Mass non-resident permit after move to NH

I live in Mass and have had my LTC-A for a number of years (~8), also a NH non-res. Started house hunting for the next place, including southern NH. Will still work and spend much time in Mass. Is it an easy thing to get a non-res LTC, unrestricted, especially given my current unrestricted status?

I live in Mass and have had my LTC-A for a number of years (~8), also a NH non-res. Started house hunting for the next place, including southern NH. Will still work and spend much time in Mass. Is it an easy thing to get a non-res LTC, unrestricted, especially given my current unrestricted status?
IIRC, you pay yearly instead of every five. And you need to go into Boston for it.
Not 100% on the last bit.

Usually if you were a resident with history of unrestricted and no issues, Michaela told me that it would weigh heavily in favor of issuance of unrestricted NR LTCs in the future.

I share the same story as the OP but my MA res LTC-A Unrestricted was for thee or four years.

Ended up applying and receiving my non-res LTC Unrestricted about a month ago.

Yes, you're going to Chelsea should you choose to apply. And yes, you have to go back on renewal.

I was informed that Unrestricted LTC receive additional scrutiny and the approval of the MA SP Colonel. PM me if you need any help.

Usually if you were a resident with history of unrestricted and no issues, Michaela told me that it would weigh heavily in favor of issuance of unrestricted NR LTCs in the future.
Len, is the State looking at changing how they handle NR-LTCs? I've avoided it for several reasons, one of them being restricted and needing to be renewed annually.

Most NRs, at least recently, are restricted to "sport and hunting". I've only met two or thee other folks with unrestricted LTCs (NRs).

I doubt they are changing it. I guess it's just MA statute - 1 year temporary LTC for N/R's, or 2 years for security guards. Just got my latest appointment set up (for this Fall) after sending in the yearly $100 fee. Been going to Chelsea every year since I got back, once a year, for the "interview". Been sending them $100 a year every year since we moved back this way. It started out at $20 a year every year in 1997, then went to $50/year shortly after. Then to $100. I still send my renewal in 6 months before expiration, every year.
ETA: You might as well put in for unrestricted. Since "restricted" is only for hunting/target ranges, it's pretty useless. Not sure if you still need a LTC for pepper spray; (NO FID for non-residents for pepper spray). Previous posts here on NES indicated they changed that law, but I haven't heard if actually went through yet.

Last edited:
OMG... $100 annual for Non Resident!!!! absolutely ridiculous.
Not really - non residents don't vote, so it's a matter of picking the revenue generating maximum on the supply/demand curve. Sort of like special hotel and car rental taxes.

OMG... $100 annual for Non Resident!!!! absolutely ridiculous.

And you get to give the Commonwealth just a little bit extra in various tolls, including the Pay By Plate mail in remittance for the Tobin Bridge leaving Chelsea.

I share the same story as the OP but my MA res LTC-A Unrestricted was for thee or four years.

Ended up applying and receiving my non-res LTC Unrestricted about a month ago.

Yes, you're going to Chelsea should you choose to apply. And yes, you have to go back on renewal.

I was informed that Unrestricted LTC receive additional scrutiny and the approval of the MA SP Colonel. PM me if you need any help.

Lol, I don't think MSP has any influence on this anymore. It's more likely some hack "upstairs" at EOPS.

You are wrong.

It is very common for non-resident LTCs to be restricted.

I just wanna point out that my roommates father got his NR unrestricted with no issue and he renewed this year. He could have been given the "work only" restriction since he is a security guard for a college (and he likely would not have pushed for unrestricted either) but he was given an unrestricted. Keep in mind he never even owned a gun (therefore never carried one in NH) until his employer decided to arm their security guards in 2013/2014.

Either new NR applicants are being treated differently now of there is special preferences given to security guards.

I just wanna point out that my roommates father got his NR unrestricted with no issue and he renewed this year. He could have been given the "work only" restriction since he is a security guard for a college (and he likely would not have pushed for unrestricted either) but he was given an unrestricted. Keep in mind he never even owned a gun (therefore never carried one in NH) until his employer decided to arm their security guards in 2013/2014.

Either new NR applicants are being treated differently now of there is special preferences given to security guards.

"Blah blah blah, private security guard for blah blah blah" probably gets better treatment on the back end on an application.

-Mike

Lol, I don't think MSP has any influence on this anymore. It's more likely some hack "upstairs" at EOPS.

When we moved out west, I let my NR LTC lapse. When I came back, it still counted as a renewal. However, before I left, the reason "for protection of life and property" was mentioned as a valid reason to write down, and worked. When I came back, I was told at my interview that the old Director had been a Federal agent and then a MSP officer, so he could "read between the lines". I was told that the new Director did not come from a LE background, and wanted specific reasons and I got the impression that he was more of a political appointee.

When we moved out west, I let my NR LTC lapse. When I came back, it still counted as a renewal. However, before I left, the reason "for protection of life and property" was mentioned as a valid reason to write down, and worked. When I came back, I was told at my interview that the old Director had been a Federal agent and then a MSP officer, so he could "read between the lines". I was told that the new Director did not come from a LE background, and wanted specific reasons and I got the impression that he was more of a political appointee.

Partially correct.

The "old" FRB Director was a retired ATF agent. Bill was never a MSP officer TTBOMK . . . if I remember I might ask him when I see him this Fall at our Constable's assn. meetings. Back in those days "protection of life and property" was commonplace even though protection of property is NOT allowed in MA. BTW, it is your local chief who interprets and decides on restrictions, not those at state level (unless you are getting a NR LTC).

The next FRB Director was Atty Jason Guida, no experience in LE. He put the clamps on NRs getting unrestricted . . . unsure if his idea or orders from above.

Following him is Michaela Dunne, neither a LEO or attorney but someone who is trying to be very helpful when she can and within the parameters of her job. NR restrictions are now less frequent than under Jason.

An expired LTC provides a LIFETIME indemnification against conviction, provided the holder has not had the license revoked for reason other than failure to file a change of address; been denied a renewal or become ineligible. So, getting the $100 NR LTC is a cheap lifetime insurance policy if you live in a neighboring state and occasionally cross the border, as it does not involve the "continuous and uninterrupted" proof of FOPA86, nor is it relegated to "affirmative defense".  And yes, I know you may have to hire an attorney to explain this to the ADA.

BTW, it is your local chief who interprets and decides on restrictions, not those at state level (unless you are getting a NR LTC).

Sort of (in the interpretation part).

The chief decides in regards to LTC revocation.

The courts would make the final decision in regards to the civil penalty for carry on a restriction. While it is possible a court might ask the chief to determine guilt, it is also possible the court would make its own decision based on the text of the restriction and possibly any written information provided to the applicant. To the best of my knowledge, there is no case as to whether the decision "did a violation of restriction occur for the purposes of the civil penalty" is to be made by the chief of a de-novo decision by the court.

This could be an interesting case if someone had a "target" restriction; was caught carrying while provably on the way to the range; and their LTC did not come from a dept like Boston that went out of its way to make it clear "target" did not include loaded concealed carry to/from. But, if someone had enough money to litigate that point, they would probably know how to get an unrestricted in Boston [smile]

Last edited:
I have a work restriction, but hoping for my unrestricted this year. Just need more 10 round mags, or find some pre ban glock mags that aren't insanely overpriced.

Rob,

You are mis-interpreting my comment on the chief interpreting and deciding on restrictions.

My comment was wrt ISSUANCE of LTCs, not defending them in court (or violation of same).

It was in response to a prior comment alleging that MSP or some higher-up in the state decides on what restrictions to put on a Resident LTC. NR decisions are made by FRB and from what I've been told by the Director, not by anyone above her (unless it is policy decisions in general pushed down on FRB).

Partially correct.

The "old" FRB Director was a retired ATF agent. Bill was never a MSP officer TTBOMK.

I know when I first applied, his title was "Lt." On my first application, I left out something, and he called and left a message to let me know what it was, and to send it in. How's that for service!

The next FRB Director was Atty Jason Guida, no experience in LE. He put the clamps on NRs getting unrestricted . . . unsure if his idea or orders from above.

And now, according to his website, he's a defender of firearms, defendants, petitioners, and applicants....

I know when I first applied, his title was "Lt." On my first application, I left out something, and he called and left a message to let me know what it was, and to send it in. How's that for service!

And now, according to his website, he's a defender of firearms, defendants, petitioners, and applicants....

Wow, I think you might be talking about Ham Perkins! He was the MSP Ballistics expert (and a real gun person) who handled licensing when MSP was at 1010 Comm Ave and did the LTCs (old paper ones). That was ages ago. I do not think it was called FRB back then.

Jason has indeed been "converted" to the light side. He's a genuine defender of the 2nd A now, unlike when he was with FRB. I think we owe Precision Point Firearms (Johnny) a huge debt of gratitude for that change over.

IIRC, you pay yearly instead of every five. And you need to go into Boston for it.
Not 100% on the last bit.

$100/year. You pay that EVERY year, remember that. And the licensing officer is in Chelsea <shiver>. Nice enough fellow, IIRC.

Jason has indeed been "converted" to the light side. He's a genuine defender of the 2nd A now, unlike when he was with FRB. I think we owe Precision Point Firearms (Johnny) a
huge debt of gratitude for that change over.

Don't forget Comm2A, too... I think the professional (but polite) serving of his own ass on a silver platter had a lot to do with it, too. [laugh]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom