Making movies in mass W/ guns? Are they exempt from laws??

seanc

NES Member
This came up from another thread. But, with all of the movies being shot here as well as the talk of a movie studio a while back, it leads me to ask the question of are movies and actors specifically exempt from mass gun laws?

Were all of the actors in "the Departed" for example required to get LTC A's before filming?
Did any of these guns have mass prohibited post ban hi caps?
Did all that handled a machine gun have the appropriate green cards?

The flip side is if movie makers are exempted from all laws, then wouldn't any sort of shooting event and all shooters at that event be exempted as long as the event is being filmed??

This came up from another thread. But, with all of the movies being shot here as well as the talk of a movie studio a while back, it leads me to ask the question of are movies and actors specifically exempt from mass gun laws?

Were all of the actors in "the Departed" for example required to get LTC A's before filming?
Did any of these guns have mass prohibited post ban hi caps?
Did all that handled a machine gun have the appropriate green cards?

The flip side is if movie makers are exempted from all laws, then wouldn't any sort of shooting event and all shooters at that event be exempted as long as the event is being filmed??

In the PRM, only the taxpayers are subject to the gun laws. Actors/producers are of the ruling elite class, and they are exempt from these laws.

I have worked with a production as the "Certified Instructor" that they required to do the work. I needed to coach the performer in the handling, insure that no live ammo was present and take charge of the firearm at all times when the performer was not handling it. I presume that this is the same as allowing an person without a license to shoot under your supervision when you are licensed.

I can't answer the other questions.

Chapter 140: Section 131F1/2. Theatrical productions; carrying firearms and blank ammunition

Section 131F1/2. Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (a) of section ten of chapter two hundred and sixty-nine of the General Laws or any other law to the contrary, the carrying or possession of a firearm and blank ammunition therefor, during the course of any television, movie, stage or other similar theatrical production, by a person within such production, shall be authorized; provided, however, that such carrying or possession of such firearm shall be under the immediate supervision of a person licensed to carry firearms.

When we were filming a scene for "Shutter Island" (where the GI's are coming through the woods), 2 busloads of extras had to be transported to where the scene was being filmed, with blank-firing Garands, Carbines, etc. Unfortunately - or fortunately - there was only one armorer working and there had to be a licensed person present with each group. Since yours truly had his LTC-A, he was assigned as substitute armorer for the second bus. Pay bump and one SAG waiver!

I just stumbled across another exemption in MA law for people making movies and other media related handling of firearms.

MGL 140-129C(L) says:

(l) The possession or utilization of any rifle or shotgun during the course of any television, movie, stage or other similar theatrical production, or by a professional photographer or writer for examination purposes in the pursuit of his profession, providing such possession or utilization is under the immediate supervision of a holder of a firearm identification card or a license to carry firearms;

Interesting that it also includes photographers and writers.

Back
Top Bottom