Manchester-by-the-Sea man arrested for stockpiling weapons and ammunition

Status
Not open for further replies.
(c) persons using underground or indoor target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant thereof;
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/269-12e.htm
Wouldn't the location being used as a range have to meet some pretty strict permitting/zoning/safety standards to become a legal firing range in the first place?
I don't think the attic of a house in a residential neighborhood could qualify, so shooting in there probably wouldn't be legal.

I hadn't read Alchemist17's thread in Gun Laws before I posted above. But I still find it hard to believe you can go shooting in your basement.

I hadn't read Alchemist17's thread in Gun Laws before I posted above. But I still find it hard to believe you can go shooting in your basement.

OMG, you mean MA could have possibly overlooked an aspect of protecting us from our selves leaving nothing but common sense and personal liability to stop people from hurting themselves or others? [thinking]

Sorry to say that it is your expectation of the state as an all knowing protector that is the root of the problem.

"Is this legal?" Is not a question a free, ethical preson with common sense should ever have to ask before doing something they otherwise feel comfortable doing...

How far we have fallen...

I just saw this on whdh "linked below" I was going to start a thread but you guys are 43 pages ahead of me

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO135645/

Having a gun range in a condo is alittle dumb if you ask me or anywhere kids are around. Lets say the ATF didn't know about the range before they ex a search warrant. I read that he had his LTC for 10months. I wounder if they got wind from all the regestrations "FA-10 forms FFL" being submitted and started to watch him. Everyone on here who has a LTC has a reason, most want to be prepared for something, if someone wants to do harm to you or your family, some for sport, whatever the case maybe he had a right to have the guns which were legal. Now grenades, tear gas, a range and machine guns. In the eyes of the government that looks like anarchist, possible terrorist. I dont know if terorist would reg there firearms though.

This would not be a issue in NH

My question is How many of you think the govenment over stepped?
I think in this case they didnt BUT if he had all legal guns that would be a diffrent story. ps he lost a ton of money

"Is this legal?" Is not a question a free, ethical preson with common sense should ever have to ask before doing something they otherwise feel comfortable doing...

And yet it one we have to ask before roasting a hot dog over a campfire in our own back yards. Before tuning our car's engine for better performance. Before building a shed larger than a certain size. Before having a drink one hour before your 21st birthday. Before...

He's facing a hearing today. I noted this line in the latest Globe story: "He is facing additional charges in connection a search of his boat late last week."

I bet they've finally found something to get him on, maybe safe-storage laws.

EDIT: Latest article. More vague charges, although I've got to wonder what the "silencers" thing is about.

http://www.gloucestertimes.com/permalink/local_story_046225441.html

Last edited:

At least for now, they're not charging him with having the indoor range.

He's facing a hearing today. I noted this line in the latest Globe story: "He is facing additional charges in connection a search of his boat late last week."

I bet they've finally found something to get him on, maybe safe-storage laws.

EDIT: Latest article. More vague charges, although I've got to wonder what the "silencers" thing is about.

Probably had a GSG 5SD.

Posession of two double edged knives...talk about sticking it to him (pun intended).

Posession of two double edged knives...talk about sticking it to him (pun intended).

Does anyone have the law to reference here? I understood (quite possibly incorrectly) that is was not legal to carry these, but one could own them.

ETA:
Chapter 269: Section 10. Carrying dangerous weapons; possession of machine gun or sawed-off shotguns; possession of large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device; punishment

"(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction."

I guess the question is if they can prove that he was carrying the item in his boat while it was under his control. It seems to me that it was stored in the boat at the time, and it was not discovered with him in control of the knife.

I don't see how this can stick.

Last edited:
Does anyone have the law to reference here? I understood (quite possibly incorrectly) that is was not legal to carry these, but one could own them.

I also was under the impression that the knives were legal to own but not carry. Then again, he is being charged with possessing the batons which I also thought were legal to own [thinking]

It's in the same sub-section as the "billy" club prohibition.

The legalities regarding carrying v possession are just as immaterial to the cops as is the police baton charge...

(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction.

Last edited:
So the police were wrong with this AGAIN as he did not have them on his person or in his vehicle at the time of arrest.

He was fixing a computer at home when SWAT kicked his door down.

Maybe the police should take a look in the kitchen and charge him with possessing some steak knives. Or maybe he has some "burglary tools" laying around they can get him on.

Obligatory Woody Allen quote:
You know, there's a word for people who think everyone is conspiring against them.
I know, perceptive.

If he wasn't paranoid before this event, he is right to be now...

These charges are turning into the joke of the year so far.
The knives double edged, automatic and otherwise are legal to own (not to carry) as well as everthing else they seem to attempt to demonize!

Hope he gets a decent lawyer and makes fools out of them!

These charges are turning into the joke of the year so far.
The knives double edged, automatic and otherwise are legal to own (not to carry) as well as everthing else they seem to attempt to demonize!

Hope he gets a decent lawyer and makes fools out of them!

But but, the double edged knives are TWICE as dangerous and can kill so many children! [laugh]

I too hope this guy does get a decent lawyer.

Even if he gets off, which I fervently hope he does. How likely do you think it is that his License will be reinstated, or that he will ever be able to get another one? Also, are the police still holding the guns or have they been transferred to the black hole for Dowd to watch over?

Even if he gets off, which I fervently hope he does. How likely do you think it is that his License will be reinstated, or that he will ever be able to get another one? Also, are the police still holding the guns or have they been transferred to the black hole for Dowd to watch over?

Agreed, even if the charges are tossed and this was all just a ploy by his wife to get him into trouble and make is life hell, well it worked. HE will be paying for lawyers and then storage fees for guns he will never get back.

If he gets off on the charges, they will have no choice but to give him atleast an FID and he may have to get a good firearms lawyer to fight for that!
In the end, the charges being tossed are going to make the PD seem incompetent to anyone else but the MOON BATS

If he gets off on the charges, they will have no choice but to give him atleast an FID and he may have to get a good firearms lawyer to fight for that!
In the end, the charges being tossed are going to make the PD seem incompetent to anyone else but the MOON BATS

Theoretically he could be cleared of all criminal charges but still be found mentally incompetent by the court appointed shrink.

In that situation, he'd be screwed for life at the federal level.

Silencers are illegal for guns (but mandatory for motorcycles - go figure?!) so if he truly had such he may be cooked after all.

If true it will be the first valid charge I've noticed. On the other hand, he may have simply left a bottle of soda and a roll of duct tape in the cabin...

Wow, scary stuff happening here. I hope everything gets sorted for this guy, because I fail to see where he proved himself to be a real menace to society. Just one more sad example of what an angry wife and a state chock full of moonbat scumbags can do to your rights. Makes me sick.

This thread made me sick until Tucobkg committed forum suicide.

Wouldn't be his first time. I seem to remember a thread Tuco started praising Obama's first 6 months in office, or something to that effect. Also, he chimed in on the Fat Teddy Won't Be Down For Breakfast thread to call us all a bunch of jerks for rejoicing in FT's demise. His credibility has been dead to me for a while.

Although he has taught me a valuable lesson: if your rep gets low enough, your rank just displays your forum name.

Something that has popped up in the latter half of this thread is that the wife had some nefarious role in some grand conspiracy here. We have ZERO evidence of this. None. Nada. Maybe it's true, but there is a very plausible alternative that's far less tin folio but still very plausible. That she told some friends something who didn't mind their own business and this chief has now run with it in a modern day witch hunt. Keep your minds open that the woman here is as much a victim of hoplophobia as her husband is.

That said, is there any word about how his dangerousness hearing went?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom