• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker to sign 'red flag' gun bill on Tuesday

I'm sure the penalties require a clear and convincing standard opposed to the accused. Did you notice the 2 1/2 year - instant Federally Prohibited Person; that is the goal of all laws now - more PP.

While the confiscating of one's guns on'y requires a "preponderance of the evidence", filing a false ERPO is a criminal offense, therefore requiring it to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt for them to incur any penalties.

My guess would be that neighbors will be the first to get added to the list. There will be some manufactured tragedy (whether in MA or elsewhere), where they'll interview a neighbor who will say they knew the perp was unhinged, but their pleas with authorities went unanswered (think Parkland, where there had been several calls to police and FBI about the murderer beforehand). Then our benevolent leaders will come out and say "We need to make sure this never happens again" and add neighbors to the list. Rinse and repeat for any other relationship they want to add.
Agree. This is just the beginning of a whole new way to attack our 2A rights. Holding my breath right now and waiting for the first application of this law. I'm sure it will be big news in the leftist media. [thinking]

While the confiscating of one's guns on'y requires a "preponderance of the evidence", filing a false ERPO is a criminal offense, therefore requiring it to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt for them to incur any penalties.

Of course at what cost to the accused?

You have been in a court room. Right?

Of course at what cost to the accused?

You have been in a court room. Right?

The point is that the state won't even bother to prosecute the case as there's not enough evidence to meet the standard. Prosecutors only care about the win; they won't take a case they know for sure can't be won.

The point is that the state won't even bother to prosecute the case as there's not enough evidence to meet the standard. Prosecutors only care about the win; they won't take a case they know for sure can't be won.
I was more concerned about the defense costs for the accused.

when y'all get tired of being abused come down to Texas. I'll rent you a room (cheap) for a month until you find a job and a place to buy/rent.

when y'all get tired of being abused come down to Texas. I'll rent you a room (cheap) for a month until you find a job and a place to buy/rent.

Almost ready to take you up on that....

I love New England...but MA...I mean who would have predicted that we would be pining for the good old days with "short Deval" at the wheel....WTF !!!

enough is enough, it's time to find a way to get together and get these people out of office.
Not to get too far off topic but you brought it up. I’m camping way way up north and I’m in a local yokel store when I hear two old timers bitchin and moanin about how bad Mass. is. I agree 100%. I think the whole stinking state should be flushed down the toilet. I politely pushed my way into their conversation and let them know what’s happening to their perfect little state right under their noses while they’re wasting their time jibber jabbering. The point is although I agree with you and your frustration you have to realize the liberals are far more determined and organized than we are. Their main goal is to stop us. They never say die and they have much more control on a local level right now than we do. And before anyone points the finger and asks what am I doing let me be the first to say other than supporting goal and NRA with membership, not much. I’m just as guilty as the two duffers. But I’m not a political animal. I rely on smarter people to guide me. But at least I’m honest about what’s going on here. I think all of this will eventually make its way to the Supreme Court and possibly go in our favor due to recent events. But never think that will deter the lunatics in this state. I mean the sun set on the Clinton assault weapons ban how long ago and we’re still suffering. Until we can find a way to at least get the ball rolling in the right direction we are doomed to hear judges say things like the 2A doesn’t apply to military style weapons. I don’t have any easy answers but I’m hoping someone does soon.

Expect this to be abused.

Just like the Florida Bill which nabbed the internet troll / edgelord.
Kids will have to learn to keep their parent's gun ownership to themselves. We are telling our daughters that teachers, other school officials and cops are untrustworthy scumbags and that they are not to talk to such individuals about what we own or what we do. I believe those old time Mafia dudes called it omerta.

My kids get a similar lecture. No one outside a small group of family and friends know. My mother doesn’t even know (but she’s an anti).

Kids will have to learn to keep their parent's gun ownership to themselves. We are telling our daughters that teachers, other school officials and cops are untrustworthy scumbags and that they are not to talk to such individuals about what we own or what we do. I believe those old time Mafia dudes called it omerta.

That is very, very good advice to your children. As they grow up, they will undoubtedly realize the extreme value of it.

Be sure to put away a couple of battle rifles, a couple of pistols and ammunition for both of them for their future needs.

I was more concerned about the defense costs for the accused.

You guys are getting your wires crossed.

Pete was basically just stating that the law is f***ed up because the standard of proof for an ERPO is lower than the standard (criminal law) burden of proof required to assert that someone is filing a false ERPO. . I don't believe he was asserting that anyone would ever actually be able to use that mechanism against someone for filing a false erpo.

-Mike

... Until we can find a way to at least get the ball rolling in the right direction we are doomed to hear judges say things like the 2A doesn’t apply to military style weapons. ...

Wait. I thought it was the 2A ONLY applies to military style weapons.

????

My kids get a similar lecture. No one outside a small group of family and friends know. My mother doesn’t even know (but she’s an anti).

Just the opposite. I try to encourage sharing the knowledge. Bring the kids' friends to the range, and eventually want to start a club at the school. Also thinking about trying to bring Eddie Eagle program into the schools.

Massachusetts is the safest state in the nation when it comes to gun violence? How's all those gun control laws working out ya?

Violent night in Dorchester leaves 1 dead, 4 hospitalized

Violent night in Dorchester leaves 1 dead, 4 hospitalized

Watching Fox News this morning they interviewed Evans at the scene. As they are interviewing him the sky lights up with a garage of fireworks. He states how chaotic it is there in Dorchester. Seemed like a big eff U when they blasted of those fireworks while he was on camera....lmao..

Good Job masspols....

The ERPO law is nothing more than a rubber stamp for gun confiscation. What (liberal) judge is going to turn down a request to have someone's guns taken away? The courts will all think they are stopping the next Las Vegas or Parkland every time an extreme risk protection order is filed.
And yes, it will no doubt soon extend to non-family members as well -- some Moms Demand Action or Everytown for Gun Safety jerk will pick a fight with someone wearing an NRA T-Shirt or who has a GOAL sticker on their car and go running off to the legislature "I was threatened & I need to feel safe!!!"

Don't forget the Doctors,.. librarians,.. etc,...

Just the opposite. I try to encourage sharing the knowledge. Bring the kids' friends to the range, and eventually want to start a club at the school. Also thinking about trying to bring Eddie Eagle program into the schools.

I’m surrounded by very vocal MOM’s against (you know the rest), part of it is I don’t want my kids or wife shunned by these “tolerant” folks. The other half is I don’t want the wrong people knowing that there are guns in my house.

You guys are getting your wires crossed.

Pete was basically just stating that the law is f***ed up because the standard of proof for an ERPO is lower than the standard (criminal law) burden of proof required to assert that someone is filing a false ERPO. . I don't believe he was asserting that anyone would ever actually be able to use that mechanism against someone for filing a false erpo.

-Mike

That's exactly what I'm saying. Some liberal family member reports that they're concerned about you, makes up some shit about how you said you were going to hurt yourself, or that you made a threat against someone and it's their word against your's. Who the judge agrees with more, by whatever standards they decide, is going to determine whether or not you keep your civil rights. You try to press charges of them falsely filing the ERPO and all they have to do is say they were legitimately concerned about you, and you have no real way of proving otherwise beyond a reasonable doubt. The only way we'll ever see a prosecutor take on the case of someone filing a false ERPO, let along see a conviction, is if the jackass is dumb enough to record him/herself gloating about how they did their stupid little SJW shit and got someone's guns taken away. There's no real mechanism for getting justice.

Well, we've yet to see how the confiscation will be carried out, but I want to say the death part is the real difference here. Granted they might do the thing Framingham SWAT-style and turn your head into a Gallagher watermelon imitation.
That (the death sentence part) and the Iraqis get some semblance of due process.

Back
Top Bottom