Mauser 1891 Part 2

Just got the Mauser Argentino Modelo 1891 back from Four Seasons and it has been given a green light for the range. They did an excellent job cleaning up this poorly stored/maintained rifle. It'll never be pretty (there's only so much you can do with that many years' worth of rust) but it should shoot just fine. The firing pin, bore and action are all in good condition. They even did the initial sighting in of the scope, although I'll need to finalize that at the range (another new thing for me to learn).

I picked up the three boxes of Norma 7.65 they had in stock, but will either need to mooch off the skills of some reloaders or find some other supply. If I end up really enjoying this rifle (it's my first rifle) I will probably have to invest in reloading on my own, because the cost of store-bought 7.65 is prohibitive. Ah well, bridges to be burned later on, after some range time. Needless to say, I'll save the brass :)

So after the inspection/cleaning costs, the ammo and the bag I bought to fit the rifle, I spent about as much as it would have cost me to purchase the 1891 they had in stock. Not a bad deal, since the rifle was a gift.

This damn hobby/sport is gonna send me to the poor house!

My father makes the stuff, he's a manufacturer, specializing in rare/obsolete/military ammo. It isn't cheap, but the good news is that it can be made cheap enough. You can even make the brass from 30-06. The 7.65 uses the same bullets as the 303 British and 7.7 Jap. Let me know if you intend to get started reloading, I can point you in the right direction. Tony is another good source of info.

Back
Top Bottom