

Mechanics use this method all the time when installing bearing races - you cool the part down - and it shrinks just enough to make the bearing slip on.

You used to be able to find Garand barrels on Ebay all the time - they put in a policy against gun stuff a while back - and I haven't looked since then, so I don't know if they are still available there.

Garand barrels are everywhere - I believe Midway and Brownells' both have them listed in their catalogs also.

Back
Top Bottom