• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass guys with LTC's... do you carry .45 or 9mm?

in MA in the past year? nobody would even notice. Most people are too busy walking around masked in a zombie state
to notice unless your level of concealment was full blown 0 all the time.... lol

380 is better than given credit for but most decent 9mm ammo performs much better than that. Less barrier failures etc too.
Yeah I agree, but it would be just my dumb luck some Karen would notice.

My wife and daughters all carry the SIG P238, I wouldn't want to get shot with it.
I've heard it referred to as a "small 9mm".

Like you, I thought of the .380, as a repair your boyfriends high heels caliber, until I saw the Lucky Gunner Labs, gel test results, of the Hornady, 90 gr., Critical Defense , .380 round. This .380 round consistanlt penetrates 13.2 inches and expands to .52 . Most 9mm carry ammo, can't match these results. Now when I wear shorts and a t shirt, I feel good about my Colt, .Gov .380 in certain carry situations.

Yeah buttttt..... who is shooting gel?
In January, if you were to shoot me in the chest, it would have to go through a Carhart, hoodie, flannel, a thermal and a t-shirt, THEN... 4" of rock hard pectoral muscle, before it even got to my chest bone! Carhart is practically kevlar. LOL

Ok Ok, 3" of moderately solid pectoral muscle.

In January, if you were to shoot me in the chest, it would have to go through a Carhart, hoodie, flannel, a thermal and a t-shirt, THEN... 4" of rock hard pectoral muscle, before it even got to my chest bone! Carhart is practically kevlar. LOL

That's why we carry bigger guns in the winter. It's not because it's easier to conceal. It's because everyone else is wearing too much crap.

I've been literally riding off a stash of RA45T that I got many years ago. Shit is like unicorn tears now.

Hornady Critical Duty 220 would be my go to if I didnt have the RA45T around. I bought a bunch of that as a contingency.

"Ammo the G30 likes" etc.
Yep, want it for my G30 and G21. The former currently had Golden Sabers and the latter has HST - different literally just because of the quantities I've been able to find.

I don't think magazine capacity is quite as important as everyone thinks it is. Magazine swaps can be accomplished fairly swiftly, if you train for it. You do carry a spare magazine or two, correct???
How often do people work on magazine exchanges under stress, with what they carry, where they carry it?

We did a speed assessment, reload drills, you staying at the academy depends on doing well. The 6 second goes smoothly, the 4.5 second stage normally looks like a monkey humping a football. It's not like the 4.5 second stage is 'that' much harder, it's the stress of knowing you don't have time to mess up that causes the problems for most.

9mm ammunition has come a long was since the 90's. Advances in technology and manufacturing have narrowed the performance gap between 9mm, 40 and 45 considerably.
I just want to double down on the first part of this. Bonded tip hollowpoints have come a long way in how much they can stay together when they need to and expand when you want them to.

As for high heels? Who am I to judge?

in MA in the past year? nobody would even notice. Most people are too busy walking around masked in a zombie state
to notice unless your level of concealment was full blown 0 all the time.... lol
I can't even tell you how many times I have walked back to my truck to pump gas at Cumby's and noticed that my shirt has ridden up, completely exposing the butt of my EDC. Nobody notices, or nobody cares. If you live outside of 128 or not in a big dump city, the one in a thousand person who notices, probably doesn't give a shit.

I figure I am snagging my tshirt when releasing my seatbelt. Walking into Cumby's, making a coffee, standing in line...
How often do people work on magazine exchanges under stress, with what they carry, where they carry it?
I'm gonna go with, just about never.
Sure, I like to practice my John Wick super slick combat reloads when no one is around (almost never), but I sure as hell don't do 25 squat thrusts before I practice.
Could you imagine being at the range and the guy in the next lane steps back, cranks out some jumping jacks, rushes to the line, mag dumps, reloads, dumps a second mag? Then does it again?
That is how one gets his membership revoked. :)

Last edited:
I can't even tell you how many times I have walked back to my truck to pump gas at Cumby's and noticed that my shirt has ridden up, completely exposing the butt of my EDC. Nobody notices, or nobody cares. If you live outside of 128 or not in a big dump city, the one in a thousand person who notices, probably doesn't give a shit.

I figure I am snagging my tshirt when releasing my seatbelt. Walking into Cumby's, making a

Sure, I like to practice my John Wick super slick combat reloads when no one is around (almost never), but I sure as hell don't do 25 squat thrusts before I practice.
Could you imagine being at the range and the guy in the next lane steps back, cranks out some jumping jacks, rushes to the line, mag dumps, reloads, dumps a second mag? Then does it again?
Load 2 rounds...*hint*

I just want to double down on the first part of this. Bonded tip hollowpoints have come a long way in how much they can stay together when they need to and expand when you want them to.

As for high heels? Who am I to judge?
Whatever technology improved the 9mm, also improved the .45ACP. I feel perfectly comfortable with 9mm for self defense but let's not pretend that it's equal to the .45 in terms of bullet performance (again, there are a lot of factors that favor the 9mm - I'm just talking about ultimate effectiveness of the bullet here).

3.80 is better than given credit for but most decent 9mm ammo performs much better than that. Less barrier failures etc too.
Lol. You 9mm Winchester Ranger T lover you.

Lol. In January, if I shot you, it would be with 1911 Jarhead. you know that. Lol.

380 is better than given credit for but most decent 9mm ammo performs much better than that. Less barrier failures etc too.
No one notices, maybe they don't care anymore. I usually carry a rock island 1911 on my belt when I'm working on the farm. I can't count how many times I've driven the old lady to market basket this past year or so, then after about five minutes walking around the store, realize I forgot to cover it up.

in response to @fencer and his .380 comment, I have always avoided .380 due to a perceived lack of penetration/lethality

But if 9mm has improved we have to assume that .380 has too.
in response to @fencer and his .380 comment, I have always avoided .380 due to a perceived lack of penetration/lethality

But if 9mm has improved we have to assume that .380 has too.

But I'm still not buying, 9mm ammo is widely available and in more grain sizes, +p, etc.

The funny thing is, in the south and southwest, where you do not have to factor in heavy winter clothing, jackets, sweaters, etc .380 seems to be the gun of choice.
Unfortunately it hasn’t really. Pretty sure hydra shok deep is the only .380 that currently passes the fbi standards for penetration.

Topic came up in a discussion about the .45 becoming obsolete over time and someone floated their theory that if a federal AWB happens again or mags over 10 rds get banned that people are going to abandon 9mm and go to .45's again like in the 90s. I don't think that's going to happen, but for you people who have had an AWB the past 27 years what are you guys still carrying like it's the 90s with the .45 or are you 9mm 4 Life?

For carry I’m ok with 10 round single stacks like my G43X since I don’t want to carry anything bigger. For the home I find the mag limit very annoying.

No one notices, maybe they don't care anymore. I usually carry a rock island 1911 on my belt when I'm working on the farm. I can't count how many times I've driven the old lady to market basket this past year or so, then after about five minutes walking around the store, realize I forgot to cover it up.

I just put a mask on it and open carry.

you sound like Paul Harrell's meat target

9mm! Why?? Because MORE

lmfao-lil-jon.gif

9mm.

If the ban comes for my mags I'm getting a desert eagle in .50ae.

One shot get er done, if not diseorient em with the blast and plug another in the middle.

Last edited:
Winter...G19 and maybe P365
Summer, G19 and maybe P365
Deep Conceal, P365
On my land and often in NH, G21 and P365
I can't shoot my BG380's for shit. Shitty MA trigger, short barrel, chippy. It's like a 20 foot gun for me, so I don't carry it

F*cks given at this point about printing...none. Literally zero.

I figure I am snagging my tshirt when releasing my seatbelt. Walking into Cumby's, making a coffee, standing in line...

That why I invested in some Carhart extra long t-shirts

Whatever technology improved the 9mm, also improved the .45ACP. I feel perfectly comfortable with 9mm for self defense but let's not pretend that it's equal to the .45 in terms of bullet performance (again, there are a lot of factors that favor the 9mm - I'm just talking about ultimate effectiveness of the bullet here).
I have not seen bonded tip 45, but then again, I really don't shop 45. Or 40 for that matter. I only know about it because Speer makes the duty ammo we switched to. It was an odd looking bullet, but 'the they' said it did a lot of things on impact.

Back
Top Bottom