Mass: 2011 preliminary archery and shotgun deer season results

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Preliminary information on the archery and shotgun deer season results have been compiled though some check stations have yet to report their tallies. For the 2011 archery deer season, a preliminary statewide total of 3,689 deer were checked in at official deer check stations. The Western District office tallied 397 deer while Connecticut Valley District office reported 430. Central District stations checked 657 deer; Northeast District, 995; and Southeast District checked 1,210 deer. During the statewide shotgun season, licensed deer hunters checked in 5,343 deer. The breakdown of deer checked by District check stations were: Western District, 688; Connecticut Valley District, 725; Central District, 1,038; Northeast District, 910; and Southeast District, 1,982. In addition to the shotgun season total above, the DCR Quabbin Reservation Hunt yielded 73 deer. All reported figures are preliminary; the final harvest numbers will not be available until spring.

For comparison I added the final totals from the three previous years:

2010 Archery deer 3788
2010 Shotgun deer 4846

2009 Archery deer 3492
2009 Shotgun Deer 4927

2008 Archery deer 3521
2008 Shotgun deer 5793

Bob

Only 9000 deer killed? I'm surprised there isn't more of an overpopulation problem down there.

Wow, apparently this was a good season. Wow.

That was my response as well when I saw the numbers. I was really surprised as everyone I know was seeing nothing and many that normally shoot deer took none. I shot deer but I had to put in much more time (for what I shot) than normal and my sightings were way way down.

I am really concerned about how the new check in policy will effect the population. The honest will always be so but it will make it much easier for those who bend the rules.

Bob

i didnt get to go hunting but checked all my normal spots and no sign anywhere.. my uncle got one small buck with a bow but that was it. we are in central ma. few other guys i know who hunt didnt ghet out much but none had luck in ma. these #'s surprise me.

Well, the checking here is silly.

I'll offer this up, if they were to show legitimate numbers that proved harvest was down, it would most probably impact number of licenses sold for the next year, and that's a revenue stream that has to be protected.

So, it would behoove them to inflate numbers, in the name of, "to account for unchecked deer."

Back
Top Bottom