Marines Set New Record with 22-Mile Shot

I just never thought of arty for precision strikes. new to me.

It's a new capability. Combined with the Archer (suppose to be able to extend the range of Excalibur to 60km) you have mobile artillary units that are now able to provide close ground support to troops covering 1,000 square miles from a single location without having the expense of maintaining constant arial assets associated with air strikes, which use weapon systems that are just as expensive to provide close combat suppport.

It also allows artillary engagements of targets in semi-populated areas. They can drop one onto a house and be fairly certain it will hit the target house (Iraq usage statistics show 92% of shells land within 4 meters) and not accidentally shell a house 2 blocks away, serving the same purpose as Hellfire, JDAM or other precision munisions with a much lower cost of delivery, even if it's a similar cost of the weapon itself.

The Excalibur shell can also be used to engage targets much closer than the M795 (which doesn't arm until after reaching the apex of its ballistic arc for safety reasons) could, allowing them to operate with less close support of of their own.

"Collateral damage" is kind of a big part of why we won't ever be able to "win" the "war on terror"... How would you feel if your neighbor was a terrorist and the .gov used a drone to blow up his house, but they also hit your house and killed your wife and kids by accident, and then told you "It's for your own safety"? I bet you'd be pretty pissed.

Solid-state electronics are incredibly shock resistant. The electronics themselves can take tens of thousands of Gs without damage. The failure point is the mounting of the devices to the circuit boards. You either ensure the G-forces drive the components into the board (which is standard for missile applications) or reinforce the mounting with coatings (also standard)

As a former rocket scientist, the correct answer is to use the proper potting material

GPS guided? I wonder if halfway through its flight you get a "recalculating" message and it tells you to safely make a u-turn when possible

I never heard of GPS guided artillery.

That is pretty amazing.

Now, just don't mix your numbers up because those shells are sure expensive!

GPS guided? I wonder if halfway through its flight you get a "recalculating" message and it tells you to safely make a u-turn when possible

[laugh2] seems like every damn GPS I've tried does that, so I wouldn't doubt it![laugh]

Group buy anyone? Seems like with all the "go time" talk these days, this would be on everyone's short list![wink]

[laugh2] seems like every damn GPS I've tried does that, so I wouldn't doubt it![laugh]

Group buy anyone? Seems like with all the "go time" talk these days, this would be on everyone's short list![wink]

I thought about buying a few, but I just can't seem to throw them far enough.

Now, if I could find a used Archer mobile artillary for sale cheap...

Back
Top Bottom