Maine gun bill would allow concealed weapons without permit

Some states, maybe Kansas?, specifically say resident in their Constitutional Carry laws. Don't think the Maine one does, just typical media reporting. That is to say inaccurate.

Yeah after reading Kansas law summary it really doesn't sound like constitutional carry either Give the AG the option to pick and choose states

Constitutional Carry; SB 45
SB 45
amends laws concerning the concealed carry of firearms. The bill adds language
allowing the concealed carry of a firearm without a concealed carry license issued by the State,
as long as that individual is not prohibited from possessing a firearm under either federal or

state law. The bill specifies the carrying of a concealed handgun cannot be prohibited in any
building unless the building is posted in accordance with rules and regulations adopted by the
Attorney General. Concealed carry licenses will still be issued by the State, but the availability of
those licenses cannot be construed to prohibit the carrying of handguns without a license,
whether carried openly or concealed, loaded or unloaded.
Related to concealed carry licenses, the bill also allows the Attorney General to create a
list of concealed carry handgun licenses or permits from other jurisdictions that have training
requirements greater than or equal to the Kansas requirements. This list can be used by the
Attorney General when reviewing concealed carry license applications and making a
determination about whether an individual has completed an approved handgun safety and
training course required for issuance of a concealed carry license. The bill also defines “equal to
or greater than,” “jurisdiction,” and “license or permit” for the purposes of the new section of law.
The bill amends the definition of “criminal carrying of a weapon” to clarify that it is not
legal for anyone under 21 years of age to carry any pistol, revolver, or other firearm concealed
on one’s person, except when on such person’s land or in such person’s abode or fixed place of
business.

Kansas is constutional carry for residents and non residents (as long as you are not a prohibited person). I contacted the author of the law when they passed it. The only state who restrict con carry to their residents only is wyoming. All others are vermont style full con carry.

Maine permit or a resident permit from a state that has reciprocity with Maine. Since you live in Mass you are SOL and will need to get a Maine non-resident permit if you want to carry and not have to notify police immediately.

Do you have the wording for the new reciprocity agreement with New Hampshire? Will a NH non-resident permit be a permit under the new law? Thx

Do you have the wording for the new reciprocity agreement with New Hampshire? Will a NH non-resident permit be a permit under the new law? Thx

There is no agreement yet. The laws of both states now read substantially the same (But the Maine law doesn't take effect until October sometime). However both states laws also state "resident permit/license." So a non-resident license is a no go per the law itself.

I'm sorry to say but if you live in Mass you are shit outta luck and can either carry in Maine without the permit (and thus have to immediately notify police during an official encounter) or apply for the Maine non-resident permit which does not have that requirement.

I'm sorry to say but if you live in Mass you are shit outta luck and can either carry in Maine without the permit (and thus have to immediately notify police during an official encounter) or apply for the Maine non-resident permit which does not have that requirement.

I don't have a problem with with telling a Maine cop I am concealing a handgun. Its more convenient to do that than open carry.

So I'm reading this bill and have a question

If someone had a protection order 8 years ago in a different state and it was dropped does that disqualify you from participating in this law? I believe it means active protection orders

According to the permit application it would be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So I'm reading this bill and have a question

If someone had a protection order 8 years ago in a different state and it was dropped does that disqualify you from participating in this law?

According to the permit application it would be fine

A temporary restraining order does not disqualify one from possessing a firearm for life, only for the time the order is valid. And as you said, the permit app says it is fine. The law itself just states if you can possess a firearm per federal and state law, you can carry it concealed without a license.

Yeah further reading of the Maine law regarding prohibited persons rule says "is subject to an order of protection" meaning currently

So is the state of Maine totally doing away with the permit process all together or are people still going to be applying

Last edited:
Yeah further reading of the Maine law regarding prohibited persons rule says "is subject to an order of protection" meaning currently

So is the state of Maine totally doing away with the permit process all together or are people still going to be applying

The permit will be optional. Though they are killing off some positions at the state police so the wait time might be longer when applying for it.

There is no agreement yet. The laws of both states now read substantially the same (But the Maine law doesn't take effect until October sometime). However both states laws also state "resident permit/license." So a non-resident license is a no go per the law itself.

Thank you! That is what I figured.

I've been following this thread since the beginning I didn't want to go back and look. The last I read this law would become effective 90 days after signing, is that correct. Just want to clarify what day it becomes a law I'm going to be up in New Hampshire next week and I might pop over to Maine. I have my New Hampshire nonresident but I never sent my Maine in because I was waiting to see what happened with this bill.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I don't have a problem with with telling a Maine cop I am concealing a handgun. Its more convenient to do that than open carry.

I think it's ****ing stupid to be forced by law to do it, but I think in reality if enough LE up there get some kind of non shitty guidelines on this (for example, when and what type of inquiries notification is required under, and how LEOs should handle such encounters) the entire thing will be a non event.

ETA: part of this makes me think though, that the only reason the part of this crap is in the law, is because somehow if you have a maine CCW, the police
will "know" anyways via a relational database if your name gets run, hence notification isn't required because it's implied that if you have a Maine license, it's going to get discovered anyways on the stop, whether you like it or not.

-Mike

Last edited:
I misremembered his bumper sticker. I thought it read: "I <3 GUNS", which would be a great way to communicate to LE that you do in fact have a gun on you.

But it said "I <3 VIOLENCE"...

utg-05-13-08.jpg

I think it's ****ing stupid to be forced by law to do it, but I think in reality if enough LE up there get some kind of non shitty guidelines on this (for example, when and what type of inquiries notification is required under, and how LEOs should handle such encounters) the entire thing will be a non event.

ETA: part of this makes me think though, that the only reason the part of this crap is in the law, is because somehow if you have a maine CCW, the police
will "know" anyways via a relational database if your name gets run, hence notification isn't required because it's implied that if you have a Maine license, it's going to get discovered anyways on the stop, whether you like it or not.

-Mike
At this point there is no regional database. The Chief here said they'd have to get a call from another pd to verify a permit.

Anyone know if/when Maine and NH will honor each other's permits? Maine apparently has new reciprocity wording, which closely matches that of NH.

The Portland COP continues to whine. City filled with liberal pukes.
That is fine by me... Another reason not to go to Portland. I want to be everywhere in Maine except for Portland.

Sent via Tapatalk on my Android phone. Good news; Tapatalk sucks less than it used to.

So this law is now in effect. So with a NH Pistol and revolver license, Three states are free to travel with Concealed carry.

Anyone can now conceal carry in ME without a license. If you don't have a NH P&R you need to inform a cop you're carrying if you get pulled over.

Don't carry in state parks, don't carry in bars that are posted. Don't carry under the influence.
So, how do we deal with the state park one? Roads pass through state parks on the way to other places. Do I have to unload and lock it up prior to going down that road? Or is that not sufficient since it looks like the law forbids possession not just concealed carry? Do I toss the loaded gun out the window and pick it up on my return trip?

I went to the Maine state parks web site and it lists a rail trail from Farmington to Auburn. Hundreds of roads cross this. This really counts as a state park?

Sent via Tapatalk on my Android phone. Good news; Tapatalk sucks less than it used to.

Back
Top Bottom