Deer hunting on marthas vineyard

Atlantis

NES Member
Hey all,

Curious if any of you are tied into the MV deer hunting scene already. I'm very new to hunting in general, a good friend of mine invited me on a small deer drive out in Boxford last year during shotgun season. Hopefully we will have better success this year. I've heard and read stories about the action over on the Vineyard, and had a few questions:

1) Are any of you planning on going over there this year and if so, would you be open to my buddy and me participating in your group?

2) Is there a butcher/meat processing location on the island or do you typically just take the harvest back on the ferry and process yourself/go to your favorite mainland processor?

3) Is there enough public land to be worthwhile or is it really important to have access to private land?

I don't know about MV, but years back 3 of us went to Nantucket. High hopes, unlimited doe permits. Worst hunting experience in my life. Huge drives done by scumbags that just open up with buckshot at anything that moves. Little skippers that were blasted to bits, (all the deer were small and sickly), legs hanging etc. After about two hours of watching the carnage and hoping not to get shot, we went back to town and headed to the mainland. All of the worst you hear of unethical, unsafe hunting was on display.

I don't know about MV, but years back 3 of us went to Nantucket. High hopes, unlimited doe permits. Worst hunting experience in my life. Huge drives done by scumbags that just open up with buckshot at anything that moves. Little skippers that were blasted to bits, (all the deer were small and sickly), legs hanging etc. After about two hours of watching the carnage and hoping not to get shot, we went back to town and headed to the mainland. All of the worst you hear of unethical, unsafe hunting was on display.

Yeah I read a few threads alluding to that. I’m guessing that’s where private land/being with the right group might help?

Also sounds like maybe this is a feature of shotgun season and going for bow season would be different?

[banghead][banghead] I couldn't think of a worse place to deer hunt than either MV or Nantucket.

In terms of population and annual production it sounded promising, the more I look into it the more it sounds like a shitshow.

After MV or Nantucket I'd say Blue Hills around the Boston neighborhoods/suburbs

Lol I used to ride from Roxybury out to the blue hills for the twisties with some buddies, was always an eventful and entertaining experience on they way out there

Curious if any of you are tied into the MV deer hunting scene already.
Yes, know many that tried it and all said t sucked for various reasons. One very big reason is TICKS!!! They are horrendous. If you take a deer, they drip off like water. Go for real woods, far western MA or NH, ME.

All of the worst you hear of unethical, unsafe hunting was on display.
True words.

The problem with deer hunting on MV/Nan is that teh locals think they are cute. Sure. And you have the highest incidents of Lyme in the world. Because you are overpopulated.

And because the deer are unmanaged they tend to be smaller.

And so much private land, there isn't much area to get them. Because of the first thing above.

Add in awful hunters and it's ugly on top of ugly. It's too bad. It could be fun. I've got a client with a huge piece of land on MV. They threaten to get hunters on the land every year. Then back off b/c "they are so cute" at the last minute. LOL

My club has one guy in a group of 10 cops that go to MV every year in shotgun season.

They have a good time.....but have been doing it for years, probably have a few places to go...but still do drives, etc. None of the deer they shoot are really great deer.
My guess its a clusterf***, they just are used to it. Shotgun hunters that are cops....... Not my thing at all.

There are better deer in 9 and 10, and a lot more land in Zone 5,6,7,8 to hunt, with less deer but less bullshit. I'd take that over a MV shit show. Plus the logistics of getting there, the cost of staying, is not worth it, you end up spending some serious coin.

By the end of it, you'd be better off doing a hunt in CT or PA, or public land midwest where there are some serious deer.

Hey all,

Curious if any of you are tied into the MV deer hunting scene already. I'm very new to hunting in general, a good friend of mine invited me on a small deer drive out in Boxford last year during shotgun season. Hopefully we will have better success this year. I've heard and read stories about the action over on the Vineyard, and had a few questions:

1) Are any of you planning on going over there this year and if so, would you be open to my buddy and me participating in your group?

2) Is there a butcher/meat processing location on the island or do you typically just take the harvest back on the ferry and process yourself/go to your favorite mainland processor?

3) Is there enough public land to be worthwhile or is it really important to have access to private land?
Where in Boxford, Boy Scout Park, Cleveland Farm, State Forest or somewhere in West Boxford?

Just talked to my buddy and he mentioned going to Maine after a good snowstorm. Seems like that may be more my speed than the MV clusterfu..
I'm from mass and the last 2 years I have not hunted a single day in mass. Southern nh has veen very productive for rabbit, turkey, and deer. Hunted squirrel in nh this morning just got home......Grey's open sep 1 every year.

Back
Top Bottom