Massachusetts Rifle Association - Woburn, MA

For those MRA members who do not have a copy of the MRA bylaws, PM me here with an email address and I will send you my copy in PDF or MS Excel format.

Are these the latest ranges rules, etc? The Range rules on the MRA website are from 2008 and don't reflect the latest changes such as using green tip ammo on the Loeb and that center fire rifles have to have the target all the way back on the Loeb. I'd really like to get a copy with all of the latest rules just so I can use the range without unknowingly breaking any rules.

Are these the latest ranges rules, etc? The Range rules on the MRA website are from 2008 and don't reflect the latest changes such as using green tip ammo on the Loeb and that center fire rifles have to have the target all the way back on the Loeb. I'd really like to get a copy with all of the latest rules just so I can use the range without unknowingly breaking any rules.

Since when has there been a change against using xm855 green tip in the loeb range? I know incendiary rounds and full steel core are prohibited but never heard anything against green tip.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Since when has there been a change against using xm855 green tip in the loeb range? I know incendiary rounds and full steel core are prohibited but never heard anything against green tip.

The change was that you could use green tip. The range rules don't mention that. I accidentally found out in this forum about a year ago that they were allowed. Not knowing that isn't a safety issue, but not knowing that I needed to put the target all the way back with a center fire rifle is. Luckily someone there told me before I started shooting.

EDIT: One thing that I'm not sure about... Do you need to put the target all the way back for center fire rifles only or is it also true for handguns?

Last edited:
The change was that you could use green tip. The range rules don't mention that. I accidentally found out in this forum about a year ago that they were allowed. Not knowing that isn't a safety issue, but not knowing that I needed to put the target all the way back with a center fire rifle is. Luckily someone there told me before I started shooting.

EDIT: One thing that I'm not sure about... Do you need to put the target all the way back for center fire rifles only or is it also true for handguns?

Okay that makes sense. For rifles, all the way down at 25 yards. For handguns is 10 yards minimum I believe.

The print / web 2008 version of the range rules is the most current print edition. There have been a few changes but if there is an issue check the green signs with yellow lettering on each range. Those signs are range specific as to ammo, loads, etc. Specifically, in answer to your question, 30 feet and beyond (the first red line down range) is the minimum distance for handgun targets, 50 feet and beyond (the second red line down range) is the minimum distance for rim fire rifle targets and all the way down (75 feet) is where targets for center fire rifles and shotguns (slugs only) should be placed. Due to the fact that the signs are, in a few instances, more up to date than the printed version there will probably be a updated version of the range rules in 2014.

As to the green tip 5.56 / .223 ammo, there is nothing in the rules about them because they are not prohibited. There was some confusion a while back about whether they constituted one of the prohibited types of ammo such as armor piercing, tracer or incendiary but they are none of these therefore there is no problem with using them on the Summa, Loeb or McLaughlin Ranges as long as you are hitting your target.

Last edited:
It was good to see so many friends and families ringing in the new year on the Loeb Range yesterday. Here's to the new year!

Did anyone get anything particularly interesting under the tree or in a stocking this year?

I was wondering if someone has a good MRA contact that I could contact regarding the following situation.

I have a good friend, who hasn't gone shooting before (except for some air rifles as a kid). I'd like to bring him over to the MRA, give him a safety run through and then take him onto the range. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue (I'm an MRA member), but my friend is blind. I want to do this for my friend but I want it to be safe for everyone involved and not make folks uncomfortable.

This is something he's really wanted to do and hasn't had much luck doing and I want to make it happen for him.

I figured I'd ask here, otherwise I'll give the office a ring on Sunday.

Man the place was packed tonight at 9pm. Every lane on Loeb was filled. Sorry if you happened to be to the right of my buddy and I firing our Garands and took some hot brass ;-).

Lucky.

I want my ****ing Fob fixed MRA!

I'm calling tomorrow morning.

If it's broken just stop by the office and turn in the old one and get a new one on Sun AM or Wed PM. Just note that with the new fob comes a new membership number.

The only thing they could help you with regarding the fob via the telephone is if the fob was shut off due to either nonpayment or rule infraction (and I doubt either applies to you).

Quick question: Is MRA now emptying the brass buckets every night? I generally go in the mornings and noticed the buckets are completely empty now. I reload and I kind of miss being able to pick up some bonus brass.

Not a big deal. Just curious.

Quick question: Is MRA now emptying the brass buckets every night? I generally go in the mornings and noticed the buckets are completely empty now. I reload and I kind of miss being able to pick up some bonus brass.

Not a big deal. Just curious.

There's been no concerted effort by the club to collect brass for recycling what you are seeing is the proliferation of brass monkeys (Latin: simia aes). That not-so-rare species found at ranges that hunts for the brass of others. While there is no general issue with this, if you fall within that particular species, please show some basic range courtesy and ask before you take brass from someone else's area while they are shooting (the brass bucket is fair game) and try not to wander down range unless a cold range has been declared.

There's been no concerted effort by the club to collect brass for recycling what you are seeing is the proliferation of brass monkeys (Latin: simia aes). That not-so-rare species found at ranges that hunts for the brass of others. While there is no general issue with this, if you fall within that particular species, please show some basic range courtesy and ask before you take brass from someone else's area while they are shooting (the brass bucket is fair game) and try not to wander down range unless a cold range has been declared.

simia aes is nocturnal, and often feeds late at night

Recently got my LTC A and purchased my first (hopefully of many) gun and am looking to join a club. I live a few miles away from MRA but have heard that it's always really crowded on the Loeb range. I'd probably be shooting mostly in the evenings after 8pm weekdays and then sometimes on the weekends. Anyone have any input on the crowds around those times? I'll probably head over this Sunday to check it out.

Recently got my LTC A and purchased my first (hopefully of many) gun and am looking to join a club. I live a few miles away from MRA but have heard that it's always really crowded on the Loeb range. I'd probably be shooting mostly in the evenings after 8pm weekdays and then sometimes on the weekends. Anyone have any input on the crowds around those times? I'll probably head over this Sunday to check it out.

It varies and sometimes are worse than others. Fridays from 8-10 seems pretty busy but after 10 its typically a ghost towen from what I have seen lately. That said I have only been to the range 4-5 times in the last few months.

Back
Top Bottom