Massachusetts Rifle Association - Woburn, MA

or. ya know, just to screw with any sign of support you may have garnered. People who are acting in bad faith, will do everything to tip the scales to their side.

Never attribute to mallace....

It's also possible that the BoD wanted to make sure that bad weather wouldn't interfere with support.

If I were in Rich's position I'd be annoyed if it *wasn't* postponed if the weather were terrible.

So I'm thinking of joining MRA - as I'm about a 10 minute ride away in Winchester.... But there seems to be quite a bit of angst towards the club being thrown around in the recent pages of this thread.

I guess I'm just looking for someone to chime in and provide a non-biased opinion on the club... But, it seems a couple people are upset over "something" regarding the possible confiscation of firearms (?) taking place at the range (?) the conversation is far too convoluted for me to get a grasp on. Others seem to be ignored by the powers that be - even when dealing with critical issues such as a loss of access to the club facilities by means of a faulty key FOB.

Either of the situations I just brought up would be of concern to me. I tend to enjoy modifying my firearms within the limits of NFA / MA AWB terms of course. Regardless of that - the last thing I'm interested in is some wise ass trying to hassle me over the silver solder or weld/pin job on my "non-stock" muzzle brake at the end of my Type 53.

Any and all comments are appreciated. Thanks!

So I'm thinking of joining MRA - as I'm about a 10 minute ride away in Winchester.... But there seems to be quite a bit of angst towards the club being thrown around in the recent pages of this thread.

I guess I'm just looking for someone to chime in and provide a non-biased opinion on the club... But, it seems a couple people are upset over "something" regarding the possible confiscation of firearms (?) taking place at the range (?) the conversation is far too convoluted for me to get a grasp on. Others seem to be ignored by the powers that be - even when dealing with critical issues such as a loss of access to the club facilities by means of a faulty key FOB.

Either of the situations I just brought up would be of concern to me. I tend to enjoy modifying my firearms within the limits of NFA / MA AWB terms of course. Regardless of that - the last thing I'm interested in is some wise ass trying to hassle me over the silver solder or weld/pin job on my "non-stock" muzzle brake at the end of my Type 53.

I have been an MRA member for a few years now. Did not have any issues, the facilities are very good and the people are nice and helpful.

Recently, it seems that the board of directors has shown some signs that concern me - lack of transparency, unseemly statements on NES (you can find them a few pages back - no need to rehash that), overt arrogance, etc.... but this has not affected the rest of the club. Yet.

I'd definitely still recommend MRA, but do your homework on club politics ahead of time - we seem to be headed for some turbulence.

I've been a member for almost 10 years, so here's my crack at a brief. unbiased review of the club:

The good: the club is in a great location (just off 93 and 95 in Woburn) and has excellent facilities (relative to clubs in the surrounding area). Of particular note is the "Loeb" indoor range. It's 25 yards, open 24-7 (except during events or classes), and has few restrictions relative to the rest of the club. It features modern target carriers (so you don't need to call a cease fire to change your target), and the backstop can handle anything up to 50bmg. The club is also very affordable - I think dues come out to about $15/month.

The bad: the club has a large membership and has had some trouble in the past with unsafe/distructive behavior. In addition, the club is located in a fairly populated area, and the board is very paranoid about rounds leaving the club. As a result, they have some very restrictive rules (particularly on the outdoor ranges) and are very heavy handed with discipline (lately the usual punishment for a rule violation seems to be expulsion). These rules include guest limits, capacity limitations on most ranges (you're only allowed 1 round in the gun on the 100/200 range), distance limits (the closest you can hang a target is 30 feet), only "approved" targets are allowed, no drawing from a holster, qualification requirements to shoot on the 50 or 100/200 yard range, etc, etc. They've also plastered the club with cameras and signs, they routinely review the footage for violations, and they post the equivilent of a "police blotter" of rules violations and the consequences - most people are expelled. It can be a little unnerving, and feels a bit like shooting at a maximum security prison.

The ugly: this is purely my personal perspective, and others may have a different opinion, but to me the MRA feels like it's run by the "good ol' boys club," and members are treated as guests who are "allowed" to shoot at "their" club. It comes across as a tremendous double standard: the extensive rules apply to members and are strictly enforced, while it seems that board members and those in the "trusted" inner circle are given access to club aminities not available to other members and permission to do as they please. There seems to be little transparency to the inner workings of the club, and from my experience they haven't been very welcoming of the involvement of new members. Recently there has also been a rash of "politics" going on at the club, which I've avoided, but as a member I find disheartening none the less.

It's an unfortunate situation, but for $15/month it's one I've learned to live with. I have a membership at another club where I do most of my shooting, and where I'm more actively involved in the community. However, I maintain my membership at the MRA and shoot there a dozen or so times a year, when the weather or location makes it convenient.

Last edited:
With sadness, I'm passing on info on the passing of a former MRA BOD Member (and fellow Constable), Ray Spinazola. Wake is today and funeral tomorrow.

http://www.lynch-cantillon.com/obituary2.php?id=3124

Raymond C. Spinazola passed away Wednesday, March 5th with his beloved family at his side. The dear husband of the late L. Frances (Kirkland) Spinzazola, he was ninety-four years of age.
. . .
He had also served as a Director of the Massachusetts Constable Association and Massachusetts Rifle Association. Ray was also a member of the Italian Police Officers Association, Woburn Historical Society, and the West Side McDonald’s Coffee Club.
. . .
Relatives and friends are kindly invited to attend a Funeral Service at the Lynch-Cantillon Funeral Home, 263 Main Street, Woburn on Saturday, March 8th at 12 Noon. Calling hours will be held on Friday from 4 to 8 p.m. Interment in Woodbrook Cemetery, Woburn. Remembrances may be made in Mr. Spinazola's memory to the Woburn Historical Society, 7 Mishawum Road, Woburn, MA 01801.

RIP, Ray!

Please do not forget the BOD meeting is Monday March 10th, 2013. Meeting starts at 6:30, usually pizza is served around 6pm. Bring a fellow member. The more the merrier!
Also, I will be hosting a gathering at On The Border, Woburn, Ma after the meeting should anyone care to join me.
I, too encourage the membership to show up at the BOD meeting on Monday night. Are you aware that the Board is sitting on over $700,000 of YOUR money, YOUR dues? What do they have planned for YOUR money? Have they asked YOUR opinion? 17 people making decisions for over 2000 members? Show up and let them know what YOU think!

Forget about updates, I'd just like to be able to use the WiFi, but that's one of the many amenities that's for "board members only."

Agreed fellas I'm sure they could spend some money in there but they choose not to . I've seen other clubs and I was like wtf . Come summer time I have decide to renew or not

I've been a member for almost 10 years, so here's my crack at a brief. unbiased review of the club:

The good: the club is in a great location (just off 93 and 95 in Woburn) and has excellent facilities (relative to clubs in the surrounding area). Of particular note is the "Loeb" indoor range. It's 25 yards, open 24-7 (except during events or classes), and has few restrictions relative to the rest of the club. It features modern target carriers (so you don't need to call a cease fire to change your target), and the backstop can handle anything up to 50bmg. The club is also very affordable - I think dues come out to about $15/month.

The bad: the club has a large membership and has had some trouble in the past with unsafe/distructive behavior. In addition, the club is located in a fairly populated area, and the board is very paranoid about rounds leaving the club. As a result, they have some very restrictive rules (particularly on the outdoor ranges) and are very heavy handed with discipline (lately the usual punishment for a rule violation seems to be expulsion). These rules include guest limits, capacity limitations on most ranges (you're only allowed 1 round in the gun on the 100/200 range), distance limits (the closest you can hang a target is 30 feet), only "approved" targets are allowed, no drawing from a holster, qualification requirements to shoot on the 50 or 100/200 yard range, etc, etc. They've also plastered the club with cameras and signs, they routinely review the footage for violations, and they post the equivilent of a "police blotter" of rules violations and the consequences - most people are expelled. It can be a little unnerving, and feels a bit like shooting at a maximum security prison.

The ugly: this is purely my personal perspective, and others may have a different opinion, but to me the MRA feels like it's run by the "good ol' boys club," and members are treated as guests who are "allowed" to shoot at "their" club. It comes across as a tremendous double standard: the extensive rules apply to members and are strictly enforced, while it seems that board members and those in the "trusted" inner circle are given access to club aminities not available to other members and permission to do as they please. There seems to be little transparency to the inner workings of the club, and from my experience they haven't been very welcoming of the involvement of new members. Recently there has also been a rash of "politics" going on at the club, which I've avoided, but as a member I find disheartening none the less.

It's an unfortunate situation, but for $15/month it's one I've learned to live with. I have a membership at another club where I do most of my shooting, and where I'm more actively involved in the community. However, I maintain my membership at the MRA and shoot there a dozen or so times a year, when the weather or location makes it convenient.[

Your telling me that if I went to the Loeb at 3:00 am, and I brought 3 guests instead of 2, and even though we only used one lane, I would be expelled. Seems kind of harsh.

No, that's not what I'm telling you. All disciplinary actions are determined on a case by case basis by the BOD. Only they could tell you. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

But the rules are the rules, and if you look at the disciplinary blotter, the majority of the decisions result in suspension. Last I checked there was a guest policy violation written up, but O don't recall the results.

It's an unfortunate situation, but for $15/month it's one I've learned to live with. I have a membership at another club where I do most of my shooting, and where I'm more actively involved in the community. However, I maintain my membership at the MRA and shoot there a dozen or so times a year, when the weather or location makes it convenient.

Well I'm glad I asked because These are the thing's I'm really interested in knowing before forking over an initiation and annual fee.

It seems the general negative consensus is that;
- The club is rather strict with it's "high" level of restrictions
- It has MANY members for its size
- There is a general rules leniency towards those on, and close to the BOD's within the club itself
- Set of amenities available to the BOD's NOT available to the general member population (?) It's not like theres some BOD only scotch and cigar room clad with epic game kills and a giant fireplace.... right? :)

I just can't keep living in MA without a place to go shooting. I live literally 10 minutes away from MRA - should I really look anywhere else?

*If anyone is willing to bring me as a guest this wednesday evening so I can test the waters for real - shoot me a PM. Thanks! (and maybe submit my application / fee the same night - so I'd prefer to go before or during the hours that the office is open.)

I've been a member at MRA for a couple years. I don't go as often as I would like, but life gets in the way sometimes. I don't find the rules at MRA to be a problem for the way I like to use the club. Typically I go later in the night and rarely is there more than a couple other people there. I pretty much always stick to the Loeb indoor range.

If any of their rules are a deal breaker for you, then look elsewhere. Stick within the rules and you'll have no problem. Get involved in club politics at your own peril. I'm on the BOD for another organization currently, so I prefer to keep a low profile and just go shoot at MRA. Haven't had a problem yet.

Forget about updates, I'd just like to be able to use the WiFi, but that's one of the many amenities that's for "board members only."

So, ahhm, at the next membership/general meeting, make a motion for the wifi to be made accessible to all members, get it seconded, and approved. It's *YOUR* club, you pay for everything in the building. Don't let the board blindly run the show.

Same thing for every rule or issue you don't agree with. Rock the vote to rock the boat.

According to the range rules located on the web site there is no restrictions on the number of guests that a member can have on site at one time. They have to all be on the same range and only one may be on the firing line at a time. From the published range rules:

RR1.03
GUESTS:

- The host member is fully responsible for the guest’s conduct and for any damage to the Association property resulting from the guest’s visit.
- A member may have only one guest on the firing line at a time.
- The host member must be present with the guest on any range facility at all times.
- A member is allowed to bring an individual shooting guest to any range not more than 3 times within a calendar year.
- Members will have priority use of ranges and guests will yield their shooting position as capacity allows.
- While coaching of new shooters is encouraged, no member or guest may conduct any formal training for compensation without the express permission of the Board of Directors in consultation with the Safety and Education Program’s Chief Instructors.

My read is you can bring your guests. They need to be with you while on the range. Only one may be on the firing at a time. You are directly responsible for their conduct. You can bring the same person no more than three times in a year (unless family).

I have seen many members bring more than one guest. Proper club etiquette is if space is limited, members take precedence over guests irrespective of who is there first.

I have heard that members that have had multiple guests on a firing line at the same time have been subject to discipline.

Dave

I, too encourage the membership to show up at the BOD meeting on Monday night. Are you aware that the Board is sitting on over $700,000 of YOUR money, YOUR dues? What do they have planned for YOUR money? Have they asked YOUR opinion? 17 people making decisions for over 2000 members? Show up and let them know what YOU think!

Just wanted to provide some follow-up about this posting that I made, yesterday. While shooting at the club this morning, a member of the BOD told me that he didn't like my post very much. I was really shocked by his comment. Who is this Board member to tell me what I can say and what I can think? Is this a subtle form of intimidation?

Or is this a glimpse into the thinking of a core group of this Board, who believe that members who have a differing opinion or position, or who challenge the status quo are a threat? It seems to be that it is the Board's way or the highway. A good number of the Board have forgotten that it is us, the members, who have the power. We need to remember that, too.

Interesting that this club has over 2,300 members but less than 200 vote every year. This complacency by us seems to have emboldened some members of this Board to no end.

Again, I encourage all members to attend tomorrow night's Board meeting; 6:30pm in the office. Of particular concern is the Board's attempt to expel a long-time member and former Board member who has worked tirelessly for this club and for the shooting community in general.

Be there! Be heard!

Just wanted to provide some follow-up about this posting that I made, yesterday. While shooting at the club this morning, a member of the BOD told me that he didn't like my post very much. I was really shocked by his comment. Who is this Board member to tell me what I can say and what I can think? Is this a subtle form of intimidation?

Or is this a glimpse into the thinking of a core group of this Board, who believe that members who have a differing opinion or position, or who challenge the status quo are a threat? It seems to be that it is the Board's way or the highway. A good number of the Board have forgotten that it is us, the members, who have the power. We need to remember that, too.

Interesting that this club has over 2,300 members but less than 200 vote every year. This complacency by us seems to have emboldened some members of this Board to no end.

Again, I encourage all members to attend tomorrow night's Board meeting; 6:30pm in the office. Of particular concern is the Board's attempt to expel a long-time member and former Board member who has worked tirelessly for this club and for the shooting community in general.

Be there! Be heard!

There is nothing subtle about it. Check the earlier posts from board members in this thread... they are brimming with disdain for anybody who questions the status quo.

And the low number of members who vote is exactly the way the board likes it...

Be there! Be heard!

I've been a member for years and I've never been to a BOD meeting, I will try my best to get out of work early and be there tonight.

I want to personally thank all those members who showed support for either myself or your club by showing up at tonight's meeting. While my fate as a member is yet to be revealed, I know who my true friends are.
Good night, and I will see you on the range.
Rich

I'm glad I came. I was kind of surprised how few people were there, maybe 30 including the B.O.D.
Good luck Rich, I'll see you at one range or another.

You have a freedom to leave our club anytime. We come to shoot there and not to bitch. If you like to bitch find yourself a club where bitching is the main activity they do.

The club belongs to him too, the club belongs to everyone who is a member. He has every right to "bitch" about what he doesn't like about the club. If you have a problem with his bitching, you're welcome to find yourself another club where ignoring members is the main activity they do.

Back
Top Bottom