• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

man pulls gun outside a day care center - apprehended!

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...07/18/a_911_call_and_then_a_tussle_for_a_gun/

Four guys hanging around a day car center, one allegedly pulls a gun and is tackled by cops. Here's a little about him:

A 19-year-old who attends Delaware State University, Joseph was held on $15,000 cash bail after his arraignment yesterday in West Roxbury District Court. Police said they found crack cocaine and marijuana on him. He faces 13 charges, including carrying a loaded gun without a license, assault with a dangerous weapon, assault and battery on a police officer, and distributing drugs. He also has an outstanding warrant in Delaware.

Good response by Boston P.D., let's him he stays in jail for a while!

$15k cash bail.... he is probably back on the streets already and the charges will be negotiated down to a couple of misdemeanors for which he will get probation.

Mission Hill in Roxbury - I grew up there....

Joseph allegedly raised the gun. - Bad police work. They should have shot him.

Yesterday Police Commissioner Edward F. Davis praised Coyne and his partner - They deserve praise but this is a liberal ass only priased them because they didn't shoot the guy who deserved being shot for pulling a gun on cops.

Coyne and DePina know the neighborhood, known as Police District B-2, where an officer can gain the type of experience it would take years to acquire anywhere else. - Not when I lived there. It's a shame what happened to that place.

No one knew what Joseph's intentions were. His lawyer argued that he might have been trying to hand the gun to officers. - I think this lawyer need sto go along on a few police calls and get a reality check on what happens in the real world.

I don't understand the whole bail thing. Someone draws a gun on a policeman. Wouldn't that indicate that the guy is a danger, and ought to be in jail? What is wrong with this state???

I think this lawyer need sto go along on a few police calls and get a reality check on what happens in the real world.

I think he needs to have a gun pulled on him and then have someone argue the same case he is.....
our wonderful Justice system... boy Lawyers that argue things like this especially when there are possible kids that could have been killed really makes you question the right to an lawyer and a fair trial for people like that you know? At least it does me.... I am not saying I dont agree with the system but it really makes me wonder how we allow crap like that.

Last edited:

Coyne and DePina know the neighborhood, known as Police District B-2, where an officer can gain the type of experience it would take years to acquire anywhere else. - Not when I lived there. It's a shame what happened to that place.
QUOTE]

I lived on Shepherd Ave (across from the Mission Hill Apts) while in school in the late 80's. It was pretty dicey then. Had a guy pull a gun on me while working in the Huntington Ave Food Market. Nearly shat myself.

$15k cash bail.... he is probably back on the streets already and the charges will be negotiated down to a couple of misdemeanors for which he will get probation.

I agree. That IS how the system actually works. The gun charge will be "filed" (not prosecuted), guaranteed.

I don't understand the whole bail thing. Someone draws a gun on a policeman. Wouldn't that indicate that the guy is a danger, and ought to be in jail? What is wrong with this state???

Sorry, I totally disagree. Pull a gun on a LEO and the only thing that you deserve is a "dirt nap"!

I went to Wentworth in the mid 70's...the owners of the subshop next to Punter's pub openly wore S&W mod 59's (I believe).

place was going downhill then

[QUOTE/]The next moment erupted in a flash, making this police call anything but routine. Joseph allegedly raised the gun. Police tackled him, and a fierce struggle ensued.
Um, why'd they tackle him instead of filling him with lead?

I went to Wentworth in the mid 70's...the owners of the subshop next to Punter's pub openly wore S&W mod 59's (I believe).

I was at NU in '65-70 and used to go to that sub shop. Don't recall ever seeing anyone armed there however.

In 1971, the guy who ran the "head shop" across from NU used to open carry a small revolver. He was also an ex-felon and later accused of murdering a girl at a party in the early 1970s.

The SO of my Wife's Cousin used to manage a camera store on Mass Ave between Huntington and Boylston and he open carried a revolver as well. I'm guessing this was 1970-1.

Joseph allegedly raised the gun. - Bad police work. They should have shot him.

The danger to those around you and the intended target will determine is the use of deadly force is wise. Outside a daycare center how many children, parents and staff were present and where were they placed? Would deadly force in the form of gunfire place those people in a position to be injured or killed. Those that tackled him placed themselves in a precarious position to be sure. Fortunately they stopped the threat without injury to the innocents around them.

First, they were by a day care, not the best place to start a gun fight.

Second, he was tackeld, which means the cop was probably standing next to him when he pulled it. There is a point where your better off going hands on then trying to beat someone on a draw.

Only $15K for bail!? WTF, its like these retards let the criminals out so they can have a reason for more laws![angry]

Only $15K for bail!? WTF, its like these retards let the criminals out so they can have a reason for more laws

Don't you know that some judges feel that all criminals are just a result of the failings of society....

Someone who:

1. Has an outstanding warrant;

2. Is carrying drugs;

3. And an unlicensed gun

4. Apparently w/i 500' of a school; and

5. Possibly ON THE GROUNDS of said school;

is will not get a "filed," as there is no longer any such provision. Neither is he a likely candidate for a CWOF. There may be a plea-bargain (not that he seems to have much to bargain with), but those expecting no jail time are probably incorrect.

The remarks on this thread also show ignorance of how bail is determined. The amount of bail is a function of the likelihood of the defendant appearing at trial; the less likely, the higher the bail.

The DA may request a "dangerousness hearing" to determine whether that issue should be addressed, but it does not appear that happened in this case.

AHHH Punters Pub,I went to Wentworth in the mid 80's what a great dive.Never did visit the sub shop next door I guess I was to busy drinking.

Bail is not meant to be punitive. As stated previously it is strctly a mechanism to secure appearance at court.

It is also a right that everyone is entitled to.[rolleyes]

I agree. That IS how the system actually works. The gun charge will be "filed" (not prosecuted), guaranteed.

Sorry, I totally disagree. Pull a gun on ANYONE and the only thing that you deserve is a "dirt nap"!

Fixed it for you and totally agree. It's a good thing this all ended with no one hurt, but pull a gun on me and I don't care if we're in a room full of puppies and toddlers I'm shooting you...

Scriv, I'll stand by what I stated that the gun charge will be "filed".

It is SOP according to no less an authority than a chief justice at one of the district courts. At the time he was hearing no less than 35 criminal cases/day, many with some similarity to your list of offenses, in one of the roughest cities in MA. I challenged him on this exact point some years ago at a public speaking engagement to LE.

QUOTE]

I lived on Shepherd Ave (across from the Mission Hill Apts) while in school in the late 80's. It was pretty dicey then. Had a guy pull a gun on me while working in the Huntington Ave Food Market. Nearly shat myself.

I lived on Dell Ave, Calumet near Oswald and then Torpie Street of Tremont. I left there in 1993 and I know there were things happening but it was still a pretty decent place as comparedto other parts of Boston.

I'm sorry... I would need to see the police report on this...

I mean... he was 19 years old... and we all know you need to be 21 to get an LTC in MA... so how could he have possibly even had such a gun???

Sorry... it's Friday... running low on, well... everything... [wink]

The remarks on this thread also show ignorance of how bail is determined. The amount of bail is a function of the likelihood of the defendant appearing at trial; the less likely, the higher the bail.

The DA may request a "dangerousness hearing" to determine whether that issue should be addressed, but it does not appear that happened in this case.

Good point about bail setting. However, why the hell didn't the DA request a dangerousness hearing? Someone who hangs out in an alley with a gun threatening to "put two in them", and then assaults the police officers responding sounds pretty dangerous to me.

The remarks on this thread also show ignorance of how bail is determined

Quite true but the judge has a range to work with up to the limits set under law, Some are noted for ROR or setting on the lower end of the scale. What is showing here is not as much a lack of knowledge of the rules and requirements of a fair bail as much as frustration with the system.

Johnny Bad Ass pulls firearm and points towards LEO or anyone.

The story should always end, "Johnny Bad Ass Shot Dead".

Just wonder if he shot anyone in the past?

Such a fine young man.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom