• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts Permit to Store More Than 10,000 Rounds

2lbs of Black powder is not dangerous, no one needs to know you have it.

2.25lbs OMG, the FD BETTER KNOW!!!!

Also, how stupid the laws are ... you can have 2lbs in the containers and another 10lbs reloaded in ammo, no need for permit. But if you have 3lbs in containers, then you cant have it? [laugh]
Fwiw hazmat regulations take "containerization" into account with storage and transport......not just total amount.

For example a truck carrying deisel fuel......can basically have an unlimited amount of deisel stored in individual containers provided that the individual containers don't exceed 9 gallons each. Over 9 gallons per container it becomes "bulk" and is then considered a hazmat shipment. The regs are set with probability of a spill if there is an accident. If you have 900 gallons of deisel stored in many 5 gallon cans the chances of a massive spill are limited because the chances of ALL the cans rupturing is low. However if the 900 gallons is in one tank and there is a rupture all 900 gallons is going to spill. I have dealt with this issue many times in the army. When we send convoys on the road the noob lieutenants always bitched that they needed a hazmat cert driver for 20 each Jerry cans of deisel. No......lieutenant.....you don't ......you can carry all the deisel you want in individual 5 gallon cans. Then the dumb f***ers would say I'll just put the hazmat placard on the truck just to be safe.....no.....lieutenant you won't.....because placarding for hazmat when your not carrying a hazmat load is just as illegal as not placarding an actual hazmat load. It's to keep people from cheating the system and leaving placards on to cover their ass and not actually check the loads.

I digress......

Anyway ...So.....consider your remarks on powder. 10 pounds of powder in thousands of individual containers (cartridges) a few grains at a time is much less likely to be a problem than one 3 pound jug.

Now.....dont read into my statement that I'm supporting the regs. I'm just providing insight based on my qualifications as a hazmat certifier as to where those numbers come from.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom