• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MassFishHunt 2011

I just printed my 2011 licenses/permits, courtesy of the commonwealth's new online system ( http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/licensing/index.htm ).

Recreational Saltwater Fishing Permit $10.00
Sporting License (Freshwater Fishing & Hunting) $40.00
Antlerless Deer Permit Application $0.00
Turkey Permit $5.00
Waterfowl Stamp $5.00
Bear Permit $5.00
Archery Stamp $5.10
Primitive Stamp $5.10
H.I.P. Survey $0.00
$25 Wildlands Fund Donation $24.27
Wildlands Stamp $5.00

Fee Summary
Subtotal: $104.47
Convenience Fee: $6.22
Total Amount Due: $110.69

----------------

Hardcopies are no longer mailed -- what you print is what you get.

One cool thing, you can reprint copies easily enough. One uncool thing is, now I've got even more 8.5"x11" sheets of paper to jam into my wallet alongside my 3 mc registrations.

I refuse to pay that silly "convenience fee." Especially after they stuck it to me on the surplus antlerless tags for zone 8 a few years ago. That was the year the DFW decided at the last minute to only sell the zone 8 surplus permits over the counter while selling all of the other surplus doe tags Online. The only convenience I ever saw with the Online system was not having to get up in the middle of the night and go stand in line in the dark to get a surplus zone 8 doe tag; not that it is an issue anymore.

You can get it at Dicks Sporting Goods for the face value of the license or at the local town hall and only pay a dollar premium.

Bob

Just got my fishing license this week also, online. Might try to use it tomorrow before the game.

One cool thing, you can reprint copies easily enough. One uncool thing is, now I've got even more 8.5"x11" sheets of paper to jam into my wallet alongside my 3 mc registrations.

If I remember right from last year I think they'll mail you a regular license.

Are you not supposed to cut the paper? My fishing license only takes up half of the 8.5"x11". I cut it in half and removed the frame. It folds up to about the size of the license I got last year in the store.

This may sound stupid, but was the donation really a donation? Or, was it something they charged you for, such as a fee?

I see theyre charging for saltwater this year, anyone know what that money is going towards? and did they drop the price on the freshwater license? Id have to find mine but I remember paying atleast 28$ last year

Might get a bear permit this year, buddy up in maine had one in his sights while deer hunting, it was walking straight towards him and got to about 30 feet away and he was ready to drop it but it walked off at that point, only to realize later he could have taken it on his deer license supposedly

Last edited:
Here's what I paid.

Resident Citizen Sporting 12/31/2011 $40.00
$25 Wildlands Fund Donation 12/31/2011 $24.27
$10 Wildlands Fund Donation 12/31/2011 $9.71
Turkey Permit 12/31/2011 $5.00
Waterfowl Stamp 12/31/2011 $5.00
Wildlands Stamp, resident 12/31/2011 $5.00
Subtotal $88.98
Convenience Fee $4.21
Total Amount Paid $93.19

How come I had two different "Donations?" And if I didn't have a choice whether or not to make said donations, is it really a donation? If it's a fee, just call it a fee. Or a tax. it's all the same. Whatever it is, it's sure not a donation.

& they won't even be mailing out the hard copy! What's convenient about having to print it myself, on my own paper, using my own ink? For ninety-three bucks, I should get something tangible. Not even real 'stamps'!!

Any donation is strictly voluntary. There isn't a whole lot of info there but you do have to make those selections for them to be included.

I booked a fishing charter this summer. Small boat... stripers, blues, maybe sea bass. Will all four of us need licenses, or are the regs similar to Florida, where one license covers the entire boat? This is MA waters.

Thanks,

Bill

I booked a fishing charter this summer. Small boat... stripers, blues, maybe sea bass. Will all four of us need licenses, or are the regs similar to Florida, where one license covers the entire boat? This is MA waters.

Thanks,

Bill

Ask the guy running the charter, I believe if he has a captains license that will cover everyone on the boat, if not all of you will need a license, Floridas the same way if im not mistaken.

What the hell is a 'convenience fee'? Is that what you have to pay for the 'privilege' of applying online?

What about the cost reductions in staffing and overhead, because you're now ABLE to apply online. Only in a 'Progressive' state do you get charged extra for allowing the state to reduce its admin costs in support of a process.

Silly me, I forgot.... the union beast still has to be fed.

Last edited:
What the hell is a 'convenience fee'? Is that what you have to pay for the 'privilege' of applying online?

What about the cost reductions in staffing and overhead, because you're now ABLE to apply online. Only in a 'Progressive' state do you get charged extra for allowing the state to reduce its admin costs in support of a process.

Silly me, I forgot.... the union beast still has to be fed.

Ticketmaster has been doing the same thing for years.

First time hunter here.

I just spent some time poking around on the Mass Fish & Game site looking for info on the Mass Hunter Safety Course. I knew it was mandatory, but didn't realize that it consisted of SIX THREE HOUR CLASSES!!! WTF?!? Please tell me I read that incorrectly. Also, virtually all spring classes are full. Is there a private alternative to the free, state run class? I am willing to pay for it if it means I can avoid some of the BS.

Hunter safety class is waived if you have an old hunting lic.
The mass wildlife classes always say full but the teachers seem to always make room for more.
It's worth the time spent and even someone that has hunted for ever will learn new things.
The instructors are volunteers and do a great job also it's free to attend.

First time hunter here.

I just spent some time poking around on the Mass Fish & Game site looking for info on the Mass Hunter Safety Course. I knew it was mandatory, but didn't realize that it consisted of SIX THREE HOUR CLASSES!!! WTF?!? Please tell me I read that incorrectly. Also, virtually all spring classes are full. Is there a private alternative to the free, state run class? I am willing to pay for it if it means I can avoid some of the BS.
#1 - you need to take the class.
#2 - I've taken the class several times since 1993, it's great information, and 18 hours is not enough to even scratch the surface.

18 hours of instruction for free is a damn fine deal. If you move to NH you can take their stuff online, but then you lose out on the chance to ask questions and learn some useful information. I'm also of the opinion that an ethical hunter will invest the time without question.

I got mine a couple days ago.
Fishing + Hunting, Archery Stamp, Turkey Tag, Bear Tag, and a lottery entry for area 11, $69.

It's nice to see the places around that state are so cheap for non-res. I wanted to go to CA for a hunt, but a deer tag there is around $450 if I remember correctly. Woof.

#1 - you need to take the class.
#2 - I've taken the class several times since 1993, it's great information, and 18 hours is not enough to even scratch the surface.

18 hours of instruction for free is a damn fine deal. If you move to NH you can take their stuff online, but then you lose out on the chance to ask questions and learn some useful information. I'm also of the opinion that an ethical hunter will invest the time without question.

I understand that it is likely a porthole to a wealth of hunting wisdom. I value that. The problem is that it is required by the state, and it is NOT a "damn fine deal". It isn't free, it is paid for by our tax dollars. My hunting rights are naturally indowd.

Last edited:
Maybe your rights are, maybe they aren't, is your knowledge? Also, just curious, where in the BoR are your rights to hunt reserved? I'd like to read that.

Regardless of rights, it's a requirement, and that's pretty much all there is to say about it. Not trying to argue with you, but especially out here, the laws are a cat's cradle of bs, I'm actually contemplating signing up for the hunter's ed class out here, just to ask a few "dumb" questions, and see what the silly ass rules I have to put with out here are.

I may be mistaken, but I believe fish and game is paid for explicitly by the sales of hunting licenses, tags, EPO fines, etc. I know back in NV those classes were paid for by other hunters paying for legal tags, and poachers paying for being caught. They covered that in the first 20 minutes.

Maybe your rights are, maybe they aren't, is your knowledge? Also, just curious, where in the BoR are your rights to hunt reserved? I'd like to read that.

Regardless of rights, it's a requirement, and that's pretty much all there is to say about it. Not trying to argue with you, but especially out here, the laws are a cat's cradle of bs, I'm actually contemplating signing up for the hunter's ed class out here, just to ask a few "dumb" questions, and see what the silly ass rules I have to put with out here are.

I may be mistaken, but I believe fish and game is paid for explicitly by the sales of hunting licenses, tags, EPO fines, etc. I know back in NV those classes were paid for by other hunters paying for legal tags, and poachers paying for being caught. They covered that in the first 20 minutes.

Rewind several hundred years and tell any human being they don't have free hunting rights. See how that works out. The right to feed ones family is a natural right. I don't look to the Bill of Rights as a list of permissions. The Constitution is a declaration of the limited powers that are ascribed to our government, not a limited list of our rights.

Also, licensing fees are TAXES.

Last edited:
Rewind several hundred years and tell any human being they don't have free hunting rights. See how that works out. The right to feed ones family is a natural right. I don't look to the Bill of Rights as a list of permissions. The Constitution is a declaration of the limited powers that are ascribed to our government, not a limited list of our rights.

Also, licensing fees are TAXES.

Wonder the success rates of people using those arguments in the legal system.

Back
Top Bottom