Marine faces 15 years behind bars for unknowingly violating gun law

Reptile

NES Member
New story, this happened when this man tried to check his gun at the Empire State Building.
----

Ryan Jerome was enjoying his first trip to New York City on business when the former Marine Corps gunner walked up to a security officer at the Empire State Building and asked where he should check his gun.

That was when Jerome’s nightmare began. The security officer called police and Jerome spent the next two days in jail.

The 28-year-old with no criminal history now faces a mandatory minimum sentence of three and a half years in prison. If convicted, his sentence could be as high as fifteen years.

Jerome has a valid concealed carry permit in Indiana and visited New York believing that it was legal to bring his firearm. He was traveling with $15,000 worth of jewelry that he planned to sell.

The online gun-law information Jerome read was inaccurate, however, and his late September arrest initiated what may become a protracted criminal saga. He hasn’t yet been indicted by a grand jury, but there may be little legal wiggle-room if he is.

(cont.)

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/01/03/m...-unknowingly-violating-gun-law/#ixzz1iPSsr7E0

----

I did a search on NES for "Ryan Jerome" so this is not a dupe.

I traveled through NY when I went to Michigan last year, but all my stuff was locked up in the back of the car buried underneath everything else. I called the proper authorities in every state we traveled through to find out their laws before I left. So I wonder where he did his research. Conceal carry is obviously different, but I'm just saying. It's obviously retarded, hopefully he will not get jammed up too badly.

Sometimes I wonder what all the fuss is about. NYC saved some innocent person that day from a crazed madman is I'm sure how they'll spin it. More gun control is what we need here.[thinking]

I grew up in NJ, my Dad had an office adjacent to Battery Park. I have spent many, MANY hours enjoying all that NYC has to offer over the years, from Greenwich Village to shopping to Broadway. I have been to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty several times, and shot several rolls of film from the top of the Trade Center. I've been to Times Square more than once, although never for New Years. NYC has SO much to offer, and it's a crying SHAME that my CONSTITUTIONAL rights evaporate the instant I cross the border. The only, ONLY, use I have for that bastion of liberal insanity is to use it as a pass-through to get back "home" to visit. If there was a way to avoid it other that driving around the state, I would do it in a heartbeat. Sadly, I can't, but I won't do anything else there. It's not much, but I am resoundingly IN on a boycott. And if this poor Marine, who DEFENDED my right to carry a gun is prosecuted, I would be honored to send the equivalent of a month's purchase of ammunition towards his defense.

This is the second one in like a week. Someone is behind this.

What happened to common sense these days? Apart from the laws being ridiculous in the first place if they want to be gun-free then The NYC "authorities", should just ship the firearm back to an FFL near the guy's home and let him finish his business trip. He can pick it up when he gets home. But we all know common sense has completely gone from some states these days.

Where are the folks that are going to come along and tell us that the Security Guard who disarmed this man was just doing their job? Where are the apologists telling us that "the law is the law and HE SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER!" Who here thinks that this man who wrote your safety a blank check payable with his own life should be prosecuted because he broke an unconstitutional law?

This is the sort of master/slave relationship that happens when you let the TSA handle your kids. This is what happens when you play along with taking off your shoes to take a flight. This is what happens when an entire state bows to the will of an enclave of dependents that all crowd into one city. Security guards frisking you on the way into the Empire State Building? Really, America?

Folks, I said before and will say it again, There needs to be Total Boycott of the whole state of New York. Not just New York City. Yeah, that means, I am not going fishing in Pulaski or hunting else where upstate. Any other commerce that you can think of, Until Albany revokes New York City's Home Rule.
Those of you that belong to other sites like this, need to talk this up, If you don't then you are all full of SHIT.

I have family who live in NY...Staten Island, actually. I don't visit them anymore because of NY. The only time I see them is when they come to my father's house...because they refuse to visit mine, where I harbor "evil weapons that have no purpose but to kill people" [banghead]

Sickening
This

Folks, I said before and will say it again, There needs to be Total Boycott of the whole state of New York. Not just New York City. Yeah, that means, I am not going fishing in Pulaski or hunting else where upstate. Any other commerce that you can think of, Until Albany revokes New York City's Home Rule.
Those of you that belong to other sites like this, need to talk this up, If you don't then you are all full of SHIT.

i_dont_love_new_york_tshirt-p235560573364054730z8igc_125.jpg

Easy to say if you don't have family in NYS.

I am saddened by the plight of this Marine and others that have been caught in this deliberately set trap to make honest citizens of other states felons in NYC and NYS. I think these laws suck and need to be overturned in ALL states. No infringement on 2A rights. Period.

If he eventually has a defense fund, I will contribute.

This guys had this issue months ago. The stories are coming out because H.R. 822 is up for vote in the senate soon.

That makes sense. This must happen a lot more that I would have guessed.

That makes sense. This must happen a lot more that I would have guessed.

Probably once or twice a month if not more. It's not just the destination spots with magnetometers but the airport and terry stops which NYPD use often that expose these dastardly criminals.

It continues to amaze me how people that have CCW permits don't check the laws in other states before visiting and bringing their guns!

Yes this sucks and is not right but there are a lot of stupid people out there.

Oh Well, It is time fish or cut bait. The people that live there need to feel the heat so that they will respond and fix the problem. While they are Fat, Dumb, and Happy, Nothing will change.

It's a mostly-free country and you're entitled to your opinion. Once again, it's easy to arm-chair quarterback 100 years of NYS politics and say what 'the people' should and shouldn't do when you haven't lived there or been involved at all.

Where are the folks that are going to come along and tell us that the Security Guard who disarmed this man was just doing their job? Where are the apologists telling us that "the law is the law and HE SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER!" Who here thinks that this man who wrote your safety a blank check payable with his own life should be prosecuted because he broke an unconstitutional law?

This is the sort of master/slave relationship that happens when you let the TSA handle your kids. This is what happens when you play along with taking off your shoes to take a flight. This is what happens when an entire state bows to the will of an enclave of dependents that all crowd into one city. Security guards frisking you on the way into the Empire State Building? Really, America?

It continues to amaze me how people that have CCW permits don't check the laws in other states before visiting and bringing their guns!

This reminds me of when I asked my friends ex who was a prosecutor in NYC if she let politics influence her work. She said no so I posed the question of people carrying a gun they own for defense on their person when in the city. She replied she would prosecute with full force as anyone with a gun in NYC is a criminal, no matter the circumstances. It's funny to me that lawyers all pass an ethics exam. Legal situations like this are one of the reasons my dad stopped working as a prosecutor.

Mike

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Not many people check the knife laws when they travel to Boston. We have been trained here in Mass to be paranoid about everything [thinking] not everyone else has

Not many people check the knife laws when they travel to Boston. We have been trained here in Mass to be paranoid about everything [thinking] not everyone else has

Even in MA many still don't pay attention. There are still thousands of people in this state waltzing around with their "For Life" FID cards that got revoked by the state over a decade ago that still don't think they're breaking the law. Then there are the tons of people who carry pepper spray illegally. (which only highlights the idiocy inherent to that stupid law. )

-Mike

Easy to say if you don't have family in NYS.
I do have family in NY. I refuse to enter and they refuse to visit because of my "arsenal". /shrug

Don't get caught with a blade in NYC, end of story. My brother had a swiss army keychain knife hanging from his pocket on the subway...two undercovers popped out of nowhere and took him to the ground. My brother was in the subway, in a business suit (he worked for a major publishing company)....but apparently, his evil swiss army was validation for the putzes to knock him to the ground, cuff him, arrest him, on the grounds of carrying a "deadly weapon".

He since quit his job and moved back to NH. He had to head back to NY for his hearing where they delivered a massive fine.

F**K New York.....

Back
Top Bottom