• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts Wants Your Bacon

SFC13557

NES Member

New rules on pork production will lead to regional shortages.​

From today's WSJ.

It's here, start stocking up until Supreme Court hears the case. The sheeple have voted, no more bacon for you carnivores 🤬

"Americans are bringing home less bacon as pork prices have jumped 8.5% over the last year. Now animal-rights activists in Massachusetts are piling on costly farm regulations that could inflate pork prices and cause shortages across the Northeast.

Bay State voters in 2016 approved a referendum that would prohibit the sale of products from farms that confine “any breeding pig [sow], calf raised for veal, or egg-laying hen in a way that prevents the animal from lying down, standing up, fully extending its limbs, or turning around freely.” Hog farmers would be most affected since nearly all are housed in individual pens.

Final regulations specifying how supermarkets, restaurants and hog farmers must comply with the law keep being delayed, no doubt because this means tracking pork throughout the supply chain. State lawmakers last year postponed implementation until Aug. 15 to avoid causing more supply headaches.
“There’s so many things that there’s shortages on, it’s almost like throwing salt on a wound,” Larry Katz, president of the Massachusetts butcher shop Arnold’s Meats, told Western Mass News. He said major companies have announced plans to stop selling pork in Massachusetts.

The Massachusetts rules would also bar noncompliant pork from being distributed to other states in New England. Massachusetts imports most of its pork from North Carolina and the Midwest, and it is a distribution hub for Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Maine. In other words, the rules could affect the production and sale of pork across a broad swath of the country.

The National Pork Producers Council last week sued to block the rules from taking effect. Compliance “is not merely a matter of changing the size of the pens,” the group explains, but entails “the far more complex task of taking a supply chain developed to create and deliver a consistent commodity and reconfiguring it to differentiate Massachusetts meat” at each step of the way. The group adds that the rules would also endanger the health and safety of sows, which can attack one another if not separated.

Producers also make a strong argument that the rules violate the U.S. Constitution’s Commerce Clause, which prohibits states from substantially burdening interstate trade. Massachusetts claims it can impose the regulations under its constitutional police powers to protect public health and safety, but the rules don’t do either.

If Massachusetts can prohibit the sale and mere distribution of meat produced by out-of-state farms, why couldn’t it do the same for goods manufactured by businesses that don’t follow its more onerous labor regulations? Or how about products made with coal power?

Democratic states are increasingly imposing their progressive cultural values on other states. Fortunately, the Supreme Court has a chance to stop this regulatory imperialism. The Justices in October will hear a challenge to California’s similar farm animal regulations, which are on hold pending the Court’s review. States that extend their regulation too far and harm other states need to be penned in."

The Massachusetts rules would also bar noncompliant pork from being distributed to other states in New England.

I can't see other states in the area NOT saying "go suck a free range egg" to Mass. What a shitty California thing to do.

I also live minutes from RI. I'll get pork there if necessary. I thought we took care of this earlier this year or late last year with the whole "egg"bacle.

So why not post it in that prior existing thread?....you can cut and paste the update in the other thread no?...
Because Bacon is a general firearm related topic, and he's too good for OT. Also, he follows his own rules, and you should thank him for his service.

And I think there was something about being dropped on his head, but I tuned out...

"Because Bacon is a general firearm related topic, and he's too good for OT. Also, he follows his own rules, and you should thank him for his service.

And I think there was something about being dropped on his head, but I tuned out..."

So is Katz Deli a firearm related thread? Jesus, you dupe fairies just don't get it but back to the subject at hand. We'll see if bacon disappears from MA. supermarkets and if butchers and deli's revolt. The Ma**h*** sheeple voted for this nonsense, I'm sure it was mainly Leftist women who carry around their fur babies.

"Because Bacon is a general firearm related topic, and he's too good for OT. Also, he follows his own rules, and you should thank him for his service.

And I think there was something about being dropped on his head, but I tuned out..."

So is Katz Deli a firearm related thread? Jesus, you dupe fairies just don't get it but back to the subject at hand. We'll see if bacon disappears from MA. supermarkets and if butchers and deli's revolt. The Ma**h*** sheeple voted for this nonsense, I'm sure it was mainly Leftist women who carry around their fur babies.
You're right, the Katz thread is also in the wrong forum. Grownups don't excuse their bad behavior on the poor examples of others.

"You're right, the Katz thread is also in the wrong forum. Grownups don't excuse their bad behavior on the poor examples of others."

WAAA! Like you said I don't check nor post in OT, this thread was started months ago here so I updated it because it will be enacted on the 15th. Why is this so hard for you mean girls to understand? "If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it does it really make a sound?" Why are you wasting your precious time sending me insulting emails? Have you nothing else to do? I'm retired, I can f*** with you all day long if you like. Peace out bro, the country is on the verge of explosion and my posting etiquette gets you that upset? ;) Save your anger for our enemies, we have many and they are all around us.

"You're right, the Katz thread is also in the wrong forum. Grownups don't excuse their bad behavior on the poor examples of others."

WAAA! Like you said I don't check nor post in OT, this thread was started months ago here so I updated it because it will be enacted on the 15th. Why is this so hard for you mean girls to understand? "If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it does it really make a sound?" Why are you wasting your precious time sending me insulting emails? Have you nothing else to do? I'm retired, I can f*** with you all day long if you like. Peace out bro, the country is on the verge of explosion and my posting etiquette gets you that upset? ;) Save your anger for our enemies, we have many and they are all around us.
You created this thread, this morning, in general. You're the one who tells us you come here to talk about guns. Why are you starting threads about bacon here? Why don't you go to a cooking forum for that? Surely, they'll be the right place for that?

This IS firearms related. During COVID, all of the Ma**h***s came up to NH to clean out our grocery stores of food, and gun shops of ammo. If they come for our bacon now, there will be blood. I man's gotta know his limitations, and letting you flatlanders take our bacon out of state (or to your summer camps/2nd homes) is where we draw the limit. MAKE READY! TAKE AIM!...you know what comes next.

You created this thread, this morning, in general. You're the one who tells us you come here to talk about guns. Why are you starting threads about bacon here? Why don't you go to a cooking forum for that? Surely, they'll be the right place for that?
Because the previous thread on this subject was posted here months ago, I do believe. I am updating because it's about to be implemented and many NES Members probably aren't aware of this law/mandate and will be quite upset and confused on why they can't buy their favorite bacon at their local supermarket. It's a public service announcement for my fellow small batch bacon lovers. You remind me I need to head to Hannaford's or MB and pick up a few packages to weather the coming storm. I guess you won't be attending our pending meet up at the new NY style deli in Worcester which I have promised to visit and review for my fellow NES Jewish style deli lovers when it opens in September. Please visit the Katz deli thread to read the article I posted on the deli.

May need to start an “Any Bacon Eaters?” thread. I need to get me some of that fine Applegate Uncurred or some good North country fruitwood finished. Nothing on the shelves. Either you need to know a guy who knows a guy, find a retailer out of state who will skirt the law and ship to MA, or buy a membership and get into the lottery for some of the allocated good stuff. Now if I can only have a glass of PVW and a BLT with smoked double cut I’d be livin’ the good life.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom