Mass registration question

556USER

NES Member
i'm new to the forum and NES. I recently purchased a used preban (94) rifle from another Mass resident. We used the Mass online transfer portal and both entered all the required info. I was able to print out a record of the transaction. My question is does this suffice as a "registration" of my new rifle or do I need to do something else to register it?

Thanks

You're good to go. Seller's responsibility to fill that out and looks like they did.

Welcome to the forum and NES.

Don't think so,. MA doesn't have registration, though having to report transfers is sort of a registration.

Don't think so,. MA doesn't have registration, though having to report transfers is sort of a registration.
And having to report new builds, inheritances, and out of state acquisitions once they enter MA. Not true registration, but there are very few ways to legally not eFA-10 a firearm.

Thanks for the replies. I thought that having used the transfer portal and providing the serial number was indeed a sort of registration but was a bit leery of having a LEO decide that it was an "unregistered firearm" if there was another form for registration. Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies. I thought that having used the transfer portal and providing the serial number was indeed a sort of registration but was a bit leery of having a LEO decide that it was an "unregistered firearm" if there was another form for registration. Thanks again.
Yep, you're good to go!

And having to report new builds, inheritances, and out of state acquisitions once they enter MA. Not true registration, but there are very few ways to legally not eFA-10 a firearm.
Moving in from out of state is one way.

There is no such offense as possession of an unregistered firearm, however, that has not prevented at least one PD from filing such a charge.

My new rifle being a colt R6500 in original configuration I would not be shocked to have it come under scrutiny. Manufactured in 1987 so totally legal but I just wanted to make sure I was not giving anyone an excuse to seize it due to my failing to fill out some form.

My new rifle being a colt R6500 in original configuration I would not be shocked to have it come under scrutiny. Manufactured in 1987 so totally legal but I just wanted to make sure I was not giving anyone an excuse to seize it due to my failing to fill out some form.
What makes you think they need an excuse?

LOL, I realize that they need no excuse. They can take away your property and you have to spend more on lawyers to get it all back than the property is worth.

There is no such offense as possession of an unregistered firearm, however, that has not prevented at least one PD from filing such a charge.

??? How'd they do that? Make up some MGL citation? Try to claim that the victim "suspect" violated C. 140 § 128A?

How'd it end up?

??? How'd they do that? Make up some MGL citation? Try to claim that the victim "suspect" violated C. 140 § 128A?

How'd it end up?
Don't know how or if it ended.

Sometimes PDs offer misinterpretation of law as fact. I know of a case where the court granted a search warrant because the PD told the court that possession of a gun inside a car by an LTC holder violated 269-10j, which is not the case. That charge was eventually dropped, so the PD refiled as a safe storage violation.

I have never heard of anyone being charged with an S 128 a b violation ever... I think even the district attorneys get an aneurysm when they actually read it. That entire section of law is something along the lines of "Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?" It's by far the most poorly written portion of mass gun law. You would need two attorneys and probably some type of an English major as an expert witness to try to figure out what it actually means. A defense attorney would have a fun time on a closing argument with that piece of garbage.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom