Mass Bear Hunting 2011

Hi NES folks,
I was wondering if anyone was going to do some early bear hunting in Massachusetts beginning on September 6th, 2011. I went for a few days last year for the first time in Florida, MA. I am from the Southeast so I don't know anyone up there to
get permission to hunt our their land. I was limited to the state forest and power lines. Last year was a very early year for fruit and berries. I saw no berries on the power lines and as a result, no bears. Did find fresh bear scatt, when closely
examined reflected the bruin was dinning on grasses. Would love to have had a corn field to hunt from. Either way I had a great time. I am up in the air about this year. Was planning on camping out of the back of my pick-up in the state forest. Would like to hear from others on this subject and any recommendations.
Thanks,
Snowshoe

From what I've read, a bear can recall the time & location of forage available throughout an entire year. I had a lot of bear activity near me last month, but haven't seen any bear for the last few weeks. Maybe they've moved from berries to corn? I've got no corn fields nearby. And it's quite a hike from where I know they've been hanging out, to where the corn fields are. I'll be out there as soon as the season opens though, mostly afternoons. I figure I'll at least get some deer scouting in.

Its been a couple weeks since i ran into any bears out in the woods behind my house. Lots of fresh bear scat, mostly berries on the menu. Tracks in marsh areas but no actual sightings. This will be my first year bear hunting where I actively went out and scouted. The last bear I ran into, my dog decided he wanting to teach it a lesson about whose property it was. Latched right onto the bears neck and had a go with him for 5 seconds until the bear ran off and up into a tree. I figure if I can take one, thats one less that my dog will have to deal with and one less vet bill that I cant afford.

I'd be up to looking for someone to meet up with and share a hunt. Not very familiar with places to hunt, and would like to get out.

One thing I've noticed near me is the abundant supply of hard mast beginning to drop from the canopy. Looks to be a bumper crop of beechnuts this season.

I am looking to get out to look for some bear but I do not even know where to start. I live in Leominster, so if any one is interested in helping out a novice let me know!

One thing I've noticed near me is the abundant supply of hard mast beginning to drop from the canopy. Looks to be a bumper crop of beechnuts this season.

Acorns too, and the recent storms have brought a lot of forage down. Nearly wiped out hiking last Tues due to the litter of nuts.

I'm considering Bear hunting in MA for the first time. I was looking over the Abstracts. Why would you NOT be able to hunt Bear with a Shotgun ?? Am I reading it wrong ? Guides in Alaska carry a Shotgun for bear defense everyday. Confusing................

I'm considering Bear hunting in MA for the first time. I was looking over the Abstracts. Why would you NOT be able to hunt Bear with a Shotgun ?? Am I reading it wrong ? Guides in Alaska carry a Shotgun for bear defense everyday. Confusing................

You read it right. This is Mass. Check logic at the border. On the + side you can use a handgun (.357 or greater)
to hunt bear during the first season.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom