Marlboro show

Only if you are silly enough to tell them that you have a gun on you!

If a uniformed officer asks, I would think I would have to answer truthfully. No? Because I do plan on showing it when I go to try on IWB holsters. Which brings me to the damn wire tie, is it required by any kind of law?
Can I cut if off inside?

-= chuck

Dealers inside have spare wire ties. They will cut it off to try a holster and then re-tie it when done.

It's not a law, just a rule of the show promoter. If found without it they have the right to throw you out and ban you from any/all their shows.

It is patently unsafe for anyone to unholster a loaded weapon and start trying it in other holsters, hence in this case the rule makes sense. Keep in mind that at a crowded show, it's very difficult to keep the muzzle from crossing anyone or anything that would not be appropriate to shoot. [I hope this makes sense!]

I agree Len...

However before I enter any show, I unload my firearm, and magazine then put it back in my holster so I can test fit mags and what not. I have seen a couple of times the folks putting the wire ties on do it through the barrel of the gun, and I even saw one gun dropped when handed over.

Just my .02

As Len said, all of the dealers will have extra ties. (Stop by the United States Practical Shooting Association's booth if you can't find any)
They WILL most likely put the tie down the barrel.
Be careful handing it over. [wink]

FTIW, both times I carried into a show (Marlboro and Shriners) the tie went through the barrel. I'll carry my own ties just in case .

-= chuck

empty mags, wire ties

Years ago I attended the Big E show and the conversation proceeded:

"Are you carrying a gun?"
"Affirmative".
"Is it loaded?"
"Absolutely."
"You'll need to empty the magazine and any spares".

So, without unholstering I removed the mag and emptied it. Then I drew one of the spare magazines and emptied it. Then I drew the second spare and emptied it. By that time Officer Friendly's eyes were bugging out and he asked "Are you expecting trouble?" to which I replied

"To paraphrase Jeff Cooper, if I was expecting trouble I'd be carrying a rifle".

So then I turned in a safe direction, drew my HKP7 from its Mitch Rosen holster, emptied the chamber, locked the slide back and showed it empty.

I don't recall now if it was acceptable to then carry the mags and ammo seperately or not but I think OF offered to "keep the magazines safe" and I declined the offer.

FYI the last time i went to the Marlboro show i was carrying of course and had to unload my firearm. The person at the desk who holds the ammo/mags tried to put a zip tie through the barrell. If you ask him he will put it through the slide/magwell instead of through your barrell. I had him do that during the last show i went to and he did it without any problems.

Here's another idea - call me crazy, but....

How about just locking the gun up in your vehicle (you do carry a lockable case at all times, don't you?) and just going into the show gun-naked?

You only have to traverse a few hundred feet un-armed, but will soon be safely in a crowd of fellow gun folk. You don't have to wait extra time to check your gun, don't have to fool with the tie-wrap, and don't need to worry about collecting up everything afterwards.

Granted, if you are bringing it in to check the fit of a holster, or looking to sell the gun, that's another matter.

But to avoid the hassle of the customary "gun frisk" walking through the door, just leave it in the car. There are guards in the parking lot, and no one is going to fool with it.

If I was going into a gun show in downtown Boston (HA! What a thought!) it would be different. But in Marlboro? In the daylight? Surrounded by gun folk? I'll take a chance and drop my alert level to orange temporarily....

How about just locking the gun up in your vehicle (you do carry a lockable case at all times, don't you?) and just going into the show gun-naked?

You only have to traverse a few hundred feet un-armed, but will soon be safely in a crowd of fellow gun folk. You don't have to wait extra time to check your gun, don't have to fool with the tie-wrap, and don't need to worry about collecting up everything afterwards.

Granted, if you are bringing it in to check the fit of a holster, or looking to sell the gun, that's another matter.

But to avoid the hassle of the customary "gun frisk" walking through the door, just leave it in the car. There are guards in the parking lot, and no one is going to fool with it.

If I was going into a gun show in downtown Boston (HA! What a thought!) it would be different. But in Marlboro? In the daylight? Surrounded by gun folk? I'll take a chance and drop my alert level to orange temporarily....

Sounds like too much trouble to me,I just tell them "No" when they ask.Only time I let them ziptie my weapon is if I am looking for an accessory for it and I need to take the weapon out.

I'm sure you seen some of the derelicts at gun shows,now way I would go into one of those places un-armed.

People scare me.

Carrying at the show...

How about just locking the gun up in your vehicle (you do carry a lockable case at all times, don't you?) and just going into the show gun-naked?....

Yes, I have and use Secure-Its cabled to the frame of the drivers seat in both the car and the truck. I used that approach at the Manchester show. But in Marlborough, Ill be looking for a holster/concealed carry rig that fits the 5" barrel LLAMA (M1911A1 clone) I just bought. I just don't see much point in carrying an empty pistol [wink] So I was wondering how they do it at the gun show in Marlborough. Thanks everybody for all the input.
-Wayne

I went to Marlboro last Saturday

I got there around 9:30 and was pleasantly surprised to see there was no line to get in.
Of course, the reason was that it was an outdoor show and not a gun show.
It seems some idiot moron had written down the wrong date on my calendar.

Nice day for a drive though

Sounds like too much trouble to me,I just tell them "No" when they ask.Only time I let them ziptie my weapon is if I am looking for an accessory for it and I need to take the weapon out.

I'm sure you seen some of the derelicts at gun shows,now way I would go into one of those places un-armed.

People scare me.

+1 That's what I do...[smile]

I got there around 9:30 and was pleasantly surprised to see there was no line to get in.

Phew! When I started to read you post I though that I missed the show.

Whew, at least I now know I wasn't the only one who got the date wrong [shocked]

You scared the crap outta me. I'm supposed to help my friend at his table and I thought I'd missed the show.

You scared the crap outta me. I'm supposed to help my friend at his table and I thought I'd missed the show.
I'm running a table, and the guy I carpooled with to the AFS match yesterday is runninga different table, so I was double crapscared.

Don't you think Bob would have said something?

How are you for covereage?
If Bob had missed the show, what he would have said is "Why did you give me the wrong dates?"

We can use you either day - I'll start putting the roster together from emails tonite.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom