• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass guys with LTC's... do you carry .45 or 9mm?

Bodyguard .380 Alabama pocket holster when at work or in shorts, depending on my mood/wardrobe either G43 or G26 G Code IWB Blue Alpha belt the rest of the time

usually 9mm because pocket carry is more convenient. I've been eyeing a pocket size .45 like the XDE. Cannot bring myself to get the
shield in 45 though, as I didn't really like the shield in 9mm

Glock 21 45 ACP all day year round.
Although, I'm in NH most every weekend, I've been mixing it up as of late.
I've been wearing my S&W 627 at my 9:00 and my S&W 19 Snubbie at my 6:00.
Both .357 Mag. That 627 sticks out from under my shirt sometimes like a prehensile tail.
In Mass some one would scream, but in NH it doesn't matter.

Both .357 Mag. That 627 sticks out from under my shirt sometimes like a prehensile tail.
Are you a lefty or crossdraw? Isn't 6 o'clock a NoNo?

usually 9mm because pocket carry is more convenient. I've been eyeing a pocket size .45 like the XDE. Cannot bring myself to get the
shield in 45 though, as I didn't really like the shield in 9mm

the shield 9 never fit my hand correctly but the 45 felt and Shot amazing. I have zero use for anything 45acp but I can’t bring myself to sell the shield 45. The XDS and XDE in 45 are also excellent pistols. I own both but in 9mm.

Mainly 9mm
then 45
Also carry some smaller ones here and there with 22LR and 32 ACP

And I doubt 45 is ever going to die off. It feeds the majority of 1911s!

Are you a lefty or crossdraw? Isn't 6 o'clock a NoNo?
Lefty, and I've tried cross draw, it's not for me. When I'm in NH, I forego my .32 ACP Seecamp on my left ankle and wear that S&W 19 in the small of my back instead.
It's in a lefty holster so I can grab it with my right hand.

Waiting on my MA LTC but carried legally for years in Oregon and Missouri.

Always a 9mm for me. Took some tactical classes and just about always put 9mm rounds where I wanted them, more than with 45’s. Even under pressure.

As already mentioned, with all of the good defensive bullet choices available now, it’s probably more personal preference. I had over 10 handguns at one point, but it almost always seemed that my G19 was the one that found its way into my waistband. My 45’s all seemed like big, uncomfortable bricks in comparison.

The one exception was salmon fishing in Oregon bear country. Then I open carried a Colt Python in a normal holster. Having said that, I had more issues with nutty locals who thought they owned every good salmon hole in the river than I ever did with bears. The open carry was as much a message to them as it was for the bears lol.

I carry anything from .380 and up, just depends on my plans for the day. I'm usually rocking a g19 or p365. If I'm out in the woods I'll usually grab my G29 or a 1911.

Thinking about the OP some more... There's a lot more to the 9mm vs .45 decision than mag capacity. Bullet performance, recoil, ammo cost, weight, etc all play a role.

I figure in most cases where you put a pill into someone it's going to ruin their day no matter what size. I like my little sp101 .38 during the summer.

This isn't a caliber war debate, I don't care if you're carrying .40 or .38 or .380, it's simply if you have LTC would you rather it be 9mm or .45?

My opinion is if a federal magazine capacity ban or AWB comes down people are not going to suddenly abandon their 9mm's for .45
No, I wouldn't. Those of us that says it depends on clothing are talking about size and weight. My home defense .45 has a ten round mag in it, which makes it heavier and harder to conceal. My 9mm is smaller, lighter and much easier to conceal, even in a t-shirt.

But since we're talking about bans, how many people are making sure they have revolvers? Get some and grab a lever action or a bolt action rifle and you might survive the bans.

This isn't a caliber war debate, I don't care if you're carrying .40 or .38 or .380, it's simply if you have LTC would you rather it be 9mm or .45?

My opinion is if a federal magazine capacity ban or AWB comes down people are not going to suddenly abandon their 9mm's for .45

OP says he doesn't care about calibers we carry, and then asks which calibers we care to carry???

😐

For the record.....
12 gauge 00 buck...

Why carry a 9 mm pistol with 10 or less rounds in the magazine, when one round of 00 is the equivalent of getting shot by a 9 mm nine times!

I do have a minor problem with printing though, but the exchange seems worth it I think...

Topic came up in a discussion about the .45 becoming obsolete over time and someone floated their theory that if a federal AWB happens again or mags over 10 rds get banned that people are going to abandon 9mm and go to .45's again like in the 90s. I don't think that's going to happen, but for you people who have had an AWB the past 27 years what are you guys still carrying like it's the 90s with the .45 or are you 9mm 4 Life?
Whoever said that is probably a 300lbs commando sitting in his mom basement. Some people really are stupid and need to get off the computer and go get some fresh air.

People in MA have been carrying 9mm with a 10 round capacity for decades. Some guns could barely hold 10 rounds, even in a free state. Think a Kahr PM9 or a PPS M1. And people still bought them.

Also, most people can't shoot worth sh*t, let alone shoot a .45 and statistically there is very little difference between a 9mm and a .45.

This topic has been beat to death in 100 other threads already.

Thinking about the OP some more... There's a lot more to the 9mm vs .45 decision than mag capacity. Bullet performance, recoil, ammo cost, weight, etc all play a role.
Not very significant.

I would say recoil and ammo cost are the only two that matter.

Cost - because people won't practice a lot with expensive ammo.

Recoil - because it is a lot harder to master a small weapon with heavier recoil.

Performance - not that big of a difference to matter in a self defense situation - not the NES FAP fantasy self defense where you are shooting through cars and buildings, doing tactical rolls, using at least 250 rounds and saving the world.

9mm ammunition has come a long was since the 90's. Advances in technology and manufacturing have narrowed the performance gap between 9mm, 40 and 45 considerably.
My daily carry is a 9mm but that is primarily based on the ergonomics of the gun. It's easy to carry and pretty accurate. When I can dress for it, or when I have to go someplace I feel is a "soft target", ( like a movie theater or church ), I like to carry a 1911 in 45. Mostly because at 150-200 feet I am confident that if I can see it, I can hit it.
Calibers are like hammers. You own several different types.
45 is like a 16oz framing hammer. Good for driving big nails into framing lumber. No one cares if it leaves a hammer mark.
9mm is like a 12oz roofing/siding hammer. An all around hammer and if you are worried about finish work you use a nail set with it.
357 is a small sledge hammer. 44 is a 16 pound sledge
380 is like a tack hammer. It's good for repairing your boyfriends high heels.
Like you, I thought of the .380, as a repair your boyfriends high heels caliber, until I saw the Lucky Gunner Labs, gel test results, of the Hornady, 90 gr., Critical Defense , .380 round. This .380 round consistantly penetrates 13.2 inches and expands to .52 . Most 9mm carry ammo, can't match these results. Now when I wear shorts and a t shirt, I feel good about my Colt, .Gov .380 in certain carry situations.

Last edited:
Topic came up in a discussion about the .45 becoming obsolete over time and someone floated their theory that if a federal AWB happens again or mags over 10 rds get banned that people are going to abandon 9mm and go to .45's again like in the 90s. I don't think that's going to happen, but for you people who have had an AWB the past 27 years what are you guys still carrying like it's the 90s with the .45 or are you 9mm 4 Life?
I carry a .45acp because Winchester Ranger T, .45acp ammo consistantly penetrates 14.2" and expands to 1.00" in gel test results. Nothing obsolete about that.

in MA in the past year? nobody would even notice. Most people are too busy walking around masked in a zombie state
to notice unless your level of concealment was full blown 0 all the time.... lol

Like you, I thought of the .380, as a repair your boyfriends high heels caliber, until I saw the Lucky Gunner Labs, gel test results, of the Hornady, 90 gr., Critical Defense , .380 round. This .380 round consistanlt penetrates 13.2 inches and expands to .52 . Most 9mm carry ammo, can't match these results. Now when I wear shorts and a t shirt, I feel good about my Colt, .Gov .380 in certain carry situations.

380 is better than given credit for but most decent 9mm ammo performs much better than that. Less barrier failures etc too.

Back
Top Bottom