• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Martial Law in Springfield??

kiver

NES Member
http://www.masslive.com/news/index....gory=Crime&category=Springfield&category=Talk

Increased police presence pledged for Springfield

By PATRICK JOHNSON
[email protected]

SPRINGFIELD - Frances Rauls usually walks from her apartment on State Street to her job at Mason Square.

"Today I took my car," she said. "It's dangerous now."

Rauls works in the State Street office of state Rep. Benjamin Swan, directly across the street from where a 21-year-old man was gunned down in an explosion of gunfire Saturday afternoon.

She said crime has always been a fact of life in the city, but since Saturday it seems closer than ever before.

"It's like in your back yard," she said.

The shooting death of Jerry A. Hughes, the city's 13th homicide of 2009, sent shock waves throughout Mason Square, the area comprised of the meeting of State Street, Wilbraham Road, Eastern Avenue and Catherine Street. City leaders responded.

Police Commissioner William J. Fitchet and Mayor Domenic J. Sarno, in a press conference Monday afternoon at police headquarters, said there will be additional patrols by officers on foot and in cruisers all hours of the day.

The move is necessary "to quell the violence and to assure the public that peace will be restored to this area," Fitchet said.

"These are incidents that cannot be tolerated in the city of Springfield," Sarno said. "There's no quit here."

He promised law enforcement would bring "the full brunt of force" against violent criminals, but to do that would need cooperation from neighborhood residents.

Swan said more may be needed, and suggested police be allowed to operate under what he called "a short period of martial law." The move, over a period of 30 to 60 days, would give police the power to sweep all the illegal guns in the city.

"No one I know has gotten shot with a legal gun," he said.

Swan made the same suggestion in 2003 and was roundly criticized. He said Monday he expects to be criticized again.

"I don't know if there is anything that can be done without some extraordinary actions by law enforcement like martial law," Swan said.

Something needs to be done to restore confidence to people in the area following the shooting.

"We have a lot of people who are nervous," he said. "Little kids are going to be going back to school soon," he said.

He said his grandson, who had spent the summer with him until returning recently to a Chicago suburb, used to go to that McDonald's quite often.

"If it happened a week earlier, he could have been shot," Swan said.

Hughes was gunned down just outside a McDonald's restaurant at about 5 p.m. in a crowded parking lot. He was stuck at least five times in the back, chest and buttocks, said Springfield Police Sgt. John M. Delaney, aide to Fitchet.

Police recovered an estimated two dozen spent shell casings, at least two parked cars were stuck, and a 13-year-old boy a block away at the Rebecca Johnson Magnet School was grazed in the foot by a stray bullet. He remains hospitalized, according to police.

Delaney said the shooting appears to be gang-related, and Hughes was known to police.

Hughes had a brush with death in April 2008 when shot in the back while walking on Northampton Avenue near Wilbraham Road. Police at the time said they suspected the shooting was gang-related. The shooting left Hughes with a bullet lodged near his spine.

Following Hughes' slaying Saturday, a temporary shrine with dozens of candles, photographs and handwritten notes was set up in his memory just outside the restaurant, a few feet from drive-up microphone where people order food.

Anna Saez, of Springfield, who identified herself as Hughes' aunt, was adamant that he was not in a gang.

"They say he was in a gang; he wasn't down with nobody," Saez said.

Using a cigarette lighter to give flame to candles that had been blown out by wind, she said "He was a good boy." She said Hughes worked three jobs to care for his family and his young daughter.

She said she last saw him an hour before he was killed.

Gesturing to the restaurant's front door, she said "He just came out there and they lit him up like he was nothing."

Several people interviewed in the vicinity of the square expressed surprise, shock and outrage at the brazen nature of the shooting.

"I'm surprised it happened in broad daylight in a crowded parking lot," said John Chong, of Merrimaid Laundromat.

Kevin Lee, manager of PSW Beauty Supply, just a few feet away from the scene of the shooting, said this is the worst act of violence in his 12 years at Mid-Town Plaza.

"I have heard in the neighborhood of people involved in crime, but I have never seen it myself," he said.

Lee said he was at work Saturday and heard the shooting but did not realize what it was.

"I heard a little noise - pop pop pop pop - but I didn't think much of it," he said.

About 30 seconds later, an employee called him to the front window, where he could see a bloodied Hughes collapsed on the asphalt.

Zeselie Alicia, a resident of the nearby Indian Motocycle Apartments, said the shooting has her frightened for herself and her two daughters.

They commonly walk to the Mid-Town Plaza for groceries, she said.

"That McDonald's? I go to there," she said.

Reporters Peter Goonan and George Graham contributed to this report.

I need to get out of here[thinking]

I was driving through Springfield back in May or June with my son, coming back from a gun store run. Downtown looked like a third world country. I worked in Springfield in the late 90s. I don't recall it being so grimy and nasty then.

state rep for Springfield area

Who the hell is Swan? I can't find it in the article I only see the quote from "swan"

SPRINGFIELD - Frances Rauls usually walks from her apartment on State Street to her job at Mason Square.

"Today I took my car," she said. "It's dangerous now."

Rauls works in the State Street office of state Rep. Benjamin Swan, directly across the street from where a 21-year-old man was gunned down in an explosion of gunfire Saturday afternoon.

ETA: am I the slowest NES poster ever? Holy crap, Gringo, Kiver.

Regarding the article, Springfield is a cesspool, that's not news. My wife works in Mason Square. The building that she works in took more small arms fire in 2007 than the building I was working in at the time...and I was in Iraq. I'm not exaggerating, either. On three separate occasions I got an email from her saying she got to work and there were new bullet holes in the windows. I can rest easy, though, because it's a school, and therefore a gun free zone, so she's perfectly safe.....I effing hate Springfield.

I have to go to Springfield every now and then for work - it is an absolute craphole. I was driving down the street on day near Mercy Hospital when four police cars flew in an boxed the car right in front of me. Needless to say everyone came out with their guns drawn at the driver - and I was just sitting there three feet away from the perps car shi**ing my pants because I thought I was going to get caught in some kind of gunfight. If I ever have to be in Springfield for any reason, I accessorize with something bigger than my usual 9mm...

I lived there from about 1992 to about 1999, in the Indian Orchard area and while I never felt hugely safe, I also was OK parking my car on the street and whatnot... I consulted downtown quite a bit and was always amazed at how badly some areas were falling apart. Seemed to deteriorate visibly every week.

Moved to CT as soon as an opportunity presented, but still go back to the greater SPFLD area and am actively looking into getting a MA LTC because of it.

The police hiring processes in the mid to late 90's were insane. You had people scoring perfect on entrance exams getting turned away because they were white and the city was trying to balance the force racially.

Any time I'm forced to drive in Springfield I get the overwhelming notion that I'm not carrying enough life insurance.

Swan said more may be needed, and suggested police be allowed to operate under what he called "a short period of martial law." The move, over a period of 30 to 60 days, would give police the power to sweep all the illegal guns in the city.

OK, I get it. Too much freedom. That's the problem. That, and guns. First take away freedom. Then take the guns. Then, later, when they feel like it, return some of the freedom (but not the guns). It's like cracking down on prison inmates, except for the tedious and immaterial fact that Massachusetts, even Springfield, is not at this point technically a prison.

I lived there from about 1992 to about 1999, in the Indian Orchard area and while I never felt hugely safe, I also was OK parking my car on the street and whatnot... I consulted downtown quite a bit and was always amazed at how badly some areas were falling apart. Seemed to deteriorate visibly every week.

I live in the Orchard and it gets pretty crappy. I just got my LTC after someone stole the 14" wheel off my car and stole the 2 cars parked next to mine in 2 weeks time. (off street parking)

I'm can't wait to get the hell out of here... [frown]

You would not believe how open and brazen some of the shooting have become. We are talking the equivalent of committing a drive-by in the Oscar Mier Wiener-Mobile on Newbury Street at 3pm on a Thursday.

There is a lot of money coming into Springfield, believe it or not, from large corporations to development firms. We have a very large commercial project management satellite that took office space, and they are crazy busy.

This violence will only hinder further development, and that is driving this new push for a police presence. I moved shop into Springfield for a single reason, besides the courthouses' proximity, to support the city, in whatever way my little firm can support the city. The city needs a little 90's Giuliani love, and I hope a significant increase in police presence tows that line versus "martial law." I think that statement was simply Swan flapping his wings. His statement about "No one I know has gotten shot with a legal gun" was nice to hear.

You would not believe how open and brazen some of the shooting have become. We are talking the equivalent of committing a drive-by in the Oscar Mier Wiener-Mobile on Newbury Street at 3pm on a Thursday.

There is a lot of money coming into Springfield, believe it or not, from large corporations to development firms. We have a very large commercial project management satellite that took office space, and they are crazy busy.

This violence will only hinder further development, and that is driving this new push for a police presence. I moved shop into Springfield for a single reason, besides the courthouses' proximity, to support the city, in whatever way my little firm can support the city. The city needs a little 90's Giuliani love, and I hope a significant increase in police presence tows that line versus "martial law." I think that statement was simply Swan flapping his wings. His statement about "No one I know has gotten shot with a legal gun" was nice to hear.

That's a stand up thing to do.

Springfield is a dump. I knew it from the very first time I ever laid eyes on the place in the mid 70's. It's has only gotten worse. The only safe place in town is inside S&W. There's a reason the place is built like a fort. [smile]

[thinking]
Well, look on the bright side...
"No one I know has gotten shot with a legal gun," he said.

I can't reconcile these two statements from the same person.

Following Hughes' slaying Saturday, a temporary shrine with dozens of candles, photographs and handwritten notes was set up in his memory just outside the restaurant, a few feet from drive-up microphone where people order food.
The temporariness of this shrine would be clocked in nano seconds if this was my property. I hate these shrines to gang members and thugs. Their demise, most of the time, is brought on themselves and the only memory we should have of them is the stain on the side walk. /rant off

Regarding the article, Springfield is a cesspool, that's not news. My wife works in Mason Square. The building that she works in took more small arms fire in 2007 than the building I was working in at the time...and I was in Iraq. I'm not exaggerating, either. On three separate occasions I got an email from her saying she got to work and there were new bullet holes in the windows. I can rest easy, though, because it's a school, and therefore a gun free zone, so she's perfectly safe.....I effing hate Springfield.

Us too. We avoid Springfield as much as possible.

I'm sorry there isn't enough money in the world for me to even think about opening a business in Springfield. All I can say is God bless you, but I don't even go there to eat.[thinking]
Springfield is a large cesspool and it isn't going to change.

The temporariness of this shrine would be clocked in nano seconds if this was my property. I hate these shrines to gang members and thugs. Their demise, most of the time, is brought on themselves and the only memory we should have of them is the stain on the side walk. /rant off

[laugh2] +1

I went to school at Springfield College and back in 99-00 we had 4 incidents where windows below us were blown out by gunfire. The only time I go there now is for the registry, Mardi Gras, and S&W

I have to go to Springfield every now and then for work - it is an absolute craphole. I was driving down the street on day near Mercy Hospital when four police cars flew in an boxed the car right in front of me. Needless to say everyone came out with their guns drawn at the driver - and I was just sitting there three feet away from the perps car shi**ing my pants because I thought I was going to get caught in some kind of gunfight. If I ever have to be in Springfield for any reason, I accessorize with something bigger than my usual 9mm...

There are only two places in Springfield I have any reason to go to.

S&W
Springfield Armory

Terra,

While he didn't say it, I suspect the matial law that he's specifically looking for is the ability to conduct unconstitutional search and siezure of illegally possesed firearms, and while I am sure he could get a lot of support for a local police policy that anyone in that area of town can be searched for any reason (or no reason at all) and sieze illegal items it would still be highly unconstitutional.

Back
Top Bottom