• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Martha's Vineyard

Chris M.

NES Member
Given the low deer hunter success rate in zones with lower deer density, I was thinking about upping my odds and hunting on Martha's Vineyard (muzzleloader of course) before the season closes.

Has anyone here ever hunted there?

Is it worth a trip down there?

Thanks.

I've hunted on Nantucket and have vacationed on the Vineyard for the past 10 years. Both are really tough places to hunt.

Both have very thick scrub. So thick that deer could be bedded down 15' away and you'd never see him. Most folks there who are successful use drives. So if you've got 5 of your best buddies to head over, have at it. But as a lone hunter? It would be tough.

Stay where you have scouted.

Last edited:
Thanks. Then I'm glad I asked. And I'll do just that; stick to my tiny spots.

It's getting frustrating when I haven't seen a thing in 3 full days, but when I drive home at dark I see six deer all on peoples small farms and yards. Access is non-existant and the WMAs are hammered. I'll try to keep my attitude positive but the 15% success rate is getting tiresome. Maybe I just suk [smile]. I'm thinking of just passing on a Mass licence next year and doing a trip. I go north for birds anyway, why not go southwest and actually see deer.

Argh, just venting.

Thanks.

The state park on MV is scary. 20 guys in 1/2 square mile driving, deer jumps, 40 shots go off.

The state park on MV is scary. 20 guys in 1/2 square mile driving, deer jumps, 40 shots go off.

I assume that you mean the Manuel F. Correllus State Forest. I don't doubt that it is scary. There was one hunter shot in that forest last year, and another shot on Chappy out on Cape Poge.

I assume that you mean the Manuel F. Correllus State Forest. I don't doubt that it is scary. There was one hunter shot in that forest last year, and another shot on Chappy out on Cape Poge.

is that the one that got shot in the head?

Back
Top Bottom