Hunting the Vineyard

Was curious, I might have access to a place to hunt this fall on the vineyard, anyone have experience with a deer hunt there?

I hunted there years ago and I didn't see a deer. This does not mean that you might not do well or enjoy yourself.

I recall the trees to be very small and low. It was not easy to see under them. I also had to use a shotgun and I much prefer rifles.

The Vineyard is a beautiful place and is a fabulous sailing area. If you have some private land there you know about with some open area then a great hunt might happen.

There are always a huge surplus of antlerless tags available for the islands, so you may want to pick up a few extra tags to make the trip really worthwhile.

Due to the low trees and SUPER thick brush a 6-9 foot ladder is just enough to get you up over the brush. A little matte spraypaint and you would have a really portable low treestand.

Driving. Hmm, would need access to more land that I have immediate approval for. I'm used to spot and stalk, a stand/hide is new to me. Let me guess, no chance for spot and stalk there, not enough huntable land would be my assumption.

Driving. Hmm, would need access to more land that I have immediate approval for. I'm used to spot and stalk, a stand/hide is new to me. Let me guess, no chance for spot and stalk there, not enough huntable land would be my assumption.
The issue is that it in many places you can't see 20'. No way to spot, and the deer within two miles will hear you cursing as you crawl on your hands and knees through the scrub.

It is. You will leave there beat up. I'm glad I went once to see how it is, but I won't go back.

I worked there for three months last spring. Saw lots of deer, all very small. Brush is very thick with lots of poison ivy. Tons of turkeys!

The poison ivy is positively epic. You haven't seen poison ivy until you've been to the Vineyard and seen 40 ACRES of poison ivy shrubs that are knee high.

Dave,
First you dont want to get lymes... It sucks! I surprised no one has brought up the point that getting shot is also a possibility. Crawling around under scrub oak just seems dangerous [grin] I do agree there are lots of deer!

I hunted over there for 5 years straight during the bow season.My friends stepmom was part of the tribe and had a beautiful house up on top of gay head.We tried the private land but as others said the scrub oak was like trying to crawl through barb wire.We ended up hunting the state forest over there and is quite different from the rest of the island as the state maintains it and keeps the scrub under controll.Nice tall pines for stands and plenty of browse for the animals.

It's similar to Nantucket, if you put the effort in you will be rewarded. Its best done with a good size group of people to drive and some setup to shoot.

You can shoot does all day, ge them checked at the station and usually buy more tags on the spot.

Back
Top Bottom