• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass State Police Certified Firearms Instructor

Gents, those who have this cert, how/where did you go about getting that? What were the pre recs? Please advise with any helpful advice, etc.

I took my NRA course at GOAL. I recommend it to anyone with the experience and the right attitude!.

Once you have your NRA certs you can apply for the State Police Creds.

OK, so basic NRA safety course is pre rec for state police course?

I am NOT an instructor, but this is how I understand it to work.

In order:

1. Get NRA Instructor rating and credentials.

2. Request MSP Certified Instructor application form from MSP Firearms Licensing department (Framingham, I assume).

3. Fill out said application, enclose copy of NRA Creds and a check for $50 and wait for the MSP Certification.

No separate course required for the state cert.

OK, so basic NRA safety course is pre rec for state police course?

That's not exactly true.

There are a number of certifications that you can get in order to qualify to be a MA certified safety instructor.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor Rating
NRA Home Firearms Safety Instructor Rating

are two of them. Once you hold one of these ratings, of another one that qualifies, you can apply with the State Police to get your MA certification.

In order:

2. Request MSP Certified Instructor application form from MSP Firearms Licensing department (Framingham, I assume).

3. Fill out said application, enclose copy of NRA Creds and a check for $50 and wait for the MSP Certification.

No separate course required for the state cert.

Ah, OK. I had thought it was a different course. Will look into it further, thanx.

That's not exactly true.

There are a number of certifications that you can get in order to qualify to be a MA certified safety instructor.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor Rating
NRA Home Firearms Safety Instructor Rating

are two of them. Once you hold one of these ratings, of another one that qualifies, you can apply with the State Police to get your MA certification.

Roger roger, thanx.

There are many ways to get you MA State Police Creds.

The way I chose:

Took an NRA instructor course at GOAL

Sent a copy of my Certs with fees to MA State Police

Waited about 2 weeks

Not sure of the BFS instructor requirements, but here are the requirements for the mass wildlife basic hunter safety instuctor:

>18 years old
FID or LTC card
have taken basic hunter education course within last 10 years
Background check
two recommendation letters from people who can comment on your experience working with adult and youth audiences.

Don't know if these are hard requirements, but the app wants some history of working in youth or adult clubs or professional groups, and I think it helps if you have an existing instructor sponsor you.

After that you can assist in giving courses that are run by a master instructor.
You have to teach one course and attend a one day training seminar, per year, in order to keep current.

Last edited:
I took my NRA course at GOAL. I recommend it to anyone with the experience and the right attitude!.

Once you have your NRA certs you can apply for the State Police Creds.

Looking at the GOAL page, I see offered:

Course Descriptions

Basic Pistol

The Art of Concealed Carry

Intro to Trap Shooting

Intro to Skeet Shooting

Intro to IDPA

The Art of the Kubotan / Persuader

BFS Primer Course for State Certified Firearm Instructors

Unless I am missing it some place, not seeing seeing NRA certs needed.

Looking at the GOAL page, I see offered:

Course Descriptions

Basic Pistol

The Art of Concealed Carry

Intro to Trap Shooting

Intro to Skeet Shooting

Intro to IDPA

The Art of the Kubotan / Persuader

BFS Primer Course for State Certified Firearm Instructors

Unless I am missing it some place, not seeing seeing NRA certs needed.

You are not missing anything. The Goal course list gets updated throughout the year. Keep an eye on it.

Link above doesn't work and my search turned up 1900 entries. Anyone have the right link, or what section of the state website to look under?

On step that was missed: have an LTC. You cannot get the MSP cert without the appropriate LTC (of FID, if you're just doing the FID classes) first.

Most likely that most people have it, if they're asking about teaching, but.....

This is why my son (14) has his NRA Instructor certs., but can't be credentialed my the MSP, yet. Perhaps, when he gets the FID, we'll put in the app....as there's no age limit in the above cited CMRs.....

Last edited:
Last edited:
That link for the application appears to point to a broken server...

Anyone know the procedure for someone who is already listed to file an address change? Do they even care?

Bringing this thread back from a 1+ year slumber.

After moving back to MA I am very interested in getting certified by the state police as a basic firearms instructor, to help friends/family and others obtain their LTC. I know one of the biggest hurdles for those I know is that they are intimidated by taking a class with people they don't know, and from someone they don't know.

My instructor background is 8 years spent in Infantry, Cavalry, and Artillery organizations in the U.S. Army. I have trained hundreds of Soldiers on firearms safety and employment during this time. I would like to apply for my instructor credentials using paragraph (1), section (c) "a United States military firearms instrcutor".

Has anyone successfully done this? I would appreciate any feedback.

I know GOAL has classes, but I would be paying hundreds of dollars to hear topics I am already very aware of and trained on.

thanks!

In order:

No separate course required for the state cert

This is correct, except I think the state part was $70 or $80 can't remember.
(I was one of the very first people to get the Basic Firearm Safety Certification from the state)

The NRA "Home Firearm Safety" is the one most often used. (It is a 4 hour Non-Shooting course).

http://www.nrainstructors.org/Search.aspx

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/firearms-reg-and-laws/gun-laws/515-cmr-300-firearms.html

Last edited:
Bringing this thread back from a 1+ year slumber.

After moving back to MA I am very interested in getting certified by the state police as a basic firearms instructor, to help friends/family and others obtain their LTC. I know one of the biggest hurdles for those I know is that they are intimidated by taking a class with people they don't know, and from someone they don't know.

My instructor background is 8 years spent in Infantry, Cavalry, and Artillery organizations in the U.S. Army. I have trained hundreds of Soldiers on firearms safety and employment during this time. I would like to apply for my instructor credentials using paragraph (1), section (c) "a United States military firearms instructor".

Has anyone successfully done this? I would appreciate any feedback.

I know GOAL has classes, but I would be paying hundreds of dollars to hear topics I am already very aware of and trained on.

thanks!

I have met some that have under section 3.04 section C.

You should not have any issues.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/firearms-reg-and-laws/gun-laws/515-cmr-300-firearms.html

3.04: Firearms Safety Instructors Certification

(1) Requirements: For certification as a firearms safety instructor, a person shall be properly licensed with a FID card or LTC as required by law, and may only offer instructions on those firearms for which he is licensed. In addition BFS instructors shall provide documentation to verify status as at least one of the following:

(a) a firearms instructor of the NRA, or other nationally recognized organization that teaches firearms safety, or a firearms instructor certified by such organization;

(b) a federal, state or municipal law enforcement firearms instructor;

(c) a United States military firearms instructor;

(d) a DLE basic hunter education instructor;

(e) a firearms instructor of the MCJTC, or a firearms instructor certified by the MCJTC;

(f) a firearms instructor of a firearms manufacturer or its academy, or a firearms instructor certified by such academy; or

(g) any other person, in the discretion of the Colonel, competent to give instruction in a BFS course, which may include any person who operates a firearms safety course or program as described in G.L. c. 140, § 131P(b).
(2)Application.: An application for certification as a BFS instructor can be obtained by writing to the Department of State Police, LicensingUnit, 470 Worcester Road, Framingham, MA 01702. Upon filling out the application and submitting the application fee, as set forth in the application, and required documentation, the package can be mailed or delivered to the same address. The Colonel may require additional verifying information as deemed necessary before issuing certification. Certification or non-approval will be mailed to the applicant.

(3) Instructor Certification:Certification as a firearms safety instructor shall be valid for a period of ten years, unless sooner revoked because of unsuitability, in the discretion of the Colonel. Each BFS Instructor's Certificate shall be on a form prescribed by the Colonel and shall be designated a unique number.

(4) Certified Instructor Obligation: Instructors shall forward information regarding students who successfully complete an instructor's BFS course, on a form prescribed by the Colonel to:
The Department of State Police, Firearm Licensing Unit, 470 Worcester Road, Framingham, MA 01702

Last edited:
Any idea what they used for verification documents? I can provide a DD214 showing my extensive history in Combat Arms units in training roles. I don't think I have anything that explicitly says Firearms instructor because the only people who would have something like that are instructors at specialty schools and the Small Arms Marksmanship Unit.

Back
Top Bottom