• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Markey introducing possiable anti gun bill

Am I the only one that thinks bill is DOA. I mean seriously, why even get worked up about it. For god sakes he uses the term James Bind technology.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I finally saw the clip on the news last night and was shocked when a reporter asked him about infringing on law abiding gun owners rights.
The deer in headlights look on his face for a few seconds was priceless.
All he could come up with was to stammer "Well it's a public health issue"
Cudo's to the reporter whoever she was.

I think I found my new pet peeve...

I am tired of this use of "public health issue" as a way for some politician to justify their own agenda.

It isn't a "public health issue". It is a political issue.

Public health issues are things like pathogens in our water supply, contagious and communicable diseases, heck, I will even give you obesity and diabetes.

Name one disease that firearms cause?

Violence may be epidemic, but it isn't caused by a pathogen or toxin or something in the water. Unless we find out that there are mind control drugs in the water supply, stop trying to get the public health officials involved and stop calling it what it isn't.

People behaving badly isn't a disease, but it is epidemic.

I am tired of this use of "public health issue" as a way for some politician to justify their own agenda.

Public health issues are things like pathogens in our water supply, contagious and communicable diseases, heck, I will even give you obesity and diabetes.

Violence may be epidemic, but it isn't caused by a pathogen or toxin or something in the water. Unless we find out that there are mind control drugs in the water supply, stop trying to get the public health officials involved and stop calling it what it isn't.

I wouldn't even give in on violence being an epidemic. The murder rates and crime rates in the US have been steadily declining over the past 10 years.

The libtards argue that lead is toxic. It is. But it is still a libtard argument.

Gottahavitz Disease. It can turn you into a pauper in no time....a pauper with lotsa guns though. [wink]

Oh geez, I've got that disease bad. I'm obsessed with getting a Model 36/Chief's Special but I've told myself and the significant other that I won't buy more guns for a while.

I guess you all missed Markey explaining to reporters how quickly smart gun will recognize your own finger print. He said that it will be as fast as entering password on the cell phone! I think his password must be "1". Who in this sorry state keeps voting for such a stellar snake charmer?

The fingerprint scanner at Norwood PD didn't work worth a frig, and the dude kept mashing my finger into it so many times it started to go numb from nerve-pinching. The one on my laptop just plain doesn't work.

I can't think of one valid reason why a homeowner should be faced the risk of an invalid print read while his assailant comes in your front door with only reaction-time standing between his bullet and your brain.

I emailed him to let him know in no uncertain terms that he is not representing all of the people in MA. Some of us disagree with his approach. Perhaps if he heard from a few hundred more of us, he might back down from his rhetoric.

http://www.markey.senate.gov/contact

Sure, because hearing from a few thousand of us worked so well in Connecticut. LOL

Am I the only one that thinks bill is DOA. I mean seriously, why even get worked up about it. For god sakes he uses the term James Bind technology.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think so too. Ya just can't fix stupid. This guys an idiot! I see him on TV the other night making me sick to my stomach I wanted to throw my TV through the window!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Sure, because hearing from a few thousand of us worked so well in Connecticut. LOL
F CT and their laws. SHTF guns are for SHTF and SHTF is Live or Die, not go-home or go-to-jail. Worried about SHTF? Buy a bullet hose a burry it on someone else's property.

Got an email back from Markey today. Totally a generated response.
Thank you for contacting me about gun violence and firearm safety. It was good to hear from you.

Every American has a Second Amendment right to bear arms for the purposes of recreation and self-defense. However, I believe we must enact the proper protections to prevent assault weapons from hitting our streets and to keep firearms out of the wrong hands. The safety and security of Massachusetts' schools, streets and communities is of the utmost importance to me. Washington is lagging behind the rest of the country on gun control reforms. As a Senator, I will continue to fight for universal background checks, a strong assault weapons ban and a prohibition against high capacity ammunition magazines. It's time to get these military-style weapons off of our streets so that these deadly weapons don't fall into the wrong hands.

On February 27th of this year, I introduced "The Handgun Trigger Safety Act" to ensure that only authorized users can operate handguns. In the 21st century, we should use advances in technology to our own advantage and save lives. This is the type of gun safety legislation that everyone - regardless of political party or affiliation - should be able to support.

We need to study gun violence like the public health crisis it is. That's why I called on President Obama to commit funding for a federal gun violence research agenda with my colleague, Rep. Carolyn Maloney of New York. Gun violence research should be a permanent priority so that we no longer look back and say that we didn't commit any resources to a cause of death that took more people last year than leukemia.

In the Senate, I've also cosponsored a number of bills that I believe represent common-sense solutions that will make our country safer, including S.150, the "Assault Weapons Ban of 2013," S. 22, the "Gun Show Background Check Act of 2013", and S. 54, the "Stop Illegal Trafficking in Firearms Act of 2013." I've also become a co-sponsor of S. 1149, the "Undetectable Firearms Modernization Act," which bans plastic guns fabricated via 3D printers. That ban was reauthorized by Congress and signed in to law by President Obama on December 9, 2013. In March 2013, I joined every member of the Massachusetts congressional delegation in pledging support for universal gun background checks as a common sense reform to help end gun violence.

I am a longstanding leader in efforts to reduce gun violence and I successfully fought for closure of a loophole that was enabling the importation into the United States of large quantities of Chinese assault weapons in the 1990s. As long as I am in the Senate, I will continue to fight for common-sense gun control reforms.

It is past time for a national debate on gun control, and it is vital that we find and enact solutions that will finally bring an end to this terrible trend in mass shootings.

Thank you again for contacting me about this issue. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me. To sign up for my newsletter,visit http://www.markey.senate.gov/newsletter. You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.

Sincerely,

Edward J. Markey
United States Senator

here is my note:

Dear Senator, I’d like to remind you that the Constitution prohibits congress from infringing on an individual’s right to bear arms. If you want to reduce gun violence in the urban precincts, work harder to get people back to work and off welfare.

You clearly do not represent the many of us in Massachusetts who are law abiding citizens.

Also, please include a "Civil Rights" section in your subject drop down menu. Civil Rights isnt limited to LGBT issues.

Update- I got the same spin-doctored garbage auto reply as others have shared. I am going to escalate my displeasure. Time to start working the phones.

Will it stop markey from infringing on the RKBA? No. But I hope I can make his life as misreable as possible.

A-hole Markey said:
Every American has a Second Amendment right to bear arms for the purposes of recreation and self-defense.

Send his letter back and tell him to read the Constitution again and show where it says this. Then tell him to shove his gun bills up his ass.

Tell him it was put in to keep tyrannical Governments in check.

Last edited:
From the recent CDC study, pages 15-16.

Defensive Use of Guns

Defensive use of guns by crime victims is a common occurrence, although the exact number remains disputed (Cook and Ludwig, 1996; Kleck, 2001a). Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million (Kleck, 2001a), in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008 (BJS, 2010). On the other hand, some scholars point to a radically lower estimate of only 108,000 annual defensive uses based on the National Crime Victimization Survey (Cook et al., 1997). The variation in these numbers remains a controversy in the field. The estimate of 3 million defensive uses per year is based on an extrapolation from a small number of responses taken from more than 19 national surveys. The former estimate of 108,000 is difficult to interpret because respondents were not asked specifically about defensive gun use.

A different issue is whether defensive uses of guns, however numerous or rare they may be, are effective in preventing injury to the gun-wielding crime victim. Studies that directly assessed the effect of actual defensive uses of guns (i.e., incidents in which a gun was “used” by the crime victim in the sense of attacking or threatening an offender) have found consistently lower injury rates among gun-using crime victims compared with victims who used other self-protective strategies (Kleck, 1988; Kleck and DeLone, 1993; Southwick, 2000; Tark and Kleck, 2004). Effectiveness of defensive tactics, however, is likely to vary across types of victims, types of offenders, and circumstances of the crime, so further research is needed both to explore these contingencies and to confirm or discount earlier findings.

Even when defensive use of guns is effective in averting death or injury for the gun user in cases of crime, it is still possible that keeping a gun in the home or carrying a gun in public—concealed or open carry—may have a different net effect on the rate of injury. For example, if gun ownership raises the risk of suicide, homicide, or the use of weapons by those who invade the homes of gun owners, this could cancel or outweigh the beneficial effects of defensive gun use (Kellermann et al., 1992, 1993, 1995). Although some early studies were published that relate to this issue, they were not conclusive, and this is a sufficiently important question that it merits additional, careful exploration.

Back
Top Bottom