Maine gun bill would allow concealed weapons without permit

An update on the bill: they hashed it over again today in the Senate. They added an amendment that would require sellers (ffl's) to provide safety literature with every sale. Big deal. But, it swayed a few more votes over to our side. Maybe even assuring its passing the Democrat controlled house.
I am cautiously optimistic.
I thought FFLs did that anyway? I always get extra lit when I buy a gun. I usually trash it and never look at it but I do get some.

- - - Updated - - -

The poll stopped recording votes [rofl] oops
http://www.pressherald.com/

Yea but you guys got the poll results to flip completely opposite to 59-41 [rofl2]

Today's Poll
Do you agree with the Senate vote to allow Mainers to carry a concealed handgun without a permit?

Yes: 59% 1533
No: 41% 1047

<http://www.pressherald.com/2015/05/28/maine-senate-votes-for-permit-free-concealed-handguns/>

An update on the bill: they hashed it over again today in the Senate. They added an amendment that would require sellers (ffl's) to provide safety literature with every sale. Big deal. But, it swayed a few more votes over to our side. Maybe even assuring its passing the Democrat controlled house.
I am cautiously optimistic.

Where the environmentalists to stop that crap. I don't look at it, I toss it. Damn it save a tree and don't waste my time.

That stuff, trigger locks.... It's sad some politicians think that makes a difference.

Today's Poll
Do you agree with the Senate vote to allow Mainers to carry a concealed handgun without a permit?

Yes: 59% 1875
No: 41% 1288

<http://www.pressherald.com/2015/05/28/maine-senate-votes-for-permit-free-concealed-handguns/>

It has passed!

I'm not so sure. Now they are voting on amendments to the bill. And it looks like the house committee report was Ought not to pass which is what they voted 83-63 on. Current amendment would require permit holders to notify police immediately upon encountering the police.

Scratch that, the majority report failed:
AUTH CARRYING OF CONCEALED HANDGUNS W/O A PERMIT, ACC MAJ OUGHT NOT TO PASS REP, Yea 63 Nay 79

I'm not so sure. Now they are voting on amendments to the bill. And it looks like the house committee report was Ought not to pass which is what they voted 83-63 on. Current amendment would require permit holders to notify police immediately upon encountering the police.

Scratch that, the majority report failed:
AUTH CARRYING OF CONCEALED HANDGUNS W/O A PERMIT, ACC MAJ OUGHT NOT TO PASS REP, Yea 63 Nay 79
Correct that vote was first.

Surprised that there are a lot of permit holders in the house

I understand the process now. What happened is the majority report (ought not to pass, equal to ITL in NH) failed 63-79. So a motion to accept the minority report of Ought to Pass as amended was put forth and that was accepted 83-62.

AUTH CARRYING OF CONCEALED HANDGUNS W/O A PERMIT, ACC MIN OTP AS AMENDED REP, Yea 83 Nay 62

Now we are in the amendment phase.

I understand the process now. What happened is the majority report (ought not to pass, equal to ITL in NH) failed 63-79. So a motion to accept the minority report of Ought to Pass as amended was put forth and that was accepted 83-62.

AUTH CARRYING OF CONCEALED HANDGUNS W/O A PERMIT, ACC MIN OTP AS AMENDED REP, Yea 83 Nay 62

Now we are in the amendment phase.

Keeping fingers crossed!

I think the amendment requiring officer notification passed:

6-1, LD 652, AUTH CARRYING OF CONCEALED HANDGUNS W/O A PERMIT, ADOPT HAH-242 TO CAS-119, Yea 81 Nay 65

Which means the bill must now go back to the senate.

From the bill summary:

6/1/2015 - Under suspension of the rules, the Bill was given its SECOND READING without REFERENCE to the Committee on Bills in the Second Reading.
The Bill was PASSED TO BE ENGROSSED as Amended by Committee Amendment "A" (S-119) as Amended by House Amendment "A" (H-242), House Amendment "B" (H-247) and Senate Amendment "B" (S-153) thereto.
In NON-CONCURRENCE and sent for concurrence.
ORDERED SENT FORTHWITH.

Here are the House amendments that passed:

Duty to inform officer immediately if carrying concealed:
http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/bills/getPDF.asp?paper=SP0245&item=11&snum=127

It appears as though this amendment also passed that limits constitutional carry to those age 21 or older:

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/bills/getPDF.asp?paper=SP0245&item=7&snum=127

Not perfect but still better than the current permit system.

One of the early posters on this thread stated that this is for residents only, but it doesn't read that way.

Is this for Maine residents only?

One of the early posters on this thread stated that this is for residents only, but it doesn't read that way.

Is this for Maine residents only?

No it is not. That poster is 100% wrong. I have no idea where that poster got that idea.

Duty to inform......does that mean if I am in line at dunks and a sherrif gets in line behind me I have to tell him I am carrying?
Can't view doc for some reason....

Here is the text:

Amend the amendment by inserting after the first paragraph after the title the following:
‘Sec. 3. 25 MRSA §2003-A is enacted to read:
§ 2003-A. Duty to inform law enforcement
When an individual who is carrying a concealed handgun pursuant to the authority of this chapter first comes into contact with any law enforcement officer of this State or its political subdivisions or a federal law enforcement officer during the course of any arrest, detainment or routine traffic stop, that individual shall immediately inform that law enforcement officer of the fact that the individual is carrying a concealed handgun.
Sec. 4. 25 MRSA §2004, sub-§5 is enacted to read:

5. Failure to inform law enforcement. A person who fails to comply with section 2003-A commits a civil violation for which a fine of not more than $100 may be adjudged.’
Amend the amendment by relettering or renumbering any nonconsecutive Part letter or section number to read consecutively.

SUMMARY
This amendment requires an individual who is carrying a concealed handgun and who is stopped by a law enforcement officer to immediately inform the law enforcement officer of the individual’s possession of the concealed handgun.

Duty to inform......does that mean if I am in line at dunks and a sherrif gets in line behind me I have to tell him I am carrying?
Can't view doc for some reason....
I can't imagine that would be the case. Probably if an officer pulls you over or detains you for something.

I'm not a big fan of this amendment.

No it is not. That poster is 100% wrong. I have no idea where that poster got that idea.

They probably were confused by press reports on the bill. When Kansas passed con carry a few months ago, I saw article saying "kansas residents can now carry without a permit" type wording. The media doesn't understand gun laws and how the exact wording of a bill is a very important thing. I saw articles that had it as only kansas residents and for any non PP. I tweeted one of the sponsors of the bill in the kansas legislature to get it confirmed it was true con carry.

If Maine now requires you to inform police of your lawful conduct, it's worse.

What's worse: informing police of your lawful conduct, or having to acquire a permit for that same lawful conduct?

FYI: I'm on the record as not favoring the amendment.

Back
Top Bottom