• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass laws on making AKs/WASR-10s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, are WASR-10s considered “assault weapons” in Mass? Can you legally make them (with fixed stock, non threaded barrel, no bayonet lug). Thanks

Hello, are WASR-10s considered “assault weapons” in Mass? Can you legally make them (with fixed stock, non threaded barrel, no bayonet lug). Thanks
All AKs are banned in MA by name. You can’t make a post-ban compliant AK build. Only way you can own an AK in MA is if it’s preban, and if it’s preban you can have all of the enumerated features you want (collapsing stock, threaded barrel, etc.). https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section121

“‘Assault weapon’, shall have the same meaning as a semiautomatic assault weapon as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(30) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994, and shall include, but not be limited to, any of the weapons, or copies or duplicates of the weapons, of any caliber, known as: (i) Avtomat Kalashnikov (AK) (all models)”

All AKs are banned in MA by name. You can’t make a post-ban compliant AK build. Only way you can own an AK in MA is if it’s preban, and if it’s preban you can have all of the enumerated features you want (collapsing stock, threaded barrel, etc.). https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section121

“‘Assault weapon’, shall have the same meaning as a semiautomatic assault weapon as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(30) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994, and shall include, but not be limited to, any of the weapons, or copies or duplicates of the weapons, of any caliber, known as: (i) Avtomat Kalashnikov (AK) (all models)”
Ok cool thanks for the response. And what if you have a type 7 FFL, will that allow you to manufacture AKs?

Ok cool thanks for the response. And what if you have a type 7 FFL, will that allow you to manufacture AKs?
The FFL isn’t what exempts you from the AWB, it’s the state dealer license that does. The 07 FFL exempts you from the state’s ban on silencers and large capacity magazines (M.G.L. c. 269 § 10A & 10(m)). A state dealers license exempts you from the assault weapon ban (M.G.L. c. 140 § 131M).

The FFL isn’t what exempts you from the AWB, it’s the state dealer license that does. The 07 FFL exempts you from the state’s ban on silencers and large capacity magazines (M.G.L. c. 269 § 10A & 10(m)). A state dealers license exempts you from the assault weapon ban (M.G.L. c. 140 § 131M).
Interesting. So how would you get a state dealers license? Does a type 7 FFL come with one? Or is something else that is separate that you need to apply for on top of your FFL?

Interesting. So how would you get a state dealers license? Does a type 7 FFL come with one or is something else that is separate that you need to apply for on top of your FFL?
It’s a separate license that you have to apply for through the PD of the town where your FFL is located.

It’s a separate license that you have to apply for through the PD of the town where your FFL is located.
Would I still be able to apply for this if my FFL location is only zoned for manufacturing/industrial, and not retail?

Would I still be able to apply for this if my FFL location is only zoned for manufacturing/industrial, and not retail?
I’m not too familiar with the specifics of the dealer license but this is what I was able to find. The below information is from the Mass.gov website. (Information for firearms dealers):

Firearms dealer business location requirements​

Massachusetts law requires that all firearms dealers maintain a place of business that is not a residence or dwelling where they must conduct all transactions and keep all their records.
Case law further determines that the residence or dwelling be a building that is not at the same address as the residence of the dealer, and in a commercial setting.

You forgot personal transfers

you forgot something lol

"that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994."
That wasn’t what I was debating though. My original post said that the only way you can own an AK is if it’s preban. Obviously if it was made before 9/13/1994 then once can assume it was lawfully possess on the ban date and it can be acquired via personal transfer. I was referring to a post-ban AK build. Which is why I said:

“You can’t make a post-ban compliant AK build. Only way you can own an AK in MA is if it’s preban”

That wasn’t what I was debating though. My original post said that the only way you can own an AK is if it’s preban. Obviously if it was made before 9/13/1994 then once can assume it was lawfully possess on the ban date and it can be acquired via personal transfer. I was referring to a post-ban AK build. Which is why I said:

“You can’t make a post-ban compliant AK build. Only way you can own an AK in MA is if it’s preban”

Is that true of an AR-15 as well?

All AKs are banned in MA by name. You can’t make a post-ban compliant AK build.

Not true.

Post 94 nuetered AKs are perfectly legal in mass.

Unless of course you believe in maura's press conference bullshit. Those guns were sold in MA constantly right up until 7/20/16. (Some still move today too, but not quite as many because too much drama whining etc)

Not true.

Post 94 nuetered AKs are perfectly legal in mass.

Unless of course you believe in maura's press conference bullshit. Those guns were sold in MA constantly right up until 7/20/16. (Some still move today too, but not quite as many because too much drama whining etc)
Where in MGL does it say that post-ban neutered AKs are legal in MA? I’m also not talking about the 2016 enforcement notice, I’m talking about the actual MGL which I linked to in my original post.

Where in MGL does it say that post-ban neutered AKs are legal in MA? I’m also not talking about the 2016 enforcement notice, I’m talking about the actual MGL which I linked to in my original post.

It doesn’t say they’re illegal. Let’s put it this way for a long ass time. Most gun shops in mass would gladly sell you one of those guns with no problem. If you’re going to suggest they were all wrong, you have fun with that. Most people can’t read the original AWB properly.

No, only Colt AR-15s are banned in MA by name. You can only own a Colt AR if it’s preban. All other ARs are fine to possess if they’re neutered.
You can own colt A.R.’s in mass no problem as well. Hell Colt used to make neutered ones during the ban to fulfill the federal awb requirements, and the mass ban is an exact duplicate of the federal one……. you really need to do some more research before posting about the law dude.

It doesn’t say they’re illegal. Let’s put it this way for a long ass time. Most gun shops in mass would gladly sell you one of those guns with no problem. If you’re going to suggest they were all wrong, you have fun with that. Most people can’t read the original AWB properly.
The MA AWB is an almost verbatim copy of that AWB, not an exact copy. There’s one small but important difference between the two. The Federal AWB says, “Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (AKs) (all models).” The MA AWB just says, “Avtomat Kalashnikov (AK) (all models).”

This difference means that you can’t make a post-ban evil feature compliant AK in MA, but back in the day during the old federal AWB that was fine as long as it wasn’t a Norinco, Mitchell or Poly Tech.

No, only Colt AR-15s are banned in MA by name. You can only own a Colt AR if it’s preban. All other ARs are fine to possess if they’re neutered.
Dude. Do you have any idea how many new AWB compliant ARs/AKs have been sold by MA dealers since 1994? A LOT.
It died down a little bit after the 2016 bullshit but some dealers were/are still selling them.

A personal transfer wouldn’t change the fact that possession of an assault weapon is still illegal. Doesn’t matter how you came into possession of it. https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131M

“No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon…”
A personal transfer wouldn’t change the fact that possession of an assault weapon is still illegal. Doesn’t matter how you came into possession of it. https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131M

“No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon…”
You said the only way to own an AK in Massachusetts is by having it be a pre-ban, that’s not the only way. You can do a personal transfer of a compliant rifle.

@Joeldiaz , idle curiosity.

Are you a lawyer? Or do you work in law enforcement?

I think you're defining all AR's or AK's as Assault Weapons. There is a legal definition in the AWB.

While the AWB was federal law one could buy as many AR-15's and AK-47's as you wished. They just had to comply with the features ban, including things like a bayonet lug, flash hider, folding/telescoping stock and more. An AR/AK without those features was not considered an assault weapon... by law.

They were sold by the most careful of FFL's in MA. There was no ban on compliant rifles.

You can own colt A.R.’s in mass no problem as well. Hell Colt used to make neutered ones during the ban to fulfill the federal awb requirements, and the mass ban is an exact duplicate of the federal one……. you really need to do some more research before posting about the law dude.
Facts, as long as its Mass compliant with its features, they cannot be classified as assault weapons. Thanks for clearing this up dude, had a feeling that other guy’s interpretation of the law regarding the AWB was incorrect

Ok, so if I apply for just the gunsmithing section on the state dealers license application, this would still make one exempt?

Like if someone were to just check the second option here for license application type

Attachments

• E285A15E-4290-46A8-BC6B-11588293CB69.jpeg
    E285A15E-4290-46A8-BC6B-11588293CB69.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom