Marlboro show

Is this a good show??? How big is it (like the Big E??? ) ???

I'm wondering if it is worth the 2 hour ride out from here seeing that is at a hotel ???

C-pher,
Who do you work for? Just curious, I always like to put faces/people to posts.

-Cuz.

I work with the guys over at the Powder Keg. It's a small shop over in Mansfield.

Sounds good... I like to do the same. Make sure you say hi to Len as well over at the Goal Table. Last time we were both there, we were across from each other... Maybe we'll get that lucky as well this time. It makes it easy for each other to point out more NES folks to each other.

DavidC77:

It's actually at the convention center (display hall) for the hotel - not in the hotel itself. It's not quite as big as the Big E, but it's usually well-attended, and parking is free. There are a number of places to eat within walking distance, and it's easy to reach from the highway. Just take the Mass Pike East, head north on 495, and then 2 exits up (exit 24), take 20 west. It's about a mile off the highway on the right.

It's like any show, though - lots of folks looking to make outrageous profit on their stuff. Every once in a while, though, you find a gem. I prefer it to the Big E show, but I do live only 2 miles away.....

Come on out!

Usually the Marlboro show is considered by the vendors as a very good show, thus it sells out to an HONEST max of 500 tables (as long as there aren't any competing shows the same day).

I have found the Big E to be "over-advertised" wrt number of tables. Yes the halls are bigger but the last one I went to (~15 months ago) I counted a REAL number of ~325 tables (for a show that was advertised as 600+)!

I now consider Marlboro the ONE MA show to attend and I stopped going to Springfield shows.

DavidC77:

It's actually at the convention center (display hall) for the hotel - not in the hotel itself. It's not quite as big as the Big E, but it's usually well-attended, and parking is free. There are a number of places to eat within walking distance, and it's easy to reach from the highway. Just take the Mass Pike East, head north on 495, and then 2 exits up (exit 24), take 20 west. It's about a mile off the highway on the right.

It's like any show, though - lots of folks looking to make outrageous profit on their stuff. Every once in a while, though, you find a gem. I prefer it to the Big E show, but I do live only 2 miles away.....

Come on out!

I'm glad you posted that because the show is in "Marlborough" not "Marlboro".
[thinking]

I did a Mapquest search for "Marlboro" (which is in Southern MA, Rt 95 near Georgetown).

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't know that they moved Georgetown to Southern MA!! I guess that they did this while I had my back turned! [wink]

Marlboro/Marlborough is in MetroWest, NOT Southern MA!! It is ~10 miles NORTH of I-90 which isn't a bad separator of North and South in MA.

I'm glad you posted that because the show is in "Marlborough" not "Marlboro".
[thinking]

I did a Mapquest search for "Marlboro" (which is in Southern MA, Rt 95 near Georgetown).

Ya I found the same thing, I ended up looking up the hotel and found it that way, Map Quest and Yahoo keep mixing it up.

Last edited:
DavidC77:

It's actually at the convention center (display hall) for the hotel - not in the hotel itself. It's not quite as big as the Big E, but it's usually well-attended, and parking is free. I prefer it to the Big E show, but I do live only 2 miles away.....

Come on out!

Thanks, I think I'll take the ride out to check it out, not really looking for much, it's more a day looking at gun stuff is better than a day at work [rofl] .

Usually the Marlboro show is considered by the vendors as a very good show, thus it sells out to an HONEST max of 500 tables (as long as there aren't any competing shows the same day).

I have found the Big E to be "over-advertised" wrt number of tables. Yes the halls are bigger but the last one I went to (~15 months ago) I counted a REAL number of ~325 tables (for a show that was advertised as 600+)!

I now consider Marlboro the ONE MA show to attend and I stopped going to Springfield shows.

Thanks here also. I have not been very happy with the Big E show as of late also.

Thanks Len for the observation ,
I think I might reconsider the Big E if the MSC can get coverage from western leagues. I don't mind the ride out west when getting paid [smile] but Marlboro is so much closer.
I went to the show years ago , in the Holiday Inn and one a door prize.
Have You ever attended the Standish Show ? I signed up to work the MSC booth .
Bob

Yes, I worked the GOAL table at a Standish show. BORED out of our heads . . . I don't think we sold 1 GOAL membership between us (Don Kusser and myself) all day! Very little guns/ammo . . . it is mostly a "gentlemen sportsmen's show" (e.g. boats, fishing trips, hunting lodges, etc.). It's not a gun show by any stretch of the imagination. I've refused to even consider it ever since then (probably 4-5 years ago).

Yes, I worked the GOAL table at a Standish show. BORED out of our heads . . . I don't think we sold 1 GOAL membership between us (Don Kusser and myself) all day! Very little guns/ammo . . . it is mostly a "gentlemen sportsmen's show" (e.g. boats, fishing trips, hunting lodges, etc.). It's not a gun show by any stretch of the imagination. I've refused to even consider it ever since then (probably 4-5 years ago).

Len
Thanks for the heads up , I will bring something to read ,
Uncle Henry's and a Want Ad , to read the gun adds
Bob

I'll be there working a booth for USPSA with some folks from Hopkinton. We put on an introduction to IPSC/USPSA shooting each spring and this show is where we get our students. Look for the big blue shirt that says Hopkinton Heavy Hitters. [grin]

I'll be there working a booth for USPSA with some folks from Hopkinton. We put on an introduction to IPSC/USPSA shooting each spring and this show is where we get our students. Look for the big blue shirt that says Hopkinton Heavy Hitters. [grin]

I will have to look You up .
If You guys are the Heavy Hitters , then My Daughter was a member of your lite weight hitters at the club for a few years . [smile]
Bob

GOAL should have tickets for this year's raffle first available at Marlboro (which it usually misses having them ready in time for). Swing by the table, say "Hi!" to Nancy and get some.

First Prize (again): An SVI Traditional Target 1911 in the WINNER'S choice of 9mm, .40 or .45 !

Second Prize: An S&W Performance Center .45.

Also a deep-sea fishing trip, a Ruger 10/22, A LaRocca-tuned .357 and a muzzle-loading rifle.

Check the website for full details.

Marlboro Question for LTC

What is the procedure wrt concealed handguns at Marlborough? Do the officers at the door store the magazines and band the action as they do at the big E? (I usually carry one of my bottom feeders[wink] )Thanks,
-Wayne

What is the procedure wrt concealed handguns at Marlborough? Do the officers at the door store the magazines and band the action as they do at the big E? (I usually carry one of my bottom feeders[wink] )Thanks,
-Wayne

They have a table just after where the tickets are. There are two or three guys there and they ask you if you have any loaded weapons. If you do, they ask you to unload them. Then they put the ammo/magazine into a baggie. You write you name on a piece of paper and that goes in the bag too. I think they also put a wire tie through the action of the weapon.

Reverse the procedure when you leave.

Gary

They also want to know if you have ANY weapons as they want to wire-tie the actions.

They do this because some time ago...some idiot loaded a gun with ammo that they bought at the show...and it went off.

I was talking to a few dealers that were at the show in Springfield when it happened.. They said that it was LOUD...and then you could hear a pin drop for some time after that... Creaped everyone out. The lucky part was that it went up and got caught up in the rafters. Could have been worse.

But, I've been going to shows for about 20 years all over the country...and I've never been to one where they didn't check what you had when you walked into the door. MA is just the first I can remember where I've seen them wire tie the actions.

Having seen the kind of subjects that frequent gun shows, if I was producing a gun show and was paying for what ever liability insurance was necessary, I would sure as hell be checking weapons at the door.

ETA: I would however have absolutely no problem with concealed carry in the show.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom