Mass Law on Mag repairs

Can I replace a pre-ban mag tube with a new mag tube marked 2004? Under federal law it was ok and now doesn't make any difference, but Mass law is ambiguous at best.

I have a Para Ord Standard Capacity 16 rd mag that is damaged (split on a seam when I stepped on it) and the only tubes available from Para are new tubes. I read the MGL and it does not say that I can do this, but it doesn't say that I cannot either. I know I can replace everything else in the mag, but this might get me in trouble. Just wanted to pose this question to the masses.

Dennis

Well, from what I've read, MGL NEVER says what you CAN do, just what you can't.

Replacing a part of the magazine is just that, and IMO is well within your rights.

Now, you say it's "stamped". How so? Is the actual metal stamped? or just the packing? It's not stamped with "LEO ONLY" is it? Is it a date?

Personaly, what I'de do, is go ahead and replace it, but KEEP the dammaged tube as evidence that you had a 100% pre-ban, and had to repair it. While the tube is the most massive part of the mag, it's not the whole thing, its just one part of at least a 4 part system, probably 5. The law gives specifics about the entire assembely as a whole, not just one component. Therefore it'de be like, IMO, replacing the slide of a post-ban low-cap handgun (Class-B license gun). It's a major component, but doesnt modify the origional capacity of the assembely.

That is pending only on the fact that the "stamp" you speak of is a date, not LEO. If getting a LEO tube was my only option, I'de cut my losses and discard the damaged magazine.

Mag tube markings

The tube for the preban just says "Made in Canada" the new tube says "Made in Canada 04" and the print is much larger than with the original pre-ban. I am not comfortable with using this tube as it can be considered an illegal mag, if assembled, until I prove different; which might cost me more than if I just dispose of it.

As has been said before "I HATE MASSACHUSETTS"!

Re: Mag tube markings

alsipd said:
The tube for the preban just says "Made in Canada" the new tube says "Made in Canada 04" and the print is much larger than with the original pre-ban. I am not comfortable with using this tube as it can be considered an illegal mag, if assembled, until I prove different; which might cost me more than if I just dispose of it.

As has been said before "I HATE MASSACHUSETTS"!

Assemble it, and find someone out of state with a pre-ban identlcal mag to trade with, and offer to pay the shipping both ways.

There's a cheap easy solution.
You get a definate-pre-ban, and someone else gets a refurb-like mag!

Check an online forum or something for Para owners or whatever...

Back
Top Bottom