Microstamping

Oh please move to VA. I always chuckle when I buy AR parts with a MA stamp that are not legal for mere MA citizens to use on their AR's.

With the craptastic economy, a lot of states would provide land and tax incentives to get these large manufacturing groups in their states.

Supporters of the technology say it will be a “game changer,” allowing authorities to quickly identify the registered guns used in crimes.

What about the hundreds of millions already in circulation that aren't registered ?????

Oh please move to VA. I always chuckle when I buy AR parts with a MA stamp that are not legal for mere MA citizens to use on their AR's.

With the craptastic economy, a lot of states would provide land and tax incentives to get these large manufacturing groups in their states.
You guys have some work to do to cleanup the unlawful detention issues...

If they pass that here manufacturers aren't going to be the only ones up and leaving. We'll walk away from our house, take the hit and abridge our long term plans for moving to NH. If it weren't for our kids growing up here I would have packed up last July when we got RETROACTIVELY TAXED on income.

I never got this kind of thinking, so someone gets shot and they figured out were the gun came from. Ok so do they have the gun, no. Do they have a shooter, no. Only thing they know is what gun killed the person, and im sure you dont hang onto a gun you shot someone with it.

My worst fear on this is would i have to make sure i have all my brass i shot at the range, and could i argue in court that it cant be proven that the casing found at the seen was actualy fired from the gun that killed the person, and that the case was planted.

Last edited:
More BS lobbying by a sole patten holder looking to create a problem what he's developed the solution for.

What do you do if you've created a useless product that you can't sell? Convince legislators to require it.

This may sound kind of stupid, but couldn't you just swap out your firing pin to "de-microstamp" it?

This is nothing that some detailed takedown instructions and then some fine file work on the pin cannot fix.
That way the ID is on only on the outside of the gun like it should be not on the inside of it.

Remington and Colt would do well to dump NY & CT respectively.
I am sure there are plenty of states that would love to have them.
Down south or out west is where they should go.
The moonbats don't have control of the whole country just CA, IL, NY, NJ and most of New England.

smitty

Last edited:
I don’t think it would help anything," Stephens said. "It would probably be more of a hindrance than anything else. A criminal is going to obtain a weapon if they want to obtain a weapon. This is a downstate ploy, it’s downstate politics.”

This came from a law maker?!?! I think this is a first, no?
Be still, my beating heart

If the firing pin records the serial number of the firearm, intentionally obscuring it becomes a felony.
After the first shot the serial number on the firing pin starts to wear. So how many shots will it take to cause the serial number to be unreadable? And how is the average shooter is supposed to know that his micro stamped pin is now defective and if it is and he gets caught with said problem is he going to jail. So now we have to keep a record of shots fired and at said point send pistol back to the factory for a new firing pin costing "X" plus the cost of installation and fitting plus the cost of shipping back and forth. They don't have to ban firearms they just have to keep coming up with stupid ideas that will nickle and dime us to the point that it will be too expensive maintain the weapon.

Is this in a new bill, or your interpretation of current law?

I think it comes from the federal law regarding obscuring/removing serial numbers from firearms. As a microstamp would essential be an imprint of the weapon serial, removing it would possibly make it fall under the same regulation. IANAL, YMMV.

If the firing pin records the serial number of the firearm, intentionally obscuring it becomes a felony.

After the first shot the serial number on the firing pin starts to wear. So how many shots will it take to cause the serial number to be unreadable?

It's one thing to prove that someone tried to remove the s/n from the frame.

It is quite another to expect an engraving made on the face of a hammer that repeated whacks into a piece of metal, to last.

How many rounds indeed before the microstamp is obliterated?

Here's an article (bad article) but it shows a good image of what a micro-stamp looks like. 2 minutes with a jewelers stone and it's gone.

http://assembly.state.ny.us/member_files/016/20090618/

The law makes removing the microstamp (or replacing the firing pin with a non-microstamping model) a Class A misdemeaner (2 year Upto $2,000 fine) but provides an exception that posession of a defaced microstamping device is not evidence of defacing the microstamping device.

It requires all semi-automatic handguns recieved, sold, traded or transfered by an FFL and manufactured after the state date (original bill was January 1, 2012) be certified "microstamp-ready" - which requires an individual certification letter (or copy) from the manufacturer and requires the manufacturer to register the microstamp with the state police.

The law has a start date (was originally 2012) but will go into effect sooner if 2 or more job houses report to the state police that they will committ to creating micro-stamping ready sub components at the price of $12 per unit in quantities of 1,000 units. (that's where the "it will only add $12 per gun" statement comes from) Doesn't cover the additional certification requirements, quality control to certify that individual weapons are compliant and maintaining of paper work. Will likely add $50-75 per gun to the costs.

While it allows for replacing the firing pin with another microstamp ready firing pin, it doesn't address reporting this replacement to the state if an individual does the work or whether the replacement needs to match the original or not.

It's one thing to prove that someone tried to remove the s/n from the frame.

It is quite another to expect an engraving made on the face of a hammer that repeated whacks into a piece of metal, to last.

How many rounds indeed before the microstamp is obliterated?

They added an exception to the "posession of a firearm with obsured serial numbers assumes attempts to obsure serial numbers" for micro-stamping. So, posession is not proof of intent.

I'm not sure about the durability of micro-stamping. I've seen some claims that they're in the 20-30k rounds range. Assuming you don't run a jewelers stone over the face of the firing pin.

To get around Microstamping couldnt someone just technically pick up brass at the range and drop it at the crime scene? I see a potential problem with this aside from the shear B.S.

To get around Microstamping couldnt someone just technically pick up brass at the range and drop it at the crime scene? I see a potential problem with this aside from the shear B.S.

Yes. Or you could just use a revolver. But lets not let facts and reality get in the way of another law.

Back
Top Bottom