Prepping for 2011 deer season

Despite a direct insult, I’ll address your points with respect.
3. Coyote hunts are extermination hunts. As with other varmint, the goal is population reduction. I would not call putting cheese in a mouse trap unethical and neither would I blame someone for baiting a coyote. ...

4. Lastly, contrary to your assertion, I strongly believe that it is everyone’s duty to speak up when something immoral is proposed.

I am speaking up. I think it is unethical to treat coyotes with anything other than the utmost respect.

This year yes. Normally we dont have this much snow. There still were plenty of acorns on the ground at the end of muzz season too. If this was a normal snow year they would still be in the same places eating acorns. They would still be bedding in same covers they prefer during hunting season. They would still be moving around on the same trails they used earlier in the year.

This year is different. The rediculous amount of snow very likey may have moved them into the thick pines, on south facing slopes or both if they can find them.

I came across a deer that the coyotes tore apart and not much left out on ice. I remember looking over and thinking it looked like someone had emptied a lawn mower bag out there. It was the contents of the deers stomach and looked like juniper needs. The coyotes ate everything else.
I helped a friend butcher some road kill earlier in the season and the belly had lots of corn in it. I have been told by people that I respect that as the seasons change their needs change as well as the availability of food. I see lots of urban deer here in the winter that never seem to show in the summer. They come in from the woods to feed on the bushes around peoples houses. I don't think the woods offer the same amount of food for them in the wild. About 15 years ago video taped 14 deer eating the bushes around the house all at one time.
Its a lot easier to see where they been with the snow cover now. Last year my wife called me to the window to watch 3 bucks she had been watching. It was interesting to see them walk up one at a time eat while the others watched from about 50 feet away. In the deep snow they stepped in the same foot prints coming in and out. I am guessing it takes much less energy that way then to always be blazing a path through the deep snow.

Coyote hunts are extermination hunts. As with other varmint, the goal is population reduction.
And what is deer hunting called? Clue.........wildlife management! [rolleyes]

neither would I blame someone for baiting a coyote. In the areas where there is overpopulation of deer and wildlife officers prudently determined that harvest via any method is necessary to keep the population healthy, it might be ethical to harvest old or weak or otherwise undesired deer over bait. However, my original comments were based on the OPs scenario, which would indeed result in unethical act.
Oh! I get it, you're the one who decides when a hunting method is ethical. How could I have been so foolish. [rofl]
Hypocrisy at it's best. [laugh]

Last edited:
Almost hit 2 deer last night, I saw #1, braked and just missed #2 as I was skidding through the slush. if there was a #3 he would have been done.

it sure was something seeing them hurdle the snowbanks, though.

Sad, though, it sure is a tough winter. Wonder how big of an effect it'll have on the herd.

Almost hit 2 deer last night, I saw #1, braked and just missed #2 as I was skidding through the slush. if there was a #3 he would have been done.

it sure was something seeing them hurdle the snowbanks, though.

Sad, though, it sure is a tough winter. Wonder how big of an effect it'll have on the herd.

The winter won't have much of an effect, what you're witnessing is the result of the overgrowth of the deer population in the state.

We have a relatively short deer season compared to states with equal sized deer populations plus a much smaller hunter population which has resulted in deer populations growing faster than they can be managed since there is a lack of management to begin with.

The deer must be starving by now after all the snow. With a depth over 3' they are suspended and can only stand on solid ground where their trails are and there is nothing to eat unless they get a frozen snow pack to walk on.

The rain and freeze which followed might be a blessing. The coyotes will end the hunger quickly.

I figured they'd still be yarded up, Wintertime I get them browsing around the house at night, but that's usually not till around late february when food starts getting scarce.

all my bushes are buried in snow....sorry deer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom