Martha's Vineyard/Nantucket

Guess they are way overpopulated with deer down there. We went out to Westboro today and stopped by the HQ. 3 guys I work with got 2 doe tag's each. Sounds like it would be a fun little weekend trip. Anybody been down there recently?

Guess they are way overpopulated with deer down there. We went out to Westboro today and stopped by the HQ. 3 guys I work with got 2 doe tag's each. Sounds like it would be a fun little weekend trip. Anybody been down there recently?

I've never been personally taken a trip to the Vinyard for hunting. However, I heard its way overpopulated w/ deer. But, because of the enormous amount of overcrowding the deer don't grow to their full potential. So you have a lot of dog sized deer out there.

I have never been down there, but I have talked to many people who have...

Bring a "Nantucket Treestand".

It's an 8' A-frame ladder. All the brush down there is 6' tall and thick as hell.

Last edited:
We went down on Monday morning to MV. Caught the first ferry out with no real info (hard to find any). Found a few trucks parked along one of the main roads and walked in to the state park through a fire road West of the airport. The area is like 1/2mile blocks. There were 2 large groups of between 15-20 guys. Half of them would walk through the brush and the other half would post up on the surrounding roads and hit any deer pushed out into the road. We asked one guy about it and he got a little defensive. At about 1pm he said his group of 12 had "a few" deer.

The brush is really thick, then you find yourself under a group of pines. Pretty creepy forest in some parts. Tracks, droppings, and beds everywhere but not a deer to be seen. The checking station seemed pretty busy but mostly from people in the large groups.

It was a fun trip, didn't hit anything, probably won't go back unless I hook up with someone with more experience down there.

I've never been personally taken a trip to the Vinyard for hunting. However, I heard its way overpopulated w/ deer. But, because of the enormous amount of overcrowding the deer don't grow to their full potential. So you have a lot of dog sized deer out there.

You are right about the overpopulation but wrong about the body size or the deer. There are a lot of huge deer on the island, I have seen many both hanging and walking around. I have been fishing and hunting there for many years with one of my best friends who is a resident. The reason so many small deer are shot is because that is generally what happens where deer are driven, young deer are not as smart as old deer so they are culled quicker. If you went down during the archery season you would see a different class of deer. Up isalnd there are a couple of places where the locals drive deer toward the ocean, they push them right onto the beach. Pretty effective. Also they have no respect for a no tresspassing sign or a locked gate. So if you think you have a spot locked up to yourself you have a rude awakening coming, happened to us every gun season on my buddies property in Chilmark.

Back
Top Bottom