Another year, another hunting accident on Nantucket

M1911

NES Member
This time a hunter was shot in the face:

Nantucket hunter accidentally shot in face

By NANTUCKET INQUIRER AND MIRROR
December 01, 2009

A hunter was shot in the face just before noon yesterday on Eel Point, the Nantucket Inquirer Mirror reported.

The injuries were not life-threatening, and the accident occurred between 11 a.m.-noon on Eel Point in the vicinity of Ranger Road and Bishop's Rise, on the first day of shotgun deer-hunting season.

The unidentified hunter drove himself to Nantucket Cottage Hospital, Nantucket Police Det. Lt. Jerry Adams said.

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091201/NEWS11/912019983

hubby was talking to an LEO at a checking station @ Otis... he had said it was a shot in the neck w/a slug, by someone else, but who knows... (this was yesterday). i'll have to ask him for more details

hubby was talking to an LEO at a checking station @ Otis... he had said it was a shot in the neck w/a slug, by someone else, but who knows... (this was yesterday). i'll have to ask him for more details
Wouldn't surprise me. The scrub on Nantucket is so thick that someone could be 25' away and you would never know they were there.

I hope the fellow recovers. If he drove himself to the hospital, I'm guessing it was a glancing blow, because a 12 gauge slug directly to the neck would probably not be survivable.

That's a hell of a place to take a slug and he's damn lucky. If anything less than 00 buck was coming out of the barrel he could have gotten multiple shot placed right in his coratic artery.

If he drove himself to the hospital, I'm guessing it was a glancing blow, because a 12 gauge slug directly to the neck would probably not be survivable.

that's what i was thinking-- when he told me that, my first words were "wow- there probably isn't much left of his neck, but he's lucky"

Green members can see this thread continued in the members only section.
Let me set this straight for everyone else.

As someone who has first hand knowledge of this incident let me be clear with these FACTS.

1. The hunter did not shoot himself.

2 The hunter was not shot in the face and not shot with a slug. He was hit just behind his left temple and the buckshot pellet traveled between his scalp and skull along the left side of his head and exited near the back of his head,towards the nape of his neck.

3. The hunter did not drive himself to the hospital. A friend of his drove him there.

4. Dont ever expect the Nantucket Inquirer and Mirror to ever get the facts straight, on even the simplest of stories.

Having been on MV yesterday, I can see how this could happen. The brush is so thick you can't see ANYTHING.

Having been on MV yesterday, I can see how this could happen. The brush is so thick you can't see ANYTHING.

I vacation on MV. I've hunted on Nantucket. It's thicker on Nantucket. You just won't believe it until you've tried to crawl through it.

Actually this year set, what maybe called a record.
There were 3 accidents on opening day. 1 on each island, and 1 in Plymouth.
There was a 4th accident in Worthington on the 1st of December.

Back
Top Bottom