Mass. Deer totals reach new record

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Massachusetts is becoming a destination state when you talk about deer hunting. The reason is hunters bagged more deer here, a record in fact, than our neighbor to the north, New Hampshire.

Biologists have been working on various regions of the state to build up the deer population. Now a new state record has fallen with 12,493 deer harvested during the fall seasons. These seasons include 109 deer taken during the youth hunt, four during the paraplegic hunt, the shotgun season netted 4,766, primitive firearms season 2,519 and the big score was the archery season that saw 5,095 whitetails taken home.

The reason for the record harvest was very favorable conditions in all the districts. Snow on the ground was a help for tracking, a great mast crop, healthy deer and hunter effort all were contributors.

The bear season ended with the second-best total on record. There were 268 bruins taken statewide.

A couple of interesting bears with tracking collars took a hike this fall to elude hunters' bullets. One such bear was tagged in West Brookfield and was last seen in Keene, N.H. Yet another was tagged in New Salem and was last seen in Brattleboro, Vt., and both were females with cubs. I don't think they liked having their new necklaces.

Today is the last day for the Sportsmen's Show at the Holiday Inn in Boxborough on Route 111. The show ends at 5 p.m.

This past week the Senate passed a pair of bills that needed changing.

One is for poaching. The fine was for a maximum of $1,000 per incident and will now change to $5,000 per incident. This was long overdue, last updated in 1939.
The Senate also passed a bow-hunting law allowing all hunters in the Commonwealth to use a crossbow. Currently only hunters with a disability and a letter from their doctor can apply for a crossbow permit.

Bill Biswanger's email is [email protected]

Read more: Mass. deer totals reach new record

Sent from my iPad

I had a feeling that record would be broken this year. It was an amazing season. We had 100% success rate with the group I hunt with first time we all tagged. Seemed zone 9 was loaded with healthy deer and the weather was fantastic. Congrats to all the Massachusetts deer hunters well done.

I tend to agree with mass not being a "destination" state for hunters coming in. Yes the population is strong.....but it's a struggle to find good land to hunt due to the layout of housing density and the anti hunting sentiment that resounds here. Hunters that grew up here know where to go.....and it's a pretty tight lipped community on where the good ground is. I can't imagine an out of stater chosing to travel to mass to hunt. It's just too hard to find land.

My bil goes to the Berkshires every year for shotgun season. Never gets a thing.
It's zones 9-14 that have the heavy populations. Trick is finding huntable land in the east. I'm fortunate enough to have access to military property with my mil identification.

It's zones 9-14 that have the heavy populations. Trick is finding huntable land in the east. I'm fortunate enough to have access to military property with my mil identification.

His buddy has some kind of a cabin out that way so they go there. I have no idea what zones are where...but yeah, if you don't know the area and where you can hunt or not it probably won't do much good in going.

His buddy has some kind of a cabin out that way so they go there. I have no idea what zones are where...but yeah, if you don't know the area and where you can hunt or not it probably won't do much good in going.
If it's Berkshires it's definitely not zones 9-14. If he's got a cabin and an annual tradition of going out there he probably goes just for the trip and the relaxation .My uncle is the same way in Arkansas. Goes to deer camp every year and ain't shot a deer in over 20 years. It's all good.

I guess these are the zones......

7dfba5c3d0f05674d0d454a3af25d311.jpg

I tend to agree with mass not being a "destination" state for hunters coming in. Yes the population is strong.....but it's a struggle to find good land to hunt due to the layout of housing density and the anti hunting sentiment that resounds here. Hunters that grew up here know where to go.....and it's a pretty tight lipped community on where the good ground is. I can't imagine an out of stater chosing to travel to mass to hunt. It's just too hard to find land.

Pretty much sums it up!

I guess these are the zones......

7dfba5c3d0f05674d0d454a3af25d311.jpg
Yesir! The majority of the antlerless tags are issued in 9-14 because the population is above the management plan in the east. In fact zone 10 only half of the authorized antlerless tags were purchased! Nantucket and Martha's vineyard is basically pay as you go on antlerless deer.......if you use your antlerless tag just buy another one because there are 50 deer per square mile out there on the islands and the plan is 10! Zones 9 and 10 are at about 18-20 deer per square mile depending on what document you read but f and g plan is 10.

My gut feeling is that 2 mild winters in a row got the population up a little more.....and great weather during the season (a little snow to help funnel the deer to feeding areas and help hunters track them) equated to a record harvest. The snow definitely helped my hunting group.....we KNEW where the deer were! Amazing that more deer were taken by bow than shotgun two years in a row now.

Rumor has it that F&W wants to start the bow season two weeks earlier in Zones 10 - 14.
that's a great idea. They have 6 weeks now......but I bet if you if you give the bow hunters 8 weeks they are still gonna piss and moan when the shotgun guys show up the Monday after Thanksgiving.[popcorn]

MA a Deer hunting Destination State? Not even close

Exactly.

Last couple winters were relatively mild in the east and also boomer acorn/fruit crops which probably lead to a good fawn crop. Historical fluctuations between 8000 to close to 12000 deer per year. Even with the record of 12,400 whatever thats a whopping harvest of 1.5 deer per square mile for all seasons. Whoo Hoo, and that's a record year. I have no idea what people get all hyped up for in this state, the rate of harvest here is abysmal, as is the population average of 10 (MA FW estimate, probably high) deer per square mile. Most other states west and south of us have 20-30 deer per square mile, some parts have 50-60..... Sure there are deer in the east, in pockets.

Where PA the harvest for all season per square mile is 7.5 deer per square mile. Seven times what it is in MA. I'm sure other midwest and southern states are very similar if not better. When I was down in South Carolina in October, I stopped at a sporting goods store that was a check station/butcher and they were bringing in deer like it was opening day of shotgun in MA. People were barely even hunting yet because it wasn't even November!

In the east being a successful hunter has a lot to do with access to hunting land. Little blocks of land of urban deer mean they are relatively easy to get if you can get on the land. I'm not knocking it, urban bowhunting CT is exactly that way, and I've been doing it for years and killed lots of big bucks, but my success had a lot to do with just being able to be where I was, and doing the right things with that permission.

In Central/West being a successful hunter means spending gobs of time scouting, finding sign, then hoping the deer aren't noctournal and a bunch of time hunting because the deer population is low.

Exactly.

Last couple winters were relatively mild in the east and also boomer acorn/fruit crops which probably lead to a good fawn crop. Historical fluctuations between 8000 to close to 12000 deer per year. Even with the record of 12,400 whatever thats a whopping harvest of 1.5 deer per square mile for all seasons. Whoo Hoo, and that's a record year. I have no idea what people get all hyped up for in this state, the rate of harvest here is abysmal, as is the population average of 10 (MA FW estimate, probably high) deer per square mile. Most other states west and south of us have 20-30 deer per square mile, some parts have 50-60..... Sure there are deer in the east, in pockets.

Where PA the harvest for all season per square mile is 7.5 deer per square mile. Seven times what it is in MA. I'm sure other midwest and southern states are very similar if not better. When I was down in South Carolina in October, I stopped at a sporting goods store that was a check station/butcher and they were bringing in deer like it was opening day of shotgun in MA. People were barely even hunting yet because it wasn't even November!

In the east being a successful hunter has a lot to do with access to hunting land. Little blocks of land of urban deer mean they are relatively easy to get if you can get on the land. I'm not knocking it, urban bowhunting CT is exactly that way, and I've been doing it for years and killed lots of big bucks, but my success had a lot to do with just being able to be where I was, and doing the right things with that permission.

In Central/West being a successful hunter means spending gobs of time scouting, finding sign, then hoping the deer aren't noctournal and a bunch of time hunting because the deer population is low.

Where are you hearing 10 per square mile throughout mass?
The articles I have read says the PLAN is 10 deer per square mile in mass but that currently zones 9-11 have 18-20 per square mile and 12-14 have 50 per square mile. That's alot of deer on the east part of mass. Zones 1-8 the population is at plan and is reflected in the number of authorized antlerless tags .

Additionally you claim pa harvests 7.5 deer per square mile and mass harvests 1.5 per square mile . I just looked and pa had 984,000 licensed hunters in 2017 and mass had 57,000. Simple math tells me more hunters per square mile more deer harvested per square mile .Your not comparing apples to apples .

Last edited:
I'm a total newb, why so many more in archery season? Is it longer or easier to get deer? Or just more popular?

It was good year on Nantucket. Group of 15, went down to 13 second day in due to some having to leave, netted 27 dear. This was a tie for the record for the group. I maybe could have broken it if my shotgun didn't jam as a deer ran by at 10 yards. Two days later it was fixed, thanks to Vinci for sending a new extended tube. Then I took my first running at 20 yds, the second was taken at 75 yards running. (2 shots nailed the chest) Both were taken with Buckshot, as we do not allow slugs when driving deer.

It was good year on Nantucket. Group of 15, went down to 13 second day in due to some having to leave, netted 27 dear. This was a tie for the record for the group. I maybe could have broken it if my shotgun didn't jam as a deer ran by at 10 yards. Two days later it was fixed, thanks to Vinci for sending a new extended tube. Then I took my first running at 20 yds, the second was taken at 75 yards running. (2 shots nailed the chest) Both were taken with Buckshot, as we do not allow slugs when driving deer.
Military bases i hunt are the opposite. Slugs only when driving deer.

Out of curiosity......why buckshot only on deer drives? I prefer a single projectile for safety reasons vs 18 or 21 30 cal balls.

Last edited:
Where are you hearing 10 per square mile throughout mass?
The articles I have read says the PLAN is 10 deer per square mile in mass but that currently zones 9-11 have 18-20 per square mile and 12-14 have 50 per square mile. That's alot of deer on the east part of mass. Zones 1-8 the population is at plan and is reflected in the number of authorized antlerless tags .

Additionally you claim pa harvests 7.5 deer per square mile and mass harvests 1.5 per square mile . I just looked and pa had 984,000 licensed hunters in 2017 and mass had 57,000. Simple math tells me more hunters per square mile more deer harvested per square mile .Your not comparing apples to apples .

You are absolutely correct that some parts of MA are overpopulated and some parts are not, but they are not managing correctly in the west, still too many doe permits for all the season additions and tag trading. 10 deer per square mile is not a good population, its way on the low end. We should be managing high end out here. Plenty of room to hunt, no issues. We should be managing for 20-30 out in Central West. Like most good states have. We manage for insurance companies so they don't have to pay bills. Not for hunters.

Kill all the deer you want in the east, they have sanctuaries where people can't hunt, and you'll never get the population down with all the anti a**h***s and closed towns. However, I really doubt there is 50 per square in any part of MA. I've hunted CT, where it's 40-50, and i drive around parts of eastern MA and don't see anywhere near the deer I see in southern CT. Maybe on the islands but that's a separate situation.

You are also correct on hunter opportunity has to be taken into account. But harvests per square mile is one indicator of a population density. Not all hunters shoot the first deer they see like they tend to do in MA, especially in states with high populations and antler restrictions. They may look over 20 deer before they can or will take a shot.

Military bases i hunt are the opposite. Slugs only when driving deer.

Out of curiosity......why buckshot only on deer drives? I prefer a single projectile for safety reasons vs 18 or 21 30 cal balls.

Nantucket is either golf course, or thick ass scrub brush like you never want to crawl thru again. No tree is bigger than 8 feet tall. Guys drive around with ladders in the back of their trucks and just lean it against the tallest brush theycan find. On a running deer, I'd imagine a slug would be pretty ineffective hitting all that brush.

Possibly due to people getting permission to hunt in more suburban area's

Archery hunting backyards on the edge of conservation land in the east will bump the kill considerably. As will crossbow hunting. Guys would miss or wound before, now not so much with those things. Plus a cross bow extends distance a bit.

Nantucket is either golf course, or thick ass scrub brush like you never want to crawl thru again. No tree is bigger than 8 feet tall. Guys drive around with ladders in the back of their trucks and just lean it against the tallest brush theycan find. On a running deer, I'd imagine a slug would be pretty ineffective hitting all that brush.
Answers my question I guess. You must drive deer differently than my crew .Never had to shoot a running deer......they are just walking slow and steady when we get em moving. But yeah if your planning on running deer.....buckshot of course .

Last edited:
You are absolutely correct that some parts of MA are overpopulated and some parts are not, but they are not managing correctly in the west, still too many doe permits for all the season additions and tag trading. 10 deer per square mile is not a good population, its way on the low end. We should be managing high end out here. Plenty of room to hunt, no issues. We should be managing for 20-30 out in Central West. Like most good states have. We manage for insurance companies so they don't have to pay bills. Not for hunters.

Kill all the deer you want in the east, they have sanctuaries where people can't hunt, and you'll never get the population down with all the anti a**h***s and closed towns. However, I really doubt there is 50 per square in any part of MA. I've hunted CT, where it's 40-50, and i drive around parts of eastern MA and don't see anywhere near the deer I see in southern CT. Maybe on the islands but that's a separate situation.

You are also correct on hunter opportunity has to be taken into account. But harvests per square mile is one indicator of a population density. Not all hunters shoot the first deer they see like they tend to do in MA, especially in states with high populations and antler restrictions. They may look over 20 deer before they can or will take a shot.
If you re read my post.....I clearly say 50 deer per square Mile is zones 12-14.....which is the cape and the islands .

My bad....I just checked my stock in the safe....for 00buck (roughly 30 caliber balls) 3 inch shells hold 15 pellets and 3 1/2 inch shells hold 18 pellets....not 18 and 21.

Last edited:
If you re read my post.....I clearly say 50 deer per square Mile is zones 12-14.....which is the cape and the islands .

True...sorry missed that. I agree they are loaded out there. But again, most of it is the liberals not wanting people to hunt.....

Though, one of my buddies did the February hunt a few years back, where they made you buy 5 doe permits and said there would be lots of land open to hunt, not so much.....they killed one doe in a week. Cost them a fortune in tags, place to stay, bringing the truck over. He said he crawled thru some of the nastiest ass crap he's ever seen trying to push for his buddy.
He said never again....

True...sorry missed that. I agree they are loaded out there. But again, most of it is the liberals not wanting people to hunt.....

Though, one of my buddies did the February hunt a few years back, where they made you buy 5 doe permits and said there would be lots of land open to hunt, not so much.....they killed one doe in a week. Cost them a fortune in tags, place to stay, bringing the truck over. He said he crawled thru some of the nastiest ass crap he's ever seen trying to push for his buddy.
He said never again....
My buddies and I contemplated a trip to one of the islands....but we were having good success in zone 9 and never went .Would be a shame to pay all that money and not find any land to hunt.

Back
Top Bottom