• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker to sign 'red flag' gun bill on Tuesday

Reptile

NES Member
Gov. Charlie Baker will sign a bill on Tuesday that will give Massachusetts even stronger gun control laws.

Massachusetts already has some of the strictest gun laws in the nation. The so-called "red flag" bill, or extreme risk protection order bill, will allow a family or household member to petition a judge to confiscate someone's gun if the person poses a danger to themselves or others.

Baker, a Republican, on Monday said he was swayed by the support of the state's police chiefs.

"Massachusetts has always relied on police chiefs to serve as the primary point of decision-making on issues around license to carry," Baker said. "The fact that the police chiefs came out and support this legislation meant a lot to us."

Baker is planning a bill signing ceremony at 12:30 p.m. in his office.

Under the bill, if a family or household member believes someone poses a risk to themselves or someone else, they will be able to petition a District Court judge to immediately suspend that person's gun license and confiscate their weapons.

Within 10 days, the judge would hold a hearing, and the person would have a chance to argue whether the protective order should be extended for up to a year.

The ruling could be appealed. It could be modified based on a request by either party.

Massachusetts police chiefs already have discretion to deny someone a gun license. But the police chiefs said this bill would provide an extra tool for family members who know someone best to remove someone's guns without involving the police.

Legislature sends 'red flag' gun bill to Gov. Charlie Baker

The bill would allow a family or household member to petition a judge to confiscate someone's gun if the person poses a danger to themselves or others.

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Marjorie Decker, D-Cambridge, gained momentum in the Legislature as part of a national push for stronger gun control laws after a school shooting in Parkland, Florida. Alumni of the Parkland school lobbied in its favor.

At least five states already have similar laws in place.

Supporters of the bill say it will save lives by potentially preventing someone from committing suicide or homicide.

Massachusetts' gun rights lobby opposed the bill. Representatives of the Gun Owners Action League had argued that the extreme risk protection order would do nothing to help someone who has a mental illness, but would merely confiscate a person's weapons and send the person home.

The bill will go into effect 45 days after it is signed into law.

The fact that they have it where anyone with issues against a gun owner can screw them over royally is just the way Mass. wants it. I mean anyone who can form simple thoughts knows this thing is ripe for abuse the way it is written so obviously that's exactly what they want. Unbelievable

Massachusetts police chiefs already have discretion to deny someone a gun license. But the police chiefs said this bill would provide an extra tool for family members who know someone best to remove someone's guns without involving the police.

Maybe I'm just slow, but wouldn't it be the police who come to serve the ERPO and steal, uh, temporarily confiscate the guns? How does that not involve the police?

This is just the tip of the iceberg. In a couple of years, the legislature will expand the reporting party list to include co-workers, neighbors, and any member of the general public. It's full-on legalized swatting. The end goal is to create more PPs.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. In a couple of years, the legislature will expand the reporting party list to include co-workers, neighbors, and any member of the general public. It's full-on legalized swatting. The end goal is to create more PPs.

Yup, few years down the road you piss off that moonbat in Shaws or cut off the Prius doing 55 in the left lane nd you have an NRA/gun related sticker on your car? One call....

A state law which suspends a constitutional right...how does that even work ?

I appreciate the efforts of Goal but perhaps the NRA was right to abandon MA...we *are* a lost cause.

I feel bad for the younger guys out there still dating. I can imagine a bad break up, an angry unhindged ex, and a phone call up may lead to a knock on the door by the local PD. Good luck to anyone getting divorced as well. The he said/she said argument is going to get super ugly.

I feel bad for the younger guys out there still dating. I can imagine a bad break up, an angry unhindged ex, and a phone call up may lead to a knock on the door by the local PD. Good luck to anyone getting divorced as well. The he said/she said argument is going to get super ugly.

209A already covers divorce and is basically rubber stamped already. This expands the 209A reaming to the rest of us. [thinking]

Told you this would get signed on the 3rd or 5th as a special "f*** you" to gun owners and Charlie the cuck goes along with it.

Well, one good thing came out of this, the Mass police chiefs admitted they're too incompetent to decide who should have a gun. Joe Blows mother-in-law is a much better choice. Hope they hire a lot more people to answer the phones.

Truly amazing. Blatantly unconstitutional and our corrupt, gutless MA pols couldn't care less. Once again, our only hope is the Federal courts. [thinking]

don't forget the republicans who endorsed this piece of shit (Facker)

Some republicans mix with conservatives, but R party as a whole is pretty much nuts as Ds are. At least when Catholic priests went full retard, there were way to excommunicate the offenders and distance the church from outliers. Rs are not doing it for a reason, there is no difference between R and Ds anymore.

Some republicans mix with conservatives, but R party as a whole is pretty much nuts as Ds are. At least when Catholic priests went full retard, there were way to excommunicate the offenders and distance the church from outliers. Rs are not doing it for a reason, there is no difference between R and Ds anymore.

That's the kind of shit that helped Trump take the Republican nomination away from the established Republicans. These dicknuts haven't learned a single thing from that experience, and like the Dims have doubled down on the stupid.

The weak, useless Faker has proven time and time again that he is 100% just another deranged leftist Dim. He just figured out a way to get elected in MA without having to beat even worse leftist Dims in the Dim primary. To call him an "R" is to insult the real R's out there (mostly in free America) still working to preserve our rights. [thinking]

The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

If ever there was a reason to bury/hide a gun, this is it. I was never a fan of burying my guns, but with this unconstitutional legislation, I'd put away a couple, just to be able to have one to xxxx the fvcker who filed a perition against me.

Of course, I don't live in MA, so it doesn't have any effect on me, but if I did, I'd be obtaining a couple of cheap handguns and rifles and a couple of cans of Zep IronClad, some PolyGunBags and a good shovel.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

If ever there was a reason to bury/hide a gun, this is it. I was never a fan of burying my guns, but with this unconstitutional legislation, I'd put away a couple, just to be able to have one to xxxx the fvcker who filed a perition against me.

Of course, I don't live in MA, so it doesn't have any effect on me, but if I did, I'd be obtaining a couple of cheap handguns and rifles and a couple of cans of Zep IronClad, some PolyGunBags and a good shovel.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Bury a half dozen 80%s and a jig.

Back
Top Bottom