Mass State Police Certified Firearms Instructor

Any idea what they used for verification documents? I can provide a DD214 showing my extensive history in Combat Arms units in training roles. I don't think I have anything that explicitly says Firearms instructor because the only people who would have something like that are instructors at specialty schools and the Small Arms Marksmanship Unit.

Not sure.

Call the Framingham State Police Barack, ask for the firearms Division and ask...

I have my LTC, have had it since 2008.

I don't mind doing the NRA class, if that is necessary. However, if I can receive my instructor certification based upon my current training, I want to do that. If anyone has used Military training experience to become a certified instructor I would love to know what they provided as verification documents.

To give an MSP BFS cert, you have to teach an approved course; if you don't have the permission/authority to teach one of the approved courses, you have to invent your own (someone on here did it, IIRC), and get it approved. It's not easy.

I could not just issue a cert to my kids, for learning it by osmosis; they got it on their hunter ed cards. Ironically, one was an NRA Apprentice Instructor, but that was not sufficient for FID issuance [laugh]

So....you may have the skills, but you also need the paperwork to go with it.

To give an MSP BFS cert, you have to teach an approved course; if you don't have the permission/authority to teach one of the approved courses, you have to invent your own (someone on here did it, IIRC), and get it approved. It's not easy.

I could not just issue a cert to my kids, for learning it by osmosis; they got it on their hunter ed cards. Ironically, one was an NRA Apprentice Instructor, but that was not sufficient for FID issuance [laugh]

So....you may have the skills, but you also need the paperwork to go with it.

That makes perfect sense and truly was what my gut told me. I figured there was no way they would just accept Military service, even in leadership/training roles as a qualifier. Looks like I am signing up for the NRA Instructor Pistol Shooting Course. That will indeed suffice for the requirements correct?

That makes perfect sense and truly was what my gut told me. I figured there was no way they would just accept Military service, even in leadership/training roles as a qualifier. Looks like I am signing up for the NRA Instructor Pistol Shooting Course. That will indeed suffice for the requirements correct?

Yes, and it will give you that authorization to teach that NRA course with the MA stuff added to give out BFS certs.

Yes, and it will give you that authorization to teach that NRA course with the MA stuff added to give out BFS certs.

Yeah, it is the correct way. Going to teach based solely on the NRA course, the MA stuff, and then some real world experience. So being that this is MA I will have to provide any firearms and ammunition used in the training. What do most use, rimfire pistols for the actual qualification portion? Is there still a qual portion? I'm glad I'm going to take the class.

Yeah, it is the correct way. Going to teach based solely on the NRA course, the MA stuff, and then some real world experience. So being that this is MA I will have to provide any firearms and ammunition used in the training. What do most use, rimfire pistols for the actual qualification portion? Is there still a qual portion? I'm glad I'm going to take the class.
Live fire=INSURANCE. Big time. Jack.

Live fire=INSURANCE. Big time. Jack.

Agreed, I will get some sort of insurance. Either through NRA instructor insurance or something else. I will also set up an LLC.

I don't intend to do this on a commercial level. My intent is to more or less instruct family and friends in a setting that they are comfortable in. Many people want the LTC, but they are intimidated by the process.

When I got my Texas CHL, the instructor did the class, proofread my paperwork, and sent it in certified mail. He then gave me the information I needed to track the progress of the application. I want to do something similar.

I also have a passion for teaching firearms safety and employment. That is going unfulfilled after leaving the Army.

An LLC will NOT protect you when "you are the company"! That is what I learned from numerous lawyers and accountants when I attended seminars on the subject some years ago (I was doing independent computer consulting at the time).

NRA insurance is resold by others but it is all the same except one company demands extra hoops. The cost is the same too.

Agreed, I will get some sort of insurance. Either through NRA instructor insurance or something else. I will also set up an LLC.

I don't intend to do this on a commercial level. My intent is to more or less instruct family and friends in a setting that they are comfortable in. Many people want the LTC, but they are intimidated by the process.

When I got my Texas CHL, the instructor did the class, proofread my paperwork, and sent it in certified mail. He then gave me the information I needed to track the progress of the application. I want to do something similar.

I also have a passion for teaching firearms safety and employment. That is going unfulfilled after leaving the Army.
Don't make it too complicated. I suspect that most of us instructors have just taken the NRA courses to get state certified. Really very simple. Jack.

I have requested my application to be certified as a BFS instructor from the MSP. I also requested an application for course curriculum approval. I will update all those that are interested as I make progress. Next step is building the packets for both applications.

Last edited:
I actually got my MA instructor paperwork back from the state police yesterday, and that's the form I used. It took exactly a month since I send my paperwork in.

EDIT: My 50 USD check is not cashed yet...
Was wondering about that, my check is not cashed yet either so don’t know they received it but didn’t know who to pester!

Was wondering about that, my check is not cashed yet either so don’t know they received it but didn’t know who to pester!

I too have been wondering about this. I am a NRA instructor but have not been doing anything since the newish type Basic Pistol course. Is it difficult to get an MSP certified class without using the NRA but still using the NRA type original training?

I too have been wondering about this. I am a NRA instructor but have not been doing anything since the newish type Basic Pistol course. Is it difficult to get an MSP certified class without using the NRA but still using the NRA type original training?

You have to use one of the MSP certified courses and AFAIK they are all proprietary, so the only way to teach one legally is to buy the rights to teach that particular class. The short answer is that other than the NRA classes, everything else is tightly controlled by the copyright owners and not available to the general teaching public.

To any current instructors on here, how difficult is it to actually find a location to run classes once you optain the Certification to teach? Is it easier to teach through a local gun club/other firearms organization or do you folks typically rent inexpensive venues for running courses?

I've always wanted to be an instructor (I was a teacher in a different dicipline years back and loved it), and want to stop putting this off now that my schedule has freed up a tad.

Last edited:
To any current instructors on here, how difficult is it to actually find a location to run classes once you optain the Certification to teach? Is it easier to teach through a local gun club/other firearms organization or do you folks typically rent inexpensive venues for running courses?

I've always wanted to be an instructor (I was a teacher in a different dicipline years back and loved it), and want to stop putting this off now that my schedule has freed up a tad.

Sadly many clubs have either put onerous restrictions on instruction or outright refuse to allow instructors to use their facilities.

Some people rent office space for classes and only teach HFS with no shooting. However some chiefs are refusing to accept those certs, insisting on live fire as part of their "suitability" requirement.

Some people partner with a gun shop to use their facility to teach there.

For the shooting part, you need to find a club that will allow you to use their range to teach students. Failing that you need to find one of the few commercial ranges that will let you rent a lane to teach students.

Factor in $1 Million instructor insurance thru NRA Insurance into your equation of costs. $315ish/year. The facilities you use may demand that you name them as co-insured. NRA gives you one at no cost, each additional adds $25 to the bill.

All of these costs need to be figured out to determine what you have to charge students to make money (assuming you run it as a business) or at least break-even (if you are just doing it for the sake of doing it).

Sadly many clubs have either put onerous restrictions on instruction or outright refuse to allow instructors to use their facilities.

Some people rent office space for classes and only teach HFS with no shooting. However some chiefs are refusing to accept those certs, insisting on live fire as part of their "suitability" requirement.

Some people partner with a gun shop to use their facility to teach there.

For the shooting part, you need to find a club that will allow you to use their range to teach students. Failing that you need to find one of the few commercial ranges that will let you rent a lane to teach students.

Factor in $1 Million instructor insurance thru NRA Insurance into your equation of costs. $315ish/year. The facilities you use may demand that you name them as co-insured. NRA gives you one at no cost, each additional adds $25 to the bill.

All of these costs need to be figured out to determine what you have to charge students to make money (assuming you run it as a business) or at least break-even (if you are just doing it for the sake of doing it).

Insurance costs itself or venue rental wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me or put this outside of what i was somewhat expecting i'd need to get started (fiscally speaking).

I was just curious if there were some fairly standard things i'd need to take care of before running classes, as various online articles i've read have differing things listed.

Thanks Len-2A! You've been a huge help! :)

To add to this, when I teach HFS, I bring along 12-13 guns as we're required to show the different styles of actions and let them load/unload dummy rounds thru them. Bottom line was I went out and spent ~$2K in guns to add to what I already owned so that students can see (and in some cases) shoot various guns. I did not expect that sort of an expenditure however and I still have no BP guns to show them.

You have to use one of the MSP certified courses and AFAIK they are all proprietary, so the only way to teach one legally is to buy the rights to teach that particular class. The short answer is that other than the NRA classes, everything else is tightly controlled by the copyright owners and not available to the general teaching public.

I got my NRA HFS Instructor Credentials in October and applied and received my MSP BFS Certification. I just got my NRA Basic Pistol Credentials and am trying to figure out how I add NRA Basic Pistol to my BFS so I can teach both courses. Any ideas? Thanks!

I got my NRA HFS Instructor Credentials in October and applied and received my MSP BFS Certification. I just got my NRA Basic Pistol Credentials and am trying to figure out how I add NRA Basic Pistol to my BFS so I can teach both courses. Any ideas? Thanks!
You are all set the MA State Police Certificate has your BFS number on it. All long as you teach any one of the approved course that you have credentials to teach. You list which course on the certificate you give to your students.

You are all set the MA State Police Certificate has your BFS number on it. All long as you teach any one of the approved course that you have credentials to teach. You list which course on the certificate you give to your students.

Thanks! Like rschuler I’m not looking to do this as a commercial venture or even really as a side gig. I take a lot of newbies shooting and thought I should learn the proper way to teach plus there are other reasons it doesn’t suck to be a certified instructor. I may do a class here and there for friends/families, wives & girlfriends of friends who don’t feel comfortable going to one of the commercial schools but still have an interest in getting their licenses. That and I’ll assist here and there to keep myself current.

Here's Rick's latest course schedule. He just emailed it to me 2 days ago.

Greetings All,

Here's a few hot courses by request!

Course Title:

NRA Instructor Pistol Shooting Course AND Home Firearm Safety Instructor Feb. 17 & 18 $250

Address:

Mansfield Fish & Game
510 East St
Mansfield, MA 02048
US

BIT:

Please note that this course is a BIT course.

https://www.nrainstructors.org/CourseDetails.aspx?Courseid=468776&seats=16&State=y&SearchState=MA&id=21&bsa=&youth=&women=

Course Title:

NRA Basic Range Safety Officer Course 3/17/18 9AM $100.00

Address:

Mansfield Fish & Game
510 East St
Mansfield, MA 02048
US

https://www.nrainstructors.org/CourseDetails.aspx?Courseid=468803&seats=20&State=y&SearchState=MA&id=19%2c30%2c5&bsa=&youth=&women=

Course Title:

NRA Instructor Pistol Shooting Course AND Home Firearm Safety Instructor Apr. 7 & 8 $250

Address:

Mansfield Fish & Game
510 East St
Mansfield, MA 02048
US

BIT:

https://www.nrainstructors.org/CourseDetails.aspx?Courseid=468780&seats=16&State=y&SearchState=MA&id=21&bsa=&youth=&women=

Course Title:

NRA Instructor Rifle Shooting Course Apr. 28 & 29 $250

Address:

Mansfield Fish & Game
510 East St
Mansfield, MA 02048
US

BIT:

https://www.nrainstructors.org/CourseDetails.aspx?Courseid=468784&seats=16&State=y&SearchState=MA&id=22&bsa=&youth=&women=

Course Title:

NRA Instructor Basic Personal Protection In The Home Course May 19 & 20 $250

Address:

Mansfield Fish & Game
510 East St
Mansfield, MA 02048
US

BIT:

https://www.nrainstructors.org/CourseDetails.aspx?Courseid=468800&seats=16&State=y&SearchState=MA&id=19%2c30&bsa=&youth=&women=

Course Title:

NRA Instructor Basics of Personal Protection Outside The Home Course June 16 &17 $300

Address:

Mansfield Fish & Game
510 East St
Mansfield, MA 02048
US

https://www.nrainstructors.org/CourseDetails.aspx?Courseid=468801&seats=16&State=y&SearchState=MA&id=19%2c30&bsa=&youth=&women=

Course Title:

NRA-NMLRA Instructor Muzzleloading Shooting Course July 28 & 29 $300

Address:

Mansfield Fish & Game
510 East St
Mansfield, MA 02048
US

https://www.nrainstructors.org/CourseDetails.aspx?Courseid=468806&seats=16&State=y&SearchState=MA&id=52&bsa=&youth=&women=

This is correct, except I think the state part was $70 or $80 can't remember.
(I was one of the very first people to get the Basic Firearm Safety Certification from the state)

The NRA "Home Firearm Safety" is the one most often used. (It is a 4 hour Non-Shooting course).

NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA Certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training

5.15 CMR 3.00 Firearms
It may work for students that reside in cities/municipalities that don’t require range time to teach the Home Firearm Safety course. However, a number of cities, Boston for one, require live fire range time.

While an instructor may only have a FID, the instructor, if using qualification as a certified NRA Instructor, has to be 21 yo., otherwise they would be considered either an apprentice Instructor or an assistant Instructor.

Last edited:
I took Rick Sitte's class a few years ago for Basic Pistol and Home Firearm Safety. Helped teach at a gun shop once in a while and did some on my own. When the NRA changed the format with Basic Pistol, (MA never accepted the new form as far as I know) I only do the Home Firearm Safety. If someone wants to go shoot, I will take them in a 1 on 1 case but I charge for the ammo.

I'm set up with cases to travel and can teach in my own home or at someone else's. I typically teach to people I personally know so i'm not concerned. If I don't know them i will make arrangements to teach somewhere else. My club will allow teaching, but I haven't looked into whats needed to do so yet. Should do that because I live in the neighborhood across the street.

The NRA returned to the original format (all classroom instruction) with the live fire course because a lot of instructors complained about the blended internet format. They still offer the blended internet/classroom format, although most instructors I have talked to don't like this and have returned to the original format. I offer both courses in addition to the PPIH and PPOH which I have incorporated into my 16 hr DC Concealed Carry Course.

Back
Top Bottom