• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MARSOC chooses the Glock 19

Andy in NH

NES Life Member
NES Member
There's a trend forming in Special Operations pistol selection:

Marines opt for the 9 mil over 45s for special operators

For Marine special operators, the never-ending debate over whether the 9mm or .45-caliber round is the more powerful bullet has been settled.

Previously, the classic .45-caliber Colt 1911 was one of three pistols that Raiders were allowed to carry, but now the 9mm Glock 19 is the only pistol that Marine special operators can take into battle, said Maj. Nick Mannweiler, a spokesman for Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command.

I feel like I just read they went to a 1911. These stories are always changing. Then again I could be misunderstanding everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The regular marines just went back to a 1911 I believe this is the special ops guys

that makes NO sense at all. So a special ops guy tags up with regular marines, but they do not have his ammo there to resupply him???[banghead]

Last edited:
Its probably more along the lines of A. There are zillions of 9mm rounds in surplus that the Govt has ($) and B. for working in theater pretty much anywhere else in the world ammo is available (with our allies).

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

I feel like I just read they went to a 1911. These stories are always changing. Then again I could be misunderstanding everything.

About 18 months ago they were given the option between the two pistols:

Marines Allow Operators to Choose Glocks over MARSOC .45s

The Marine Corps has authorized MARSOC operators to carry Glock pistols, since many of the elite outfit's members prefer the popular 9mm over the custom .45 pistols the service bought them in 2012.

As nice as the new .45s are, many MARSOC troops prefer to carry Glock 19s instead, sources said.

The regular marines just went back to a 1911 I believe this is the special ops guys

Patently FALSE!

When I was in the Marine Corps our pistols looked like this [rockon]

M16A1w30rdMag.jpg

that makes NO sense at all. So a special ops guy tags up with regular marines, but they do not have his ammo there to resupply him???[banghead]

I had a Force Recon Marine show up (as an individual augmentee) at Camp Al Qaim in 2005 with his MEUSOC .45 on his hip.

He was looking for ammo for it, but unfortunately (for him) my Bn didn't rate any .45ACP caliber weapons in the T/E, so the ASP didn't have any .45 ammo in inventory.

If we had had some I would have let him have it.

If he carries 2 spare mags, then he's got a total of 50 rounds. (17+17+15+1) Equivalent to carrying 5 (!!!) spare mags for his .45. ( (8 x 6)+1) = 49 )

He won't need to borrow much.

Let me share a life story with you all.

When it comes to centerfire semi-auto handguns, I pretty much only own and shoot either 1911s or Glocks. I think they are both great. So I don't really have a dog in this fight.

About 3 years ago I owned a beautiful original Colt 1911 Lightweight Officers ACP. This little gun had so much potential. Its my favorite size in a defensive 1911, since its my humble opinion that any of the exotic smaller than this versions are either unreliable or difficult to shoot fast well.

As was typical of Colts of that era, it was not totally reliable and had a trigger that felt like you soaked it in 30 wt oil and rolled it around in the sand.

But I was going to make this little beauty into a gem. I was preparing to send it off to Wilson Combat for about $1300 worth of work that would turn it into the ultimate (or pretty close) little carry gun.

Then a couple of days before I was going to ship it out I had both it and my Gen4 Glock 19 out on my bench. Hmm. I laid the Glock on top of the OACP. Hmm. They are exactly the same size. Then I held them up and looked at them from the rear. They were about the same width although with a set of slim grips the 1911 could have definitely been made a bit narrower.

Then I weighed them. The OACP weighted 24 oz, the Glock weighed 20. Hmm.

Then I thought about capacity. OACP - 7 rounds of .45. G19 - 16 rounds of 9mm
Flame me if you would like. But I don't carry a spare mag. But it gets even worse for the OACP if you work the numbers that way.
(13 vs 33)

Hmm. Then I thought about the investment. OACP - Gun value $900+WC work $1300 = $2200 G19 - $550

Hmm.

That was the beginning of the end. I listed the Colt the next day and within a couple of weeks sold it to an interesting guy from this board that did some high profile personal protection work.

I haven't regretted my decision. Now don't get me wrong. I love my 1911s. I've owned Wilsons, Nighthawks, Les Baers, and Brazos Customs, and Dan Wessons. They are all wonderful guns. And I still have every 5" 1911 I've ever bought from any of those companies. But all my carry 1911s are gone

Carry guns are tools. Further, they are DISPOSABLE tools. If I can get a lighter, cheaper, more effective and and more reliable tool, then shame on me if I don't use it.

Oh yeah. And I shot the Glock MUCH MUCH better than I did the OACP.

The end.

Last edited:
I was up in our mountains with a friend panning for gold. He had his glock 19 in his back pants pocket as we worked our way down to the creek. He slipped and fell on his ass then slid a bit more down the bank. He was ok but checking out his glock the slide had jumped the back rails and was totally jammed. Lousy adjustable rear sight was broken too. This is back when they first come out.

Ya I know you don't think there is enough flex in the plastic for this to happen because you seen them run over glocks with cars. Those are tiny little rails and when they do the car thing it's on a flat surface.

[laugh] I still carry a Glock and do my best not to fall on it.

Even if it happened, a little bit of knowledge would allow you to disassemble it and get it going again in about 3 minutes.

It had to go to the gunsmith, neither of use could pull it apart and with the adjustable sight broken it needed shop repair. Those flimsy adjustable sights on the first glocks were done away with.

Once the glocks get out on the battle field I hope those small little rails hold up to pounding and abuse. Think they will make a good sap when it comes to hand to hand?

It had to go to the gunsmith, neither of use could pull it apart and with the adjustable sight broken it needed shop repair. Those flimsy adjustable sights on the first glocks were done away with.

The gunsmith probably just wacked the back of the slide with a rubber mallet.

I'm not a gunsmith, but I've completed the Glock armorers and advanced armorers courses and there are some tricks to getting them apart without pulling the trigger. (Pull the slide back then remove the back plate and striker). Its not rocket surgery.

Don

The gunsmith probably just wacked the back of the slide with a rubber mallet.

I'm not a gunsmith, but I've completed the Glock armorers and advanced armorers courses and there are some tricks to getting them apart without pulling the trigger. (Pull the slide back then remove the back plate and striker). Its not rocket surgery.

Don

I have been useing a Glock for a long time and have no complaints but I do know some of the weak points. Every gun has them. The early adjustable sights you could break with one finger, they were junk and got removed from my glocks right away.

I have been useing a Glock for a long time and have no complaints but I do know some of the weak points. Every gun has them. The early adjustable sights you could break with one finger, they were junk and got removed from my glocks right away.

I agree completely with the complaints about the sights.

Even with my Gen4 guns. I typically reverse the rear sight so the white is not showing, then enlarge the groove with a file. finally I put a fiber optic on the front.

However, if you've ever taken any instruction in reflexive or instinctive shooting, you will see that at truly defensive distances, sights aren't really that necessary. I'm not making an excuse. Its just how things work for me. I don't really need a rear sight, but a nice glowing front is all I need to shoot out past 20 yards.

With all that said, I had a Gen 3 G34 with over 30,000 rounds through it. The sights were stock except for darkening the U notch on the adjustable rear. The gun led an easy life. (No carry, but about 8 years of IDPA use) But 30K rounds is still a fair amount of use.

Don

For what its worth.....

If one of these guys has transitioned to his pistol, the crap has really hit the fan.

The G 19 is extremely easy to modify to full auto.

I worked with some dudes in Afghanistan (not MARSOC) that had G19s that were full auto, and the way they explained it to me made total sense (as to why ).

This may have had something to do with the decision.

Very poor choice. These guns are so poorly made that they are considered defective. Dealers in MA have been banned from selling them to protect consumers.

I will be contacting my AG to see if she can reach out to the MARSOC. Hopefully Healy can stop this from happening amd recommend a non-defective pistol.

God, I'm such a dinosaur, I'm stuck on my .45 ,
but common sense says g19 with " pre- ban" mags. [grin]

Nahhh not a dinosaur at all, youre comfortable with your .45, nothing wrong with that. Its certainly a proven round, and I carry a G 30 on duty.
For me the G19 is an easier carry, be it in my AlienGear IWB, or the way I mostly carry it, Mexican. Bullet construction has changed so much that I dont worry about the 9mm round not doing its job.
I have a Colt Commander and a BHP (not for much longer tho lol) that I love to shoot, but Id never carry them; not because I fear the condition one, but because why bother when I can just toss my G19 into my pubic region and go.

Back
Top Bottom