Massachusetts Wants Your Bacon

c3pA5Lul3J9dJNqNvLHTXYOHG_zFUe9WqKBIpstAswGTz0cXnVB0mtAWZ97Bj9cDt4mo9sgZ7aIxMrvY2XuQiPDJOIvlEvPYN2wqg_SjA-KYgwNO=s0-d-e1-ft

BOHICA Mass residents, it's almost time to get "porked"

Me too. I buy 25lbs or so of pork belly, salt cure it for five days or so. Then into the smoker. It is out of this world good.
I am heading to Restaurant Depot today for a pork belly. The ones they have are great. Not only the belly for bacon, you get a rack of ribs and a pretty good pork steak.

How the hell does this law 'form a more perfect union, establish justice,
ensure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty'? Government is out of control.

Are pork to the list of things to get in NH.

Time to just go. Get the heck out of there. Not bacon related, but Mass related......
The brainwashing continues. The term is now "migrants" not even a soft reference to their unlawful status like "undocumented".

I guess I have a different mindset and prefer to treat animals with some decency (and when I take a deer, bear, etc., I want a clean, quick kill). My family has raised cattle, pigs, chickens, etc. for food and we have always tried to treat them well. The new law requires that pigs have enough room to lie down, fully stand up, fully extend their limbs, and turning around freely, I don't think that is too much to provide for an animal whose life you will eventually take. I am also of a mindset that the "happier" an animal is the better quality meat it will provide.

Just curious, how many of you keep your dogs in cages their whole lives, unable to move around much and never let them out?

Last edited:
I guess I have a different mindset and prefer to treat animals with some decency (and when I take a deer, bear, etc., I want a clean, quick kill). My family has raised cattle, pigs, chickens, etc. for food and we have always tried to treat them well. The new law requires that pigs have enough room to lie down, fully stand up, fully extend their limbs, and turning around freely, I don't think that is too much to provide for an animal whose life you will eventually take. I am also of a mindset that the "happier" an animal is the better quality meat it will provide.

Just curious, how many of you keep your dogs in cages their whole lives, unable to move around much and never let them out?
Do you know of any double blind studies testing that theory? [NOT a commentary on the rest of your post]

Time to just go. Get the heck out of there. Not bacon related, but Mass related......

Dude, how long did it take you to move out of MA? You have an epiphany in your 50s, after you retire, and then act like anyone left is an idiot for staying. I have elderly parents here, you think I should just leave them to manage for themselves? I make a very good living here and will be getting a great pension, should I just throw that all away a short time before retirement? I am sure others have different but similar things keeping us here. Yeah, MA sucks in some ways, but, to me anyways, family trumps everything.

Do you know of any double blind studies testing that theory? [NOT a commentary on the rest of your post]

Do you know what mindset means, I was not referring to or suggesting anything about studies, it is my opinion. I know what stress does to my body and feel that it can have the same effect on animals, again, my mindset/opinion.

Do you know what mindset means, I was not referring to or suggesting anything about studies, it is my opinion. I know what stress does to my body and feel that it can have the same effect on animals, again, my mindset/opinion.
I equate the term to "belief" or possibly "opinion".

I was simply asking if you had any facts to back up your belief.

this obviously is deserving of a new thread, i too love that bacon!

Do you want to start that thread? or should I?
I miss Kayem and their hot dogs and other assorted meat products

Regional Hot dog brand suck down here in NC (Gwanty is like Bar S). Also I have no idea why Red Maine Style hotdogs "called red hots" but there is nothing hot about them.

These lefty activists don't like anything...

Dude, how long did it take you to move out of MA? You have an epiphany in your 50s, after you retire, and then act like anyone left is an idiot for staying. I have elderly parents here, you think I should just leave them to manage for themselves? I make a very good living here and will be getting a great pension, should I just throw that all away a short time before retirement? I am sure others have different but similar things keeping us here. Yeah, MA sucks in some ways, but, to me anyways, family trumps everything.
Different strokes for different folks. It's all good. Whatever makes you happy is all that matters. Your not an idiot. Your choices and priorities are different. Don't like my posts, don't read them.

While bacon wouldn't cause me to leave other things are. My Mother in Law was a healthy 93 y/o when i retired in 2012. Despite being healthy for her age she still needed some level of assistance. So my wife and I agreed that we'd wait until she was gone before moving south. After all, at 92 she wasn't likely to be with us that much longer.

Fast forward to September 2021. Time caught up with her and we were free to leave as our kids are grown and living in the south. We are now in the process of moving but there are a lot logistics to be considered after a lifetime living in MA.

It's easier to say than to do.

Different strokes for different folks. It's all good. Whatever makes you happy is all that matters. Your not an idiot. Your choices and priorities are different. Don't like my posts, don't read them.

Exactly, we all have different priorities and different things going on in our lives, we are all not free to move about the country or maybe we don't want to for whatever reason. I have 60 acres of land in central MA that is prime farmland, I truly love that land, I could not live on a postage stamp anywhere, I would literally suffocate. I have thought about selling it and even moving to NH, but there is just not anything comparable (with good soils, etc.) reasonably priced. But it also has become a great gathering spot for all my family and friends, we have awesome parties/events that everyone talks about for months or even years later - it is no longer just a piece of land, it has become a piece of all of our lives, as crazy as it sounds. I see why families take pride in handing down farms from generation to generation, and it makes me sad that history of our country is dying as more and more corporations push out and then buy family farms, absorbing or developing them.

I equate the term to "belief" or possibly "opinion".

I was simply asking if you had any facts to back up your belief.

No studies off hand, but long term stress does cause physiological issues and can change chemical balances and all sorts of things.

Personally, I like my pigs to be able to roam free and enjoy plenty acorns as they walk around.
jamon-iberico-maza1.jpg

While bacon wouldn't cause me to leave other things are. My Mother in Law was a healthy 93 y/o when i retired in 2012. Despite being healthy for her age she still needed some level of assistance. So my wife and I agreed that we'd wait until she was gone before moving south. After all, at 92 she wasn't likely to be with us that much longer.

Fast forward to September 2021. Time caught up with her and we were free to leave as our kids are grown and living in the south. We are now in the process of moving but there are a lot logistics to be considered after a lifetime living in MA.

It's easier to say than to do.

My parents (who have been divorced for decades) both live near me and are OK with getting their own meals and most "daily living" but still require quite a bit of assistance at times that my sister and I are there for. I assume it is going to get worse. Even if I wanted to, I just could not move away and let everything fall on my sister (and also not be there on a daily basis for my parents if needed). We also have a close group of friends (quite a few actually) from our high school and earlier years, as well as their kids that all consider my wife and I their aunt/uncle (having kids was not in the cards for us), it would be tough leaving them after being so close for literally decades. My wife and I would definitely like to spend quite a bit of time traveling (on the road in an RV roaming the country for a few weeks at a time would be our preference) when we retire but will likely stay where we are because of family/friends. That is just us and our priorities, nothing that MA does will really affect us at this point in our lives, at least not enough to offset the pluses (that we perceive) to staying here.

No studies off hand, but long term stress does cause physiological issues and can change chemical balances and all sorts of things.

Personally, I like my pigs to be able to roam free and enjoy plenty acorns as they walk around.
jamon-iberico-maza1.jpg

Agreed.

This isn't much of a life, even though I know they don't live that long. Sometimes they are large enough (and the cages are small enough) that they get stuck for who knows how long in whatever position. Does it really take that much more land area to have a free range pen?

Now "illegal".

1691545416433.jpeg

"Legal"

1691545777386.jpeg

I like this:

pig-shed.jpeg

Last edited:
Agreed.

This isn't much of a life, even though I know they don't live that long. Sometimes they are large enough (and the cages are small enough) that they get stuck for who knows how long in whatever position. Does it really take that much more land area to have a free range pen?

Now "illegal".

View attachment 783441

"Legal"

View attachment 783444

I like this:

View attachment 783446

Yup.

Yeah, maybe pork prices might rise a little, but at least we won’t be a**h***s to the animals before we eat them.

I bet the pork prices will barely rise anyway. It’s not a high bar to meet the law.

Back
Top Bottom